The Randy Lerner thread

CI

3 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

So am I but I would not behave like that.

What exactly have they done? Does the 'surrender or you'll die' line from 'up the holte we go' rile you?

Edited by av1

I'll confess to rank hypocrisy (perhaps). I'm not keen on the chanting of songs about people dying and stuff. Whether it's Munich disaster, Shankly, or Randy Lerner.

On the other hand, the "source" for the chant last night was Liverpool fans chanting about Thatcher dying at Sunderland, and when I saw them doing that (on that youtube thing  that they have now, on the internet, there) I thought "yeah, that's a party I'll be having too. Go on scousers!" 

Maybe I could argue that Thatcher actually was an evil witch, so it's OK (she was an evil witch) and the football people were just players, managers and bumbling incompetents, rather than evil. But basically I'm a hypocrit. I don't think I'm the only one, either.

• Like 3

The only thing that is misguided in my humble opinion, is our loyal fans getting stick for a harmless song about our absent and uninterested owner. 

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They almost knocked the warm, plastic bottle of Carlsberg out of my hand. It was an ordeal

In a different era, those men would have been pouring that passion into the manufacturing of great motorbikes. If they only had the means to fix a broken club.

norton_dominator_99.jpg

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Just now, useless said:

The only thing left to look forward to, is Lerner selling the club. He should just sell it now for what he'd be willing to pay for it, if he was a buyer.

The daft word removed would probably slap in a £500m bid in today's market.

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'll confess to rank hypocrisy (perhaps). I'm not keen on the chanting of songs about people dying and stuff. Whether it's Munich disaster, Shankly, or Randy Lerner.

On the other hand, the "source" for the chant last night was Liverpool fans chanting about Thatcher dying at Sunderland, and when I saw them doing that (on that youtube thing that they have now, on the internet, there) I thought "yeah, that's a party I'll be having too. Go on scousers!" .

Maybe I could argue that Thatcher actually was an evil witch, so it's OK (she was an evil witch) and the football people were just players, managers and bumbling incompetents, rather than evil. But basically I'm a hypocrit. I don't think I'm the only one, either.

take it to the Politics thread hypocrit  :D

in the 80's I took part in the Munich 58 chanting etc , but I was 15 years old and didn't know better  ... now I'm 45 I cringe when I hear shit like that , as I did last night when I hear the Lerner is a rocket polisher chant  , I didn't hear the Lerner Die stuff  from where I was sitting

but for balance I did laugh out loud  at the Adebayor dad washes elephants , mums a whore chant from Spurs fans a few years ago so I'll join you at the hypocrite bar .... mines a lager shandy

Edited by tonyh29

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Granted bit difficult behind the glass of a corporate box prawn sandwich in hand

I was slumming it with West Ham Season ticket holder friends of mine so sitting with the poor people   .. had to queue up to get  a bottle of Carlsberg at Half time and then chug it down in 30 secs to avoid missing the start of the second half

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

On the other hand, the "source" for the chant last night was Liverpool fans chanting about Thatcher dying at Sunderland, and when I saw them doing that (on that youtube thing  that they have now, on the internet, there) I thought "yeah, that's a party I'll be having too. Go on scousers!" 

Not that it matters, but the chat actually came from Fc United fans singing about Glazer

• Like 1

The only thing that is misguided in my humble opinion, is our loyal fans getting stick for a harmless song about our absent and uninterested owner. 

Well no 'stick' came from me so you must have read it elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

How frankly bizarre . Want to show how the quote of mine you refer to in anyway references or supports the notion of the aggressive chanting that is being spoken about? Oh that's right it doesn't . 

I didn't say it did. I meant that it explains concisely the extent of Randy Lerner's cack handed attempt at owning a football club. He failed and keeps making the same mistakes. I don't feel anything was done out of malicious intent, but more so out of poor decision making. 

Hardly a reason to have a party when he dies. 

@DDID - I didn't say it was fine when footballers weren't rich. I'm saying that it's a game of football, where blokes kick something about a bit of grass, and it'll be that same game next season, and we'll still be Aston Villa Football Club, even though we're playing in the Championship. That it'll be against different teams in a lower division doesn't bother me. I don't feel it's enough reason have a party when someone dies. 

• Like 2

**** Lerner. He's a multimillionaire. And he is or was holding out for an extra 10-50 million for Villa. Now that doesn't mean that he goes into debt by that many million. It just means that he gets fewer tens of millions of pounds for selling the club he has run into the ground through his stupidity. Yeah his mates who have kept their billions during the past ten years are probably taking the piss out of him, but he earned **** none of it, having inherited it from his father. When you consider the poverty all over the world, it's criminal for someone to have tens of millions of pounds, and I think they should get **** destroyed at any opportunity, especially when he hasn't earned it through cleverness or ingenuity. A chant about hoping he dies is the very least he should be subjected to. He's not even at the game. 

Having said that, I'd rather the chants be stuff that might actually embarrass him. Like about the fact he has spunked away hundreds of millions of his dad's fortune, through being his idiot son. 'Freddie Lerner's idiot son'. Or about his failed marriage. Stuff like that. Partying when he dies is a bit general. And it is bread and butter for newspapers looking to make Villa fans look bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

That it'll be against different teams in a lower division doesn't bother me. I don't feel it's enough reason have a party when someone dies. 

You do realise that there wasn't actually a party. He didn't die. No one partied. Chances are they very few of those chanting would actually party when he dies. It's just a chant. Among men at a football match. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't agree. It's an expression of disgust, not a genuine wish. It's not up to others to decide what people are actually thinking.

When did football become so sanitised?

Couldn't agree more.

The singing won't actually make him die will it ?  Why shouldn't people say that.  The fact is, we might have more chance of prospering if he did die, so what's the problem in people chanting for it. He's ruining a huge chunk of my (recreational) life, something that I loved many moons before he came, something that has been enormous help to me in low times, something that has given me some of the happiest times of my life.  And times that by what, 100,000 fans ?  And he doesn't care. And yet we aren't allowed to wish him off, out the way, by any means.....

And what is all this tripe people saying he wants to sell ?

Wow, first it was people believing we genuinely tried to buy players. Now people saying he wants to sell (don't know if its the same people).

It is really really simple.  Almost as simple as anything can possibly be.  He owns it.  If he wants to sell it, he could sell it right now. I'll buy it.  There. Done.

What's that you say ?....

Oh I seeeee.  He wants to sell, but he doesn't want to sell unless...............

Now that is not the same thing is it ? Hence I can honestly say I couldn't care less what happens to the man, or what people  - who are still effectively handing their own money over to him - sing, write, or whatever about him.

• Like 3

Â