The Randy Lerner thread

CI

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The chants in the concourse are still out of order, no matter what we think of him as an owner. It just makes us look like the animals down the road.

Yes. I think it should be changed to "goes". 

• Like 2

The chants in the concourse are still out of order, no matter what we think of him as an owner. It just makes us look like the animals down the road.

I don't agree. It's an expression of disgust, not a genuine wish. It's not up to others to decide what people are actually thinking.

When did football become so sanitised?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The chanting wasn't just in the concourse FYI, it was in the stand too. I'd say about half the 1,900 or so that went to the game tonight sang it.

I hope the entire holte sing it on saturday. Make this words removed life uncomfortable. Make this kind of negativity hit national media. No one genuinely wants the man to die, like you said its a chant born out of hatred and disgust. Fair play to them.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The chanting wasn't just in the concourse FYI, it was in the stand too. I'd say about half the 1,900 or so that went to the game tonight sang it.

Slightly off topic, but the BBC constantly referred to 900 travelling Villa fans whereas I believe Sky's reporters claimed 2,000 - anyone know which it was?

I think it makes us look like idiots. Singing "we're gonna have a party, when Randy Lerner dies" just makes us look slightly moronic in my opinion - there are a whole lot better ways to express the unhappiness within the club in my opinion. I never sang about Doug dying and I won't about this fella either.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The BT estimate was lead by Robbie Savage in fairness, I'm not sure maths is his strong suit.

It was 1900. For some reason people keep quoting 900.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It was 1900. For some reason people keep quoting 900.

That reason is Robbie Savage - he had the rest of the BT team following him on it too. In fairness, BT seem to have pulled their match day crews from their call centre.

I think it makes us look like idiots. Singing "we're gonna have a party, when Randy Lerner dies" just makes us look slightly moronic in my opinion - there are a whole lot better ways to express the unhappiness within the club in my opinion. I never sang about Doug dying and I won't about this fella either.

Fair enough.

I would say I'm quite a mild mannered fan. Loud, but generally good natured. Certainly not an animal, I like to eek as much enjoyment as I can from going the game.

I love a bit of gallows humour though. Is this in essence not just an extension of that? I appreciate it's too far for some, but it's only football after all. It's not a threat, this isn't Glasgow.

I'm with OBE.

The way I view these things is I think "What would I think if another club was doing that?"

And in this case, singing about hoping someone dies is something I'd think was pretty **** low. 

• Like 2

I'm with OBE.

The way I view these things is I think "What would I think if another club was doing that?"

And in this case, singing about hoping someone dies is something I'd think was pretty **** low. 

If I knew their situation as I do ours, I'd understand the sentiment.

For what it's worth I don't hope he dies. Obviously. I'm not a sociopath. The word "dies" is clearly symbolic, or it certainly is for me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I would say I'm quite a mild mannered fan. Loud, but generally good natured. Certainly not an animal, I like to eek as much enjoyment as I can from going the game.

I often overstep the mark, my language is foul and generally directed at referees or opposition players I don't like. I've brought up personal things and shouted them at players taking corners. I've screamed about wives, I've screamed about scandals, I've screamed about court cases, I've screamed about misdemeanours, I've had a go at players for big noses and stupid haircuts, I carry grudges and on one proud occasion at the Hawthorns in the Intertoto I managed to upset former European footballer of the year Jean Pierre Papin enough that he gave me the finger. In the warm up.

I'm not quite tamed as yet, but there's a clear line between trying to put someone off their game and celebrating their death I think. 

• Like 3

Understanding the sentiment isn't the same as condoning.

I said before, I fear similar scenes when we go down to the scenes at St Andrews when they went down a few years ago. Tearing up their own stadium.

I understand the sentiment. They're angry that they've gone down. I'd obviously understand the sentiment when we're in that situation. But I'd hate to see that, and I have a horrible feeling we will. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Understanding the sentiment isn't the same as condoning.

I said before, I fear similar scenes when we go down to the scenes at St Andrews when they went down a few years ago. Tearing up their own stadium.

I understand the sentiment. They're angry that they've gone down. I'd obviously understand the sentiment when we're in that situation. But I'd hate to see that, and I have a horrible feeling we will. 

There's a vast difference between a chant and tearing up your own stadium. I don't think it's fair to align the two.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There's a vast difference between a chant and tearing up your own stadium. I don't think it's fair to align the two.

I'm not trying to. I'm just using an example of something that I can understand the sentiment of, yet completely not condone at the same time.

Â