The Randy Lerner thread

CI

And while I'm at it...It's one thing, an individual who is the recipient of something being hurt or offended by it, or by the effect on people close to them...and saying so, but I am absolutely $%$%£$% if I'm going to be morally preached to by the Mail or the BBC.

Or come to that, b, the Tories, my Neighbours, Labour, the Church of England, the Pope, Bob Geldof, Nelson Mandella, Whiney Houston, Erik the Viking or anyone else.

And while I'm at it...It's one thing, an individual who is the recipient of something being hurt or offended by it, or by the effect on people close to them...and saying so, but I am absolutely $%$%£$% if I'm going to be morally preached to by the Mail or the BBC.

Or come to that, b, the Tories, my Neighbours, Labour, the Church of England, the Pope, Bob Geldof, Nelson Mandella, Whiney Houston, Erik the Viking or anyone else.

...But especially the **** BBC. You can bet that shower of shits would be parade all the way down Regent Street if our club died.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

...But especially the **** BBC. You can bet that shower of shits would be parade all the way down Regent Street if our club died.

They would, especially Pat Murphy. They are a horrible little organisation - I will never forget their "dark ages comment" last year against the Baggies. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

We are stuck with Lerner forever.

If he cant sell the club when we are in the P.L. what hope has he got when we are in the championship.....  or league 1/2 ?

Nothing to do with can't sell. Well, maybe now we are relegated. Stop believing his spin.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I for the life for me dont understand why we did not get someone like Graham Taylor in as Chairman instead of this cretin Hollis

Because Lerner only employes puppets he can pull the strings with! 

He has never to my knowledge done a like for like replacement, Its always been an inexperienced rookie promoted from another roll. 

Bit like a ground worker laying a couple of course round a manhole and now thinks he's a bricklayer or a postman watching Homes under the hammer and now thinks he's Frank Lloyd Wright. 

Instead of hiring Professional Dedicated tradesmen you get a bunch of Bob The Builders! 

Thats what we have running Aston Villa Football Club!.. **** chancers!

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I for the life for me dont understand why we did not get someone like Graham Taylor in as Chairman instead of this cretin Hollis

Because the person that owns the club, rightly or wrongly, has decided that first and foremost, the club requires business minded people to shore it up on that front. Graham Taylor, for all his attributes, isn't a businessman and therefore was never, ever going to be in the conversation. 

• Like 1

Because Lerner only employes puppets he can pull the strings with! 

He has never to my knowledge done a like for like replacement, Its always been an inexperienced rookie promoted from another roll. 

Bit like a ground worker laying a couple of course round a manhole and now thinks he's a bricklayer or a postman watching Homes under the hammer and now thinks he's Frank Lloyd Wright. 

Instead of hiring Professional Dedicated tradesmen you get a bunch of Bob The Builders! 

Thats what we have running Aston Villa Football Club!

Yosser Hughes would get a job at AVFC.

"Gis a job, I can do that".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Because the person that owns the club, rightly or wrongly, has decided that first and foremost, the club requires business minded people to shore it up on that front. Graham Taylor, for all his attributes, isn't a businessman and therefore was never, ever going to be in the conversation. 

Yeah i know what your saying and this isnt a dig at all you, but the business model has worked well so far hasnt it under these clowns?

Edited by Demitri_C

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Put it another way then.If no one wants to buy us while we are a premier league club, who will be interested when we are a league 1/2 club ?

There will be interest but at a much smaller price than 12 months ago. The issue isn't the buyers.

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i know what your saying and this isnt a dig at all you, but the business model has worked well so far hasnt it under these clowns?

It appears that Hollis was brought in, along with Fox before him, to fix the business side of things which, it appears, we'd **** up for years.

I don't think you turn that around fast. I also don't think we're that aware of a lot of the things that have gone on off the pitch with a view to making the club make more money or just run better as a business. There's some stuff that we are aware of that sounds like decent work, from Fox anyway. The shirt deal for instance.

There's certainly been problems as well but I think that's expected. I'd be very surprised of any business having some upheaval and major personnel change didn't have a rocky moment or 2. And you can criticise some of that too.

I don't think they're clowns, just yet, contrary to popular opinion.

• Like 2

If I won the lottery and bought a business and ran it as poorly as Lerner has allowed us to be ran, pumped money into the business but ultimately was still struggling so I decided to cut my loses would I expect to sell the business and get every penny back I had put in.

No I wouldnt - so Lerner can **** off

£62.6 million he purchased the club for in 2006.  10 years later you have to ask yourself "what are we really worth now?".  If you did nothing but account for inflation that would get you to around £82 million, but that assumes of course that value of the assets have not depreciated. That we are (barring the formalities) relegated is a huge and obvious reduction in value of the club.  TV money going, reputation in tatters, playing staff requires investment.  I would go as far as to say that as the TV money is the huge bulk of revenue generation it is not unreasonable to suggest that we are worth less now in real terms than we were when Randy purchased the club.  This is in part a reflection of how big a risk we are to invest in.  We have a very real and predictable reduction in income thanks to the parachute payments, with little or no means to mitigate against it other than cut our outgoings.  The unpredictable nature of sport means that we are by no means a certainty to get promoted and there is a very small window in which to do that before we become an established lower league team.  The risk is massive and risk reduces the value.

So without my rose tinted AViators on, what do I hand on heart think the club is worth?  Probably not much more than Randy paid for us 10 years ago.  Will he sell the club for that sort of money?  I doubt it.  get relegated again and we won't even be worth the combined value of the assets.

15 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

They would, especially Pat Murphy. They are a horrible little organisation - I will never forget their "dark ages comment" last year against the Baggies. 

A - that was Phil McNulty, a notorious bellend

B - they're actually quite large

Completely OT - would you rather the UK media landscape was more like that of the USA? Or Russia perhaps? The BBC are under serious threat from the Tories and as the old adage goes, you don't know what you got til it's gone.

Which is incidentally how I feel about Lerner.... spoof.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thunderball said:

Urgh, Pat "self satisfied; mate of MON" Murphy. Horrible man. 

He had Lerner's card marked early though, I'll give him that.

Murphy marking Lerner's card was simply his default position because he'd fallen out with his best mate O'Neill. If Lerner had gone on to lead us to glory after that Murphy would still have had it in for him.

Pretty sure I remember reading that the first thing O'Neill did when he got the Villa job was take Pat Murphy and possibly one or two other journalists out for dinner.

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

£62.6 million he purchased the club for in 2006.  10 years later you have to ask yourself "what are we really worth now?".  If you did nothing but account for inflation that would get you to around £82 million, but that assumes of course that value of the assets have not depreciated. That we are (barring the formalities) relegated is a huge and obvious reduction in value of the club.  TV money going, reputation in tatters, playing staff requires investment.  I would go as far as to say that as the TV money is the huge bulk of revenue generation it is not unreasonable to suggest that we are worth less now in real terms than we were when Randy purchased the club.  This is in part a reflection of how big a risk we are to invest in.  We have a very real and predictable reduction in income thanks to the parachute payments, with little or no means to mitigate against it other than cut our outgoings.  The unpredictable nature of sport means that we are by no means a certainty to get promoted and there is a very small window in which to do that before we become an established lower league team.  The risk is massive and risk reduces the value.

So without my rose tinted AViators on, what do I hand on heart think the club is worth?  Probably not much more than Randy paid for us 10 years ago.  Will he sell the club for that sort of money?  I doubt it.  get relegated again and we won't even be worth the combined value of the assets.

I suppose we have to correlate the

Gross Worth/Income/expendeture

of both points in time

ie was our income then more/less than what 2016/17 will be? (Inflation and inc/exp trend taken into consideration for the next few years)

What was once cost effective/expandable PL2006 is far away from Ch 2016  means

Â