The Randy Lerner thread

CI

5 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Yeah, because taking a club down who finished sixth a few times is MUCH worse than getting the European Champions relegated.

Yeah well if Lerner can get Garde or another manager to get Villa straight back up, come 2nd twice , and win 2 league cups in a decade then I will say Lerner has done a better job than Ellis. Not going to happen is it?

• Like 1

No, indeed it's not.

But I believe the point MCTW is making is that the fall under Ellis was greater because of where we were when he took over in the early 80's.

Ultimately, they're both terrible owners, but for different reasons.

To fall from the premier league when money is flowing in is shocking. To allow so many teams to overtake us on and off the pitch is shocking. 

As pointed out, what ever drop under Doug didn't set the club back much. When do you think the next time we'll finish in the top half of the premier league will be? 

The longer we miss out the money, the worse the long term damage will be done. This relegation will cause much more damage than the one under Doug did. 

• Like 2

Leicester this season gives me hope. Of course money is important but it can only buy players of the quality that are available and for me that isn't so high at the moment. Most of the really great players, of which there are only a handful, don't want to come to the Premier League anyway and the rest are not so far ahead of the average anyhow.

The Man Utd's, Ma n City's & Chelsea's always buy the best quality they can get with silly money and even they are struggling to get ahead. For me the quality of the Premier League is pretty poor currently and the old British values of pace, strong grit & determination, if coupled with a clever manager are coming back round again. Leicester are the shining example of this.

Our problem for me is we are trying a policy of building a team with cheap 3rd rate players who are below average in both sets of ingredients, hence we can't compete with the elite clubs quality wise nor the Leicesters & Watfords & Sunderlands physically or grit & determination wise, so we end up with a 1 in 20 win ratio. As soon as a player comes good he's sold off and replaced with another average one resulting in the slow decline we've witnessed for 5 years now. It will keep happening whilst this policy continues there is no other outcome possible really as i see it coz if you constantly sell the rare good ones and replace with average ones it speaks for itself what will happen sooner or later. It's barmy!

You make some valid pointsDCJ. I suppose it's ultimately hard to compare the two relegations with complete merit, as you say, the financial side of the game makes it harder to come back. 

I just think that getting the champions of Europe relegated within the time Doug did is probably worse than Randy getting a team relegated that finished 15th or whatever it was before he arrived.

Like I said though (which I haven't stuck to at all) comparing the two seems a bit futile. 

Edited by Shropshire Lad

The problem is nobody can fault Lerner's initial intentions. He's just done it completely wrongly. I'm sure Villa fans will be accused of being ungrateful because he's spent so much money but he doesn't know the first thing about running a football club.

Reminds me of the guy from Foxcatcher.

hope that between now and the end of the season there's a concerted effort to protest against him - at least something positive could come of this shower of poo poo.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

That a huge club like us with enormous potential and wealth, the hugest club to be relegated from the premiership , is actually being relegated and it should be a bigger focus and that focus and blame should be on the woeful way we have been operated. For me it is not as big a thing in the media than it should be

I agree, I'd like to see proper journalists interested. I'd like to see a real depth of reporting from the local press. Stan isn't that, Stan is shouting and pointing at himself. For me, our position in this league should be a bigger story than Leicester's position in this league - for all sorts of reasons, but mostly because we're one of the countries half a dozen biggest sides and no one really gives a shit.  Worse, I can't see it changing, there are no magic billionaires and Birmingham just isn't a city that cares much for football. We're in trouble for a while.

• Like 1

It's got to the point he almost has no choice but to open his wallet or things will get much worse in the championship next season; 2 relegations on the spin is more likely than promotion. In a way I'm glad the club isn't getting some of the new TV deal next season when it's being run by clowns. I'm pretty confident our budget wouldn't have changed anyway.

While this mess is going in where is he?? No leadership, no statement to the fans nothing.

Remove that tattoo from your body you dont deserve it Randolph. Just like the browns, congratulations you have ruined two clubs at two different sports

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

What exactly will protests do though? I'm just as pissed off with how shit he's run the club but he's already trying to sell.

A small part of me would love to see a protest of some kind. We'd no doubt get slated, but hey, we get slated for celebrating a win in a cup game against are local rivals, we get slated for being a harsh atmosphere when really we're voicing concern about our home record etc.

As Randy's never here, such a statement would be a touch hollow (for me anyway). I'm not sure it's our style either. Hanging on in quiet desperation is the Villa way (to shamelessly rip off the floyd there).

12 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

No, indeed it's not.

But I believe the point MCTW is making is that the fall under Ellis was greater because of where we were when he took over in the early 80's.

Ultimately, they're both terrible owners, but for different reasons.

Well I'd take Ellis over Lerner any day of the week. At least he cared for the club and I don't ever remember us breaking every shitty record at the club while he was in charge and being humiliated on a weekly basis. Nor do I remember Ellis' Villa have 6 relegation battles on the trot either. Can you?

Edited by avfc1982
Spelling

Â