The Randy Lerner thread

CI

What difference would new owners really make? Generally speaking, people that own footballing clubs aren't "footballing people" and you don't want them getting involved. Lerner doesn't get involved. He is just a name at this point, he really has very little to do with any footballing matters.

The thing with Ellis though is the protests were only really ramped up in the late 90s....remember the pound sign protests? That was in November 2000. In that period we were regularly finishing top 7 and winning an actual trophy had occured only 4 years previously.

Expectations were different then, people were bored finishing 6th or 7th and seeing good players leaving like Southgate, Ugo etc. What a difference now is.

We had poor seasons under Ellis aswell but certainly in the 90s which I'm basing it on, we'd have on season where we'd narrowly miss relegation and then the next 2-3 we'd bounce back and be back in the top 6, that's why the last 5-6 seasons have been a massive shock, there's been no real attempt to significantly improve things.

10 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

What difference would new owners really make? Generally speaking, people that own footballing clubs aren't "footballing people" and you don't want them getting involved. Lerner doesn't get involved. He is just a name at this point, he really has very little to do with any footballing matters.

It would just represent a fresh start for me. New direction, ideas, investment. The point is in the championship you don't need to spend anything like you do in the prem to build a competitve team so money wouldn't be a huge issue (apart from covering up our losses).

The thing we need is momentum...winning a few games, getting a squad of players used to winning, infact the whole club used to winning again.

8 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Ridiculous comments. So employing a succession of **** managers doesn't make a difference? Employing a glorified sales rep in Faulkner as CEO doesn't make a difference? Do you think the owners of Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Arsenal didn't make a difference? In any business it all starts at the top. If the owner is rubbish the business will eventually be rubbish too. 

Yeah, pick 4 clubs who're able to spend £40m on single players, great comparison! My point was Lerner is nothing more than a name at this point. He doesn't actively really do anything. I suppose you can trace anything back to the man at the top in any business. But it was a football man, Tom Fox, who bought in the 2 clown managers who're sending us down.

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Yeah, pick 4 clubs who're able to spend £40m on single players, great comparison! My point was Lerner is nothing more than a name at this point. He doesn't actively really do anything. I suppose you can trace anything back to the man at the top in any business. But it was a football man, Tom Fox, who bought in the 2 clown managers who're sending us down.

True about Tom Fox....

... but who hired him?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Who employed Tom Fox? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Who employed Tom Fox? 

With that line of thought, everything will be Lerner's fault then. X player is shit. Sherwood bought him. Yeah, but who hired Sherwood? Tom Fox, yeah but who hired Tom Fox? Lerner. Individuals need to be held more accountable for their own actions, rather than passing the book back down the line. Which is probably exactly how things are at VP.

With that kind of dumbass logic, it's all Ellis' fault for selling to Lerner who he thought to be the right owner and so on.

Edited by kurtsimonw

2 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Same as any business, You have to look at the people who employ theses people!

Maybe I'm just weird then. When somebody at work **** up, I hold them accountable, not their boss. Maybe I should blame my boss for all my **** ups as well, after all, it's his fault for hiring me right?

Edited by kurtsimonw

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

With that line of thought, everything will be Lerner's fault then. X player is shit. Sherwood bought him. Yeah, but who hired Sherwood? Tom Fox, yeah but who hired Tom Fox? Lerner. Individuals need to be held more accountable for their own actions, rather than passing the book back down the line. Which is probably exactly how things are at VP.

With that kind of dumbass logic, it's all Ellis' fault for selling to Lerner who he thought to be the right owner and so on.

So an owner never bears any responsibility? That strikes me as 'dumb ass logic'. 

It really is very simple imho. I own a reasonably sized business. I ultimately hire the directors and define the budgets. If I hire the wrong directors that is my fault and responsibility. If I then allow said directors to spend the companies money without adequate financial controls and make big losses as a result, that is my fault and responsibility. If the next year I then replace the 'wrong directors' and tell their no much better replacements to get us out of the shit by doing it on the cheap and they fail, that is my fault and responsibility. 

55 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Just a name? Huh?

this is the man who dictates the direction of the club, he's the man whose austerity has plunged us into a 6 season decline. He's the reason we have to scratch around the bargain basement signing players from the lower leagues and untested foreigners. He's the man who has broken every single shitty record in the club's history and is humiliating us on a weekly basis. 

What difference would new owners make? I really don't know, but I'd hope they'd be a tad more hands in and ambitious than the disgrace of a chairman we have right now. 

5 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

So an owner never bears any responsibility? That strikes me as 'dumb ass logic'.

Indeed. Though I don't recall reading anyone on here saying that an owner never bears any responsibility. 

2 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

he's the man whose austerity has plunged us into a 6 season decline.

I'm not so concerned about the austerity side of things.  I've got no right to expect someone to pump hundreds of millions into the club but what I am angry about is the crap decisions and in particular the lack of any communuication to the fans. 

It will be a long long road back for Villa, if at all.  Lerner has ruined a historic club in record time

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Maybe I'm just weird then. When somebody at work **** up, I hold them accountable, not their boss. Maybe I should blame my boss for all my **** ups as well, after all, it's his fault for hiring me right?

There is a difference between dropping a bollock now and again, and bringing an entire organisation to its knees!

Edited by Kingman

35 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

If the boss patently employed the wrong person and then told them the annual budget was cut, who's fault would it be if the company had a shit year?

What if the following year the budget was cut again and a new guy with another dodgy CV was employed to replace the half arsed previous head of department?

Meanwhile, it appears our best accountants have been let go as they earned too much money, but don't worry, we've employed a load of kids that can't add up, we've got dozens of them so that should work out fine.

I think maybe 5, 6, 7 years in to that sort of business you could point at the boss and say 'bad boss'.

Â