The Randy Lerner thread

CI

21 minutes ago, Richard said:

I don't care the messenger I just want the message to get out there

I want a better message than Stan is conveying, there's no substance, no thought, no actual message - he's just blurting out the first thing he can think of that he thinks will make people like him.

What's the message you want out there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supernova26 said:

Apart from appointing Mcleish, which was just silly. What else has he done wrong? Everyone agreed with his other managerial appointments in general. He has spent money at the rate of Stoke and Everton but lost a whole lot more in the Champions League gamble, money he absorbed himself btw.

I think as Houllier pointed out when we was here we are too nice of a club...giving shit players long contracts etc. 

You are making the same mistake as most of the media.

It's not about money, its about passion, interest, culture, involvement.

You don't need excessive money for those things, or for quality scouting, or to attend matches, or to appoint quality football people.

The ex players often blame the players, or the buyers. Fans blame both these and the Managers. But, the players are not awful.....on the whole they are mid to lower half Prem players. Many are Internationals. The Managers on the whole have not been awful. 

It is the absentee, cobwebbed, disinterested malaise that has grown for years at a Club which already needed a huge overhaul to properly compete in the modern era. You DO need to write some big cheques to be successful but you also need much more.

So even if it is accepted his spending has been OK - which I don't accept - he has still failed in what he himself recognised as an important stewardship of the Club.

"Proud history, bright future".

We were sold a big fat lie and I'll never forgive him for what he has turned us into. The last 5 years have been hell for us Villa fans, we have become the laughing stock of English football whilst breaking almost every negative record possible. I can't wait for this fraud of a man to be out of our club forever, only then can we truly hope for any kind of bright future.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

"Proud history, bright future".

We were sold a big fat lie and I'll never forgive him for what he has turned us into. The last 5 years have been hell for us Villa fans, we have become the laughing stock of English football whilst breaking almost every negative record possible. I can't wait for this fraud of a man to be out of our club forever, only then can we truly hope for any kind of bright future.

Does anyone still have these scarves? Maybe we could cut them in half and take the bright future part back to VP in protest?

Problem is the yanker won't be there to witness it as per usual. 

11 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'm now just basically hanging around to find out how Lerner and his buddies try to PR spin actual relegation.

"i told Tom fox and (inesert whoever else I employed to run the club) in the summer to prepare for relegation, thus giving us the best possible opportunity at trying to get promoted to the league I've actively tried to get us relegated from for 5 years now

yours, randy lerner

4 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

"i told Tom fox and (inesert whoever else I employed to run the club) in the summer to prepare for relegation, thus giving us the best possible opportunity at trying to get promoted to the league I've actively tried to get us relegated from for 5 years now

yours, randy lerner

I think that's a false narrative. :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

You are making the same mistake as most of the media.

It's not about money, its about passion, interest, culture, involvement.

You don't need excessive money for those things, or for quality scouting, or to attend matches, or to appoint quality football people.

The ex players often blame the players, or the buyers. Fans blame both these and the Managers. But, the players are not awful.....on the whole they are mid to lower half Prem players. Many are Internationals. The Managers on the whole have not been awful. 

It is the absentee, cobwebbed, disinterested malaise that has grown for years at a Club which already needed a huge overhaul to properly compete in the modern era. You DO need to write some big cheques to be successful but you also need much more.

So even if it is accepted his spending has been OK - which I don't accept - he has still failed in what he himself recognised as an important stewardship of the Club.

Bottom line: you either have to be moving forward, or you will slip back. 

I think it's a challenge for many scions born into great wealth to understand what it really means to work hard -- to work obsessively -- to build up something truly incredible and keep it going. It's not a part-time kind of thing for a club such as Villa. Not impossible, but hard, and in this league, being incredible is almost a minimum requirement. I'm sure many will disagree with this, but that's how I see it.

15 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Unfashionable club from unfashionable part of the country, playing turgid football for years living off past glories. Pains me to say it but no one but us gives a shit unless they're laughing at our expense.

Not only that but we've been shit for years. This is barely news, we're just finally reaping the fruits of our labour which we should have reaped a few seasons ago.

• Like 1

Just now, Spoony said:

Not only that but we've been shit for years. This is barely news, we're just finally reaping the fruits of our labour which we should have reaped a few seasons ago.

Yep indeed. You must get this too, but living overseas you'll encounter a lot of foreign fans of the PL. Many of them would be hard pressed to name which city Aston Villa are from and when they get the answer they'll ask if Birmingham is near wither London or Manchester.

We're of little interest to anyone that's not a fan, unless it's in a negative way.

I feel the way we are so insignificant in the media was largely brought about by 30+ years of lack of ambition on Ellis's part, he effectively tried to bury the history of the club and played a big part in turning a European Championship winning club into the insignificance it is today. When Lerner arrived and MON hit 6th for a few years in a row that was widely regarded in the media as us "over achieving" such was the Ellis effect, so it was unsurprising to them when for the last 5 years we slumped back to the same position Ellis left us in... to many that is our proper position, a generation of fans, players and reporters were not even born when we won anything of note, it's faded history!

So looking at the last 25 years what have we done? It's a nothing club, a stepping stone to the big clubs now nothing more! So we will drop down a division and to most it means nothing really, they hear from a few of the older pundits, usually former players not the main pundits, about this old big club we are supposed to be but then look back over 3 decades and must think "What are they on about?".

It's a shame a real shame.

I don't understand Lerner just like i never understood Ellis before him. Why have a Premier League football club and allow this to happen? Surely they must have known things were not getting any better with the current sell sell sell policy? I mean it's been going downwards for 5 years for goodness sake how can you not see that?

• Like 4

Â