The Randy Lerner thread

CI

53 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Maybe I'm just weird then. When somebody at work **** up, I hold them accountable, not their boss. Maybe I should blame my boss for all my **** ups as well, after all, it's his fault for hiring me right?

Every sports club makes mistakes. The difference between the good ownership and bad ownership is that good ownership is able to identify and rectify problems quickly. Most of the people who Lerner has hired have been held accountable and have been fired, but he continues to make poor decisions in a business environment that just doesn't allow for that.

None of the poor decisions Lerner has made on their own would have hurt us very much. But, Lerner has made wrong move after wrong move since MON left, and his business is now in the toilet. Cleveland Browns fans did warn us.

Sure, we can go down the line of blaming managers and players, but ultimately we aren't in this position just because we're super unlucky with who we've hired. We're in this position because the owner hasn't invested enough money over the past 6 seasons, and the money he has invested has been invested poorly. By him.

• Like 2

Randy has done everything I hoped Ellis would do:

• Put money into the club, not take it out
  • Delegate authority, not run the club as a personal fiefdom
  • Stay out of the spotlight and work in the background

Sadly, his lack of football knowledge, his poor decisions on who to delegate authority to and his current lack of interest have spelt disaster.

What we need is that machine off the movie "The Fly", where we can put Ellis and Randy together in 1 pod, zap them to the other one taking the good bits to make 1 decent owner and discarding the dross...

... but we'd end up with a lot of dross and a 3 foot tall owner. Worth a shot, though.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I'm not so concerned about the austerity side of things.  I've got no right to expect someone to pump hundreds of millions into the club but what I am angry about is the crap decisions and in particular the lack of any communuication to the fans. 

It will be a long long road back for Villa, if at all.  Lerner has ruined a historic club in record time

This is where I stand. Though, i'm not sure it will be a long road back. But, it very much could be. 

55 minutes ago, useless said:

I remember people in the summer saying in the summer that it might be better if he stayed, because it's basically Fox's club now.

Well they'd be wrong. Lerner's transfer/wage budget dictates the state of the club and the direction it's headed, and it doesn't matter who does the dirty work. Pay peanuts you get monkeys and that's the jist of it. 

• Like 3

I'd take a fan as an owner, and spend no more than we get in receipts.

I'd take a committee of TRO, Richard, Mark, Brommy, Blandy, or whoever, working as a collective.

Because regardless of the mistakes that would be made, the cross, the lack of big money signings, wed be a Club that meant something again. Wed have owners who'd be at the training ground, who'd spot a lack of effort, who's enthusiasm would run through the Club from top to bottom. Wed have guys that included the fans, who welcomed ideas and input, who didn't sleep at night if we were going down.

I wouldn't care what that did to us in the short term because if I'm still going to be watching Villa in ten years time that's the Club I want to watch.

It's not about mistakes or money, its about passion, desire, a love for the Club and a real appreciation of what it means to fans ( "the most important of all the non important things in life " is a quote I heard recently that I liked).

That then leads to decent plans, good scouting, a vision of what constitutes progress, and somehow building something we can be proud of.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Petition started on Change.org! Already gained 700 signatures within an hour.

Might not make any difference but surely got to be worth a shot signing it?

https://www.change.org/p/lerneroutrandy-lerner-and-his-administration-out-of-aston-villa-now/c

Not even worth wasting the time signing it... what do people expect to happen?

Randy to turn around and say "Yeah, you're all right, i'm now going to leave my multi-million pound business in the hands of the fans to run?"

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Maybe I'm just weird then. When somebody at work **** up, I hold them accountable, not their boss. Maybe I should blame my boss for all my **** ups as well, after all, it's his fault for hiring me right?

That's not what most people are claiming though. We're not blaming Lerner for other's failures, we're blaming him for not giving the people the right tools to do the job. The more accurate metaphor would be "would you blame somebody at work for ******* up if they were asked to produce a complex database just using an abacus and a piece of paper?" Quite clearly the ones at the top haven't given them the tools to do the job, we actually don't know how good or bad they are at it if they don't have a chance.

In fact I'd say Lerner has been lucky that a number of people still think it's as simple as getting a good manager and he can make awful players world beaters. I've always been of the view that Lambert, Sherwood, Garde have taken more flak than they deserve because they simply don't have the tools to do the job. Arguably O'Neill was our worst manager in Lerner's era as he did have the tools and failed. Lambert is increasingly looking like he was undervalued (although I'd agree with view the job got on top of him) and Garde can do nothing about making awful players good.

As for the players, very few don't try. N'Zogbia perhaps but successive managers have dropped him. The rest try 95% of the time but simply aren't good enough. Worse still they can't be replaced as we can't afford them. Whist Everton can buy Lennon and Cleverley (inc wayes) we're stuck with gambles which will take time to settle and Championship players. Everton tick over, we drop like a stone. It's not complicated - buy quality, get results. Buy gambles or lower quality and you don't know what you'll get but the odds are against you.

Lerner doesn't get enough blame in my view.

• Like 1

Guy must be absolutely shitting it at how much were about to lose, in both value and cash for being in this league. Servers you right Randy, can't wait until the day this cancerous cretin leaves us and hope he never gets involved in another sports team.

8 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Guy must be absolutely shitting it at how much were about to lose, in both value and cash for being in this league. Servers you right Randy, can't wait until the day this cancerous cretin leaves us and hope he never gets involved in another sports team.

I hope he DOES get involved in another sports team - Birmingham City.

He brought a massive club like Villa to its knees and in the worst state its been in at least generation with the worst records in our history - imagine what he could do to a tiny club like BC, they'd be in administration within 12 months and out of existence in 18! He's a club killer, we need him touring the country!

Anyone actually think it's actually good thing we're so shit?

Looks like we're going to be relegated and the club he's been trying to sell will devalue.

Now he'll have to sell for less and hopefully someone with better management in the boardroom will come in sort us out.

This is years and years of us basically begging to be relegated with the way he's been dealing with us.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is it just me now trying to figure out which direction New York is from the North Stand car park?

It's not just about protesting at Lerner, it's letting the whole of football know just what this club has been through over the last 5 years. Let's protest and show Lerner and his cronies that we're still a proud football club despite our disgraceful owner. Maybe someone will take notice. It's better than sitting on our back sides and doing nothing. 

Is it just me now trying to figure out which direction New York is from the North Stand car park?

It's not just about protesting at Lerner, it's letting the whole of football know just what this club has been through over the last 5 years. Let's protest and show Lerner and his cronies that we're still a proud football club despite our disgraceful owner. Maybe someone will take notice. It's better than sitting on our back sides and doing nothing. 

I'll let you in on a little secret: the whole of football doesn't give a toss.

• Like 2

I am not involved in the Change.org petition and don't think it is particularly well written but as Bully stated above we need to "HUMILIATE THE BASTARD" into selling us! It is nearly up to 1000 and every Villa fan should sign if only to send a message. The problem is that having pissed his Dad's money up the wall he thinks he can get all back - he never will, we are damaged goods and he has to cut his price

Lerner Is undoubtedly sensitive to bad publicity and has had very little public criticism. I may be wrong but yesterday was the first time I heard the away fans loudly singing "Lerner Out" and "Randy Lerner is a ****er". 

For those who fear we may get an even worse owner - what can be worse than our current state? 

https://www.change.org/p/lerneroutrandy-lerner-and-his-administration-out-of-aston-villa-now

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'll let you in on a little secret: the whole of football doesn't give a toss.

I didn't say they cared, I said if we make enough noise people will start to notice. Better than doing nothing. 

• Like 3

Â