The Randy Lerner thread

CI

29 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

This thread is almost at 1000 pages so perhaps enough content for a book but I'm guessing it won't end with "happily ever after."

Happily ever after - in the championship 

*sobs*

On 12/31/2015 at 13:01, Richard said:

That's a bit patronising to be honest . I do realise all that

Wasn't intended to be, so sorry if it came over that way.......... its just a view and an incident with a previous manager.

On 12/31/2015 at 13:45, blandy said:

I think there's a lot in that, but I don't really quite agree with it as a total package. You're dead right that sometimes people seeing just one aspect (fans), concentrating as we do on the results and players performances can often get a perspective that is free from the "complication and complexity" and that sometimes that kind of collective wisdom or vision is right. I also agree that as fans we wouldn't have a clue as individuals (in 99%+ of cases, certainly in mine).

Yet amongst the users of this site, there will be people with expertise in some of the areas needed to run or own a club, and there are people with the love of the club to (potentially in a hypothetical situation), contribute to the running of it. There are accountants, Doctors, business owners, player(s) etc. that are or were VT members.

I have to say I think your analogy is a good idea, but completely the wrong analogy - surely it's more comparable to say "who knows more about running a railway network.....The station master or the Trainspotter" - and that gives a completely different and clearer answer.  The trainspotter may know the names and numbers of the trains, and how fast they go, but they have no idea how to schedule, build, drive, maintain, repair them etc.

It's kind of human nature to think in some circumstances that we know much more than we do. It's like if you take a young person, give them their first job working as mechanic in a garage. After a couple of months ask them how much they know about cars and they'll claim they know loads. Ask the owner of the garage, who's worked there for 40 years, and they'll say they know a fair bit, but they'll also admit there's a heck of a lot they don't know. The more you know, the more you realise there's a lot you don't know.

Football fans are like that young mechanic, and the garage owner is like Graham Taylor. Wise enough to listen to the mechanic, but smart enough to know when to ignore what he says and how to do that in a way that still makes the mechanic feel good.

you present/explain it much better than me Pete....but you get my drift.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2015 at 10:37, TRO said:

That in my humble opinion, is so frighteningly accurate.....one of the best posts I have seen on here to describe the value of the problem.

The only thing I would  mention Mark and it is a bit pedantic....Is that rather than we over spent, I think we bought players that never reached their value for the money spent( in the main). If the emphasis/slant was on the spending as opposed to the player value, we would have had less fully amortised players on our hands and got back more money.

We had to rely on selling our best players ( too few) to attempt to balance the books.....That's when the hole in the ship started.....since then we have sold better than we have bought, with Benteke the exception.

as you quite rightly say, nothing was learned from successive managers and it all went sour.

Despite, me having issues with the O'Neill era......It has undoubtedly got progressively worse.

We need a Graham Taylor Mk1.....I'm hoping Remi is that man.

If you look at the players we signed for huge sums who then left the club for nothing in Lerner's time you can soon get to some truly awful figures which would go along way towards the £222 million figure.

To me the problem with Lerner is not that he doesn't care or even fund things but that he only reacts to things and isn't proactive.  He puts in or brings in on the whole decent enough managers and off the pitch Staff, but then doesn't have the foresight to see what to do next.

Dein at Arsenal was a great example.  Arsenal had had traditional English Managers in Rioch but he saw an opportunity to do things differently with Wenger.  Together they played the market to build Arsenal up.  Arsenal have not been as strong since Dein left.

Liverpool used to snap players up and they would it in their reserves unknown for a couple of seasons, then promoted to the first team.

We need someone who knows how to build.  Ron Saunders is quoted as saying he built three sides before winning the League.  With him leaving and not creating a 4th we missed an opportunity to join the top 6. 

4 hours ago, NIVillan said:

We need someone who knows how to build.  Ron Saunders is quoted as saying he built three sides before winning the League.  With him leaving and not creating a 4th we missed an opportunity to join the top 6. 

You need scouts to do that......Steve Walsh is doing it all at Leicester......Tony Barton did it for Ron Saunders.

we have a bunch of muppets.

Just now, Callum said:

Why are there no huge banners reading 'lerner out' 

Legit question, does the club know that we know that the issues run deeper than our players? 

Because he's actually trying to get out of here. What is a massive banner going to do if he can't find a buyer?

Fair point and I get that, I dont fully understand the ins and outs of the business but jesus, do the supports have literally 0 leverage when it comes to ownership? Is he even still actively selling? 

Remi has admitted he is only now getting to understand things ......

I think the club had written off the season before he had been appointed and told him so during his appointment.

There are more patches than inner tube.

We have been fire fighting for that long and patching this and patching that....It needs a blank slate and start again.

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we all know its bad.

I don't think any of us have any idea how bad it really is.

On the contrary I think everyone knows exactly how bad it is. Not only are we are effectively down with just over half the season to go but we are breaking every record in the book at being the worst team ever in the PL. We have been brought to our lowest point in 30 years by this joke of a football club owner. It is bloody heartbreaking!!

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 4

Â