Jimzk5

At the beginning of the season you would be forgiven to expect Wolves to finish above us like they did last season.

It's all gone pear-shaped - and while the same could be said of us, we are above them in the table, have a better squad and (now) a phenomenal manager.

Dendonker made a good decision, eh?

I get money is tight but even more reason to look at Dyche? He is used to working with small budgets, he probably won’t get a better job in the PL now with Leicester picking up form too. I’m sure he would take a year contract. It’s ok linking him to us but the Wolves job has been available for a while now, strangely you don’t see pundits pushing that job (I know they have announced the current manager stays in charge for the season but even before this). They are in trouble. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I do have a tiny bit of sympathy for them. We sacked Gerrard and less than 4 days later appointed Unai Emery. They sacked their manager 22 days ago and are getting the knock back off the likes of Michael Beale and have appointed an ex snooker player until January.

One of the greatest snooker players ever though

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Being the Petri dish for Mendes isn’t as appealing as some would claim eh? 

They had a good run. Two 7th place finishes, run to europa QF where they narrowly lost to Sevilla who won competition in the end and they should've played the FA cup final in 2019 but messed up the Watford game from 2-0 up.

I find it too difficult to be critical as it's no different to what happened here once Lerner got bored and left us to stagnate horribly.

Just shows unless you're run by a state it's near impossible to establish yourself as top 6 club in premier league now as those teams are just so far ahead. Leicester themselves had a really good go but all it takes is a few botched transfers and you quickly slide back down the league.

Next time we get good and have 6th-7th league season I think I'll just enjoy it rather than moaning endlessly about not having enough to make top 4.

• Like 4

Wolves haven't established themselves towards the top of the table because other than this summer just gone, they've hardly invested, or they have invested but have been selling their better players to fund that investment and the money they have spent hasn't been spent well, if you look at their signings over recent transfer windows none of them have made a big impact, other than perhaps José Sá, you have to go back to 2019/2020 when they signed Jiminez, Neto, and Dendoncker for the lsst time they signed a bunch of players that went on to do well for them, It's still early for Nunes and Guedes but seems Wolves fans haven't been impressed with them as of yet.

Six transfer windows and José Sá the only signing that's really stood out, maybe Semedo, but he seems to get mixed reviews from their fans, over the same period they've sold...

Gibbs-White, Dendocker, Vinagre, Boly, Saiss, Patricio, Jota, and Doherty, and also loaned out Adama to Barcelona with a view to selling him...

Some of those names more glamorous than others but with the exception of Gibbs-White they're all players that did well for them when they were doing well as a team, Gibbs-White probably the best academy product they've produced in a while with a good amount of promise, so I think that one also qualifies as them selling one of their better assets, ask most Wolves fans I think they would say that would have agreed to keep him over Podence or Hwang.

They also let Coady go on loan to Everton, another one who has been one of their better player during their succesful period, they would have sold Neves as well in the summer if the right offer had have come in, and wouldn't be surprised to see Neto end up at Arsenal either January or next summer.

As well as all that they also sacked their most succesful manager in generations and replaced him with a manager who had only ever managed Benfica for one season, and it wasn't even a full season as he was sacked before the season had finished, and now he's been replaced at Wolves with their U18 manager after failing to attract Beale from QPR who's experience as a manager you have to count in months rather than years.

It's hard to challenge the top of the table, but hardly a surprise that Wolves have failed maintain their position up there up until now, maybe they will bring in Amorim or Lopetegui in January and turn things around, but not sure how likely that is with their current ownership issues, might be more likely they're sold.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Wonder if it's worth a cheeky bid for Neves in Jan. 

Also, I wonder if with Fosun's debt problems they'll use it in the same way as whoever the hell owns Small Heath uses them - ie as a vehicle to saddle debt onto 

Debt? Small Heath? 

Don't you know they're worth more than 10 quintillion dollars on the Hong Kong stock exchange? 

Technically they're bigger than Man Ure and Liverpool added together times 4

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Wonder if it's worth a cheeky bid for Neves in Jan. 

Also, I wonder if with Fosun's debt problems they'll use it in the same way as whoever the hell owns Small Heath uses them - ie as a vehicle to saddle debt onto 

The amount of debt they could assign to Wolves is so trivial in comparison to the scale of their problems that it wouldn't be worth bothering. The real risk for Wolves IMO is just that there's so much going on back in China that there's no one paying attention or caring about what's happening. 

Neves was for sale this summer, it was widely expected that he would leave, the player himself even admitted that that's what could happen in interivews and made what most Wolves read as an emotional farewell in their last home game last season.

He didn't leave presumably because the type of clubs he would have expected to come in for him didn't make a bid, maybe he's just not good enough for the kind of clubs the media have linked him too, or at least those clubs not prepared to pay the money Wolves would want.

If Champions League clubs not interested in him, then he has a choice of either staying at Wolves where he's settled or leaving to go to another club in a similar position, so can see why he stayed where he was in that scenario, but now Wolves faltering and if they continue to do so, he might be more open to going to another club that aren't maybe one of the elites but maybe a step or two down from that.

His current contract expires in 2024, so if the price he's available for goes down then maybe one of the elite teams will come in for him, even if only as a squad option, or could be that someone like Arsenal make a bid, especially now they've missed out on Luiz.

I don't think we would be interested in him, we already have Dendoncker, Kamara, and Luiz as holding midfielders, and Iroegbunam who can like something between a 'six' and 'eight', so we've got plenty of options in that area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Without fresh investment they will sink fast. The squad is tiny and signing the likes of Diego Costa will hurt them long term too. 

That one contract for a player signed as the window was closed and the new striker got injured is an absolute crusher

Still probably better value than what we wasted on Coutinho 

Â