Jimzk5

It's been said but if the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, and Arsenal were having a normal season by normal standards them or Sheffield Unted wouldn't be anywhere near top four.

But still what Wolves have achieved in just two seasons since getting promoted is very impressive, and I still think it's underrated by some, because it's oft just presumed that they signed a bunch of ready made stars because of Mendes, but when you look at the players they've signed many of them were bit part players at their previous clubs, so still needed a lot of work, they've also improved the players already at the club as well.

Edited by useless

It can't be that much difference with points. Wolves could still get 61 points if they win 3 of their last 4 and we were usually low 60s under MON and properly challenged for top 4 in two of those seasons.

They're basically where we were between 2008-10 now. Interesting if they can make the final step that eluded us for a few reasons.

Worth remembering they're still in the europa so winning that is the path to CL now.

Just gone back five seasons looking at the table after 34 games, in 2015 Man Utd were in fourth place with 65 points, then in 2016 Arsenal were fourth with 63 points, 2017 Man City had 66 points, in 2018 Spurs had 68 points, and in this time last year in 2019 Arsenal were on 66 points. Wolves are currently on 52 points, so in a normal they wouldn't even be within 10 points of fourth place.

After 34 games for us under O'Neill we had 55 points in 2008, we were then 11points off Liverpool in fourth place, in 2009 we also had 55 points 10points off Arsenal, and in 2010 we were on 58 points, 6 points off Spurs...

so again nowhere near fourth place for us at this stage either, although I would suggest that the league was stronger then, the top two weren't as good as Liverpool and Man City but I think that's partly because the teams below them weren't as weak so wasn't as easy to get as many points.

Edited by useless

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Pathetic.

But some of us were probably the same when we bottled top 4 under MON

Different circumstances but we had a bit of a right to be pissed at MON, at times we did what we did in spite of him, he **** us with his lack of subs and rotation, his lack of plan b vs teams that he couldn't counter attack and his refusal to play a right back at right back

We should have got 4th, we weren't like wolves now chasing it down hoping for a slip up, we were like Leicester, we had it and we threw it away with poor form at the wrong time

Nuno brought Wolves from nowhere to European football, they'd only spend three or our season in the top flight in over thirty years.

When O'Neill took charge of us we had been an ever present in the premier league and had already finished in the top six six times as a premier league side before he arrived and had also won two cups as well. Wolves have a lot more to be grateful towards Nuno than we had to be towards O'Neill.

Can't speak for everyone, but Nuno isn't above criticism.  We were bloody awful against Arsenal and Sheffield United, no one wants anyone else but Nuno in charge, but it's fine to wonder why he doesn't use his bench for example.

On 09/07/2020 at 22:45, useless said:

Nuno brought Wolves from nowhere to European football, they'd only spend three or our season in the top flight in over thirty years.

When O'Neill took charge of us we had been an ever present in the premier league and had already finished in the top six six times as a premier league side before he arrived and had also won two cups as well. Wolves have a lot more to be grateful towards Nuno than we had to be towards O'Neill.

Agree. 

1 hour ago, Andy81 said:

Can't speak for everyone, but Nuno isn't above criticism.  We were bloody awful against Arsenal and Sheffield United, no one wants anyone else but Nuno in charge, but it's fine to wonder why he doesn't use his bench for example.

The MON comparisons are strong

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The MON comparisons are strong

Fair enough, I don't remember well enough to say.

I think we'd all give Nuno a ten year contract if possible, no one has lost sight of how far we've come in a short period, every club needs to stay on it's toes however.

Given how we've played during the comeback I can see us dropping to 8th which would be a disappointing end to the league season.

If we make it past Olympiakos however, the mini tournament in Germany should be fun, although it's a very hard route to the final now.  My gut is telling me Olympiakos will beat us unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I might pop down there and boo from outside the stadium 😜

I'm gutted we can't go, I love Germany.

I went to Cologne, where the Europa League final will be, for the England v Sweden game in 2006, great city.

Es tut mir leid.

• Like 2

In 09/10 season we finished on 64 points. 6 points off 4th place.

This season Chelsea sit on 3rd with 60 points only 3 games left to go.

A truly pathetic season. Wolves would be nowhere near top 4 in a normal season or back then when the league was much stronger.

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

In 09/10 season we finished on 64 points. 6 points off 4th place.

This season Chelsea sit on 3rd with 60 points only 3 games left to go.

A truly pathetic season. Wolves would be nowhere near top 4 in a normal season or back then when the league was much stronger.

It’s been going that way for a while. You used to need 40 points to stay up too. 

Last season we finished 7th on a similar points total. It’s changed a lot in ten years, it’s not a one off. 

2 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

It’s been going that way for a while. You used to need 40 points to stay up too. 

Last season we finished 7th on a similar points total. It’s changed a lot in ten years, it’s not a one off. 

True but i can't remember the top teams ever being as bad as this season.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

True but i can't remember the top teams ever being as bad as this season.

Yeah I agree they’ve been less than their best this season in general, personally I love to see things shaken up at the top, I really hope a non-traditional top six team makes the Champions League this season. 

It is a one off, Wolves last season finished fourteen points off fourth spot, and are only closer this season because the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd are having poor seasons by their usual standards. Shouldn't really matter though, It's not as if Wolves should be challenging for top four, at least not at the moment, so to be doing as well as they are is still a big achievement, with potential to improve.

• Like 1

Big summer for them, if they can keep what they have and add to it they’ll be strong next year.

Problem is keeping your best players when Europe’s big boys starting turning their heads.

Â