Jimzk5

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

It's how they always play.

They will give us the initiative when we play them in the league as well. I can guarantee you.

It's just their horrible style of play. Sit in low block and wait for mistakes so they can counter.

You’re right. It’s how they got very good results against top 6 teams last season and managed it again against Man City. To be fair they have got some very good players though. 

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re right. It’s how they got very good results against top 6 teams last season and managed it again against Man City. To be fair they have got some very good players though. 

Whilst I agree it's ok to counter attack the top teams its the lack of plan B after 3 years that would piss me off!  Similar to us under O'Neill no clue against teams that sit back.

I don't think I have ever seen a team offer less at Villa Park than last night.  We gifted them any attack they did make.

I think their 1st team is decent be interesting at Molineux in a couple of weeks if they are as unadventurous.

• Like 1

The thing is their best 2 players are moutinho and nerves, top quality ball playing Central midfielders 

Our best players were pacey wingers and a brute of a CF to cross to so us playing on the counter made perfect sense 

They've got a better midfield than we ever had under MON, they should be able to play good stuff with them 2 

He's still not bad by any means, but Neves hasn't been that great for them for a while now, completely different player to the one he was in the championship. I think most Wolves would say that Boly, Jiminez, Moutinho, Jota have all been better than him, probably Adama this season as well.

Edited by useless

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The thing is their best 2 players are moutinho and nerves, top quality ball playing Central midfielders 

Our best players were pacey wingers and a brute of a CF to cross to so us playing on the counter made perfect sense 

They've got a better midfield than we ever had under MON, they should be able to play good stuff with them 2 

They are deadly on the counter attack with a fully strength squad, there is no doubt about that.

Wolves are what they are, we all know how they operate. Some may call it anti football, but sadly it is effective.

The game in the league will be very tough.

It was embarrassing from them but don't see what options they have. They really do not have much of a squad as they haven't invested enough to achieve depth, they're already massively stretched by the Premier and Europa Leagues, they cannot really accommodate the league cup as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair to wolves, if we even do half as well as them this season, as they did in their first season back in the Prem, I will be happy.

[A pedant writes] I wouldn't be. Half of their 57 points would mean relegation 😛.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 22:24, useless said:

Before the season started Wolves were being talked about as a team destined for big things, some of their fans even talking as if they're the next Man City and were going to break into the top six this season, so relative to all that I guess you could say twelve wouldn't be that good.

Judging by what I overheard on the train back last night,being the “next Man City” is very much still how’s they see themselves!

Two seasons above the Villa and they already think they have left us behind forever....

Surprised at the response on here to last Wednesday. 

Europa League and Premier League are clearly our priorities, and 25 shots against arsenal (record for an away team I think) suggests we’re not too defensive. 

11 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Europa League and Premier League are clearly our priorities, and 25 shots against arsenal (record for an away team I think) suggests we’re not too defensive. 

Arsenal concede around 20 shots of on average so not sure that's the best measuring stick. 

Wednesday was a pretty defensive display but it was also your U23s so can't really draw too many conclusions from that either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Didn't see the game but Arsenal is the type of team i would say before hand suits Wolves well.

Leaves themselves open to the counter, especially at home and Wolves can do what they do best. Wait for mistakes and counter.

My biggest criticism of Wolves is when they are up against organized teams who sit deep. Wolves needs to develop a plan b. Can't relying on counter attacking football in every single game. Need to create more chances from open play.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy81 said:

doing what exactly in those competitions are your priority? getting out of the group and finishing 7th? or you think you can get CL via those 2 competitions?

if you were where Leicester are then I would agree, maybe a year too early in what you're trying to do too but at some point you have to take the LC and FA cup seriously too otherwise what's the point of you?

think it was year 2 of our 6th place finishes that we got to the FA cup semis and the LC final

• Like 1

I really don’t know what the club’s ambitions are, but based on the teams they’ve put out and the pragmatic approach to certain games it seems clear to me that those are the competitions we’re targeting. 

I believe Wolves think they can go deep into the Europa League, and I expect we’re chasing a top ten finish again. 

To be clear, I agree with the points about some of our play, I’d love to see us sign a Maddison type player to open up some of the deep sitting teams. It wasn’t all counter attack against Arsenal however, first ten minutes and last ten of the first half we controlled the game and had lots of possession in the Arsenal half. 

I think it would be greedy and unrealistic to expect a team in their second year to have FA Cup semi finals, 7th placed finish, European football, and play amazing attacking flowing football. 

By the way, you lot are doing so well, especially given the turnover in players last summer, I’m worried about Sunday. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

By the way, you lot are doing so well, especially given the turnover in players last summer, I’m worried about Sunday.

I worry about Sunday as well.

I think Wolves style of play really counter our style of play.

• Like 1

So a Wolves supporting work colleague had a go the other day because a Villa fan had posted the half time league table on social media. Said that he was just trying to prove Villa are better than Wolves. I tried pointing out it was more to do with showing how poor we are at closing out games but he wouldn't have it.

I really don't know how I can explain that kind of one eyed viewpoint,I am sure we have similar fans but wow.

For many of their fans tomorrow will be a bit of a cup final, if we win I will celebrate no more than I have when we beat Brighton, Everton or Norwich.

UTV

Â