Jimzk5

Right up until his assist I was sat thinking he's still the same old player, decision making is still atrocious and he's too ponderous / greedy on the ball with crossing that is too inconsistent (even his assit came on a cut back rather than a cross)  you know that old football cliche that the first pass you see is the best one, traore still can't do it, he naturally wants to go past someone and do something himself rather than play the simple 5 yard pass that puts jimenez through on goal 

I still don't buy in to him being anything another than fast, the football brain really isn't there 

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Right up until his assist I was sat thinking he's still the same old player, decision making is still atrocious and he's too ponderous / greedy on the ball with crossing that is too inconsistent (even his assit came on a cut back rather than a cross)  you know that old football cliche that the first pass you see is the best one, traore still can't do it, he naturally wants to go past someone and do something himself rather than play the simple 5 yard pass that puts jimenez through on goal 

I still don't buy in to him being anything another than fast, the football brain really isn't there 

He's set up loads of goals this season, just recently on Thursday in the europa. Miles improved from two years ago (and even then I thought he was a bright spark in our shower of s*** 15/16). Shame he didn't want to stay but he then knuckled down at Boro and got his career going, ironically in the championship.

When you look at Wolves they have been there and seen it players, Moutinho with about 80 portugal caps and loads of games in CL. Jimenez with 20 goals in 70 caps for Mexico and been at big clubs like Atletico Madrid and Benfica. Even a young one like Neves was starting CL games when he was 19.

As admirable as our up and coming player transfer strategy is we need some more proven been it seen it done it players in the next two windows imo. That's if we want to challenge to be in top half of premier league in next 2 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He's set up loads of goals this season, just recently on Thursday in the europa. Miles improved from two years ago (and even then I thought he was a bright spark in our shower of s*** 15/16). Shame he didn't want to stay but he then knuckled down at Boro and got his career going, ironically in the championship.

Not saying he's not exciting or good to watch or that the opposition has to set up especially for him because all that is true

But how many successful dribbles do you think he had today? Double figures? At least 5 vs targett in the first half, skinned him set himself up in acres of space... Chances created from there? 0? He had the assist and he hit the bar but I still think his end ball is utter pish, nowhere near good enough for the positions his athleticism gets him in, big part of why you come away today thinking how did wolves only get 2 is this guy, makes it look like he's pissing all over your defence but then he's wasting 90% of it

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not saying he's not exciting or good to watch or that the opposition has to set up especially for him because all that is true

But how many successful dribbles do you think he had today? Double figures? At least 5 vs targett in the first half, skinned him set himself up in acres of space... Chances created from there? 0? He had the assist and he hit the bar but I still think his end ball is utter pish, nowhere near good enough for the positions his athleticism gets him in, big part of why you come away today thinking how did wolves only get 2 is this guy, makes it look like he's pissing all over your defence but then he's wasting 90% of it

Yeah I watched the first half.

A couple of times because of his pace and beating the full back the touch meant the ball was very close to going out so tough to get a pinpoint cross in when you're trying to keep it in play. He got the ball into the right areas but Mings is excellent at reading where the cross is going and is usually at near post to head them out.

It's not like they were all flying into the stands or straight into the keepers arms which you see the likes of Theo Walcott do on a week to week basis.

Second goal was surely an example of him learning? Don't just keep hitting it into six yard box, he looked up and saw Jimenez had cleverly stepped away from that area to create space (Big Wes could learn a bit from that goal) and passed it straight onto his foot.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

When you look at Wolves they have been there and seen it players, Moutinho with about 80 portugal caps and loads of games in CL. Jimenez with 20 goals in 70 caps for Mexico and been at big clubs like Atletico Madrid and Benfica. Even a young one like Neves was starting CL games when he was 19.

As admirable as our up and coming player transfer strategy is we need some more proven been it seen it done it players in the next two windows imo. That's if we want to challenge to be in top half of premier league in next 2 years.

Good post Chris. I feel we gambled on a lot of our signings in the summer, probably didn't help that we needed to replace so many departing players but a lot of our signings were unproven. Wolves remarkably signed Neves and Jota in the Championship (from huge clubs in Porto and Atletico Madrid) and both were in or on the fringes of the senior Portugal team at that time. Then once promoted, they signed Patricio (85 Portugal caps), Dendoncker (in Belgium squad, similar hype to Tielemans at Leicester), Moutinho (over 100 Portugal caps) and Jimenez (79 caps for Mexico). They signed these players from CL clubs in the main. Wolves, a team that's barely played in the top flight in the last 30 years, only just got promoted, signing this level of player was astounding, but they did it. That is what you call ambition and that is why they are where they are now and considerably better than us at this time. It doesn't matter who they have in the background helping them with recruitment etc, if they have a better system at attracting players than us then we need to find a way to attract these players too.

We need to show a level of boldness in the transfer market that I've not seen at Villa since the late 1990s. I'm not sure I agree with you that they have to be older necessary, I do like us going for younger players in the early to mid 20s, but they need to be at a higher level than the players we bought this summer. That's why I've mentioned on many threads looking to buy a player like Michy Batshuayi. He's an established Belgian international, has played for big clubs, played in the CL, and I think he would provide a massive boost to this team and score lots of goals for us. That for me is an ambitious signing but is it one DS is capable of making? We will find out in time, but the level of recruitment needs to go up a gear if we're not only to survive in this league but get ourselves competing with the likes of Wolves and Leicester which is what we need to be doing.

• Like 2

Yeah I mentioned Batshuyai before but he seems to be a regular off the bench for Chelsea atm. Palace signed him on loan last January so he's not some unrealistic target.

Perhaps Giroud? Chelsea said he can leave for 5m, he's not really in Lampard's plans and will want games to get sharp for Euro 2020 as think he still makes the France squad. Problem will be who course they'll be lots of teams chasing europe in for him but that's the sort of experience, been it done it player we need to be signing in the near future if we're to rise up the league table.

I don't care if he has no sell on fee or is over 30. When you look back Robbie Keane gave us more in five games than many of Lambert's young and hungry ones did in 50 odd.

There are pros and cons to any transfer strategy.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

They are better but lets see how they would do without Patricio coady and moutinho/neves with a practically full strength team. Only boly was missing for them.

We lost 2-1 so we didn't embarrass ourselves despite having two enforced subs on us

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I mentioned Batshuyai before but he seems to be a regular off the bench for Chelsea atm. Palace signed him on loan last January so he's not some unrealistic target.

Perhaps Giroud? Chelsea said he can leave for 5m, he's not really in Lampard's plans and will want games to get sharp for Euro 2020 as think he still makes the France squad. Problem will be who course they'll be lots of teams chasing europe in for him but that's the sort of experience, been it done it player we need to be signing in the near future if we're to rise up the league table.

I don't care if he has no sell on fee or is over 30. When you look back Robbie Keane gave us more in five games than many of Lambert's young and hungry ones did in 50 odd.

There are pros and cons to any transfer strategy.

Giroud certainly has massive experience and would be an ambitious move, given he's not played regularly for a couple of seasons I don't know how much of a gamble that would be but he seems to still be scoring pretty regularly for France. You're right though, we'd be competing against many sides in Europe but if you want to get top players to come to you you have to do that and to entice that type of player you need to convince them that Villa is a club that is going places. That is up to the management team. Joao Moutinho was an older head that Wolves brought in and he seems to be doing a great job in that midfield for them.

As a club we need to raise the bar for our transfers. I like DS's approach to transfers but I'd like to see him be more ambitious with our targets and sign players where other teams stand up and take notice. I'm hoping in January we see a big name come in that gives us a big boost to our chances of staying up. It will be a disaster if we go back down again after all the work we put in this summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

They are better but lets see how they would do without Patricio coady and moutinho/neves with a practically full strength team. Only boly was missing for them.

We lost 2-1 so we didn't embarrass ourselves despite having two enforced subs on us

The result did not embarrass us, but the performance certainly did.....I cringed when we come on match of the day.

Just about every feature of our game was poor....it was just a consolation, Wolves was below par too....I think in the main,we just got in their way and under their feet.

The worst game I have seen under Dean Smith.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

The result did not embarrass us, but the performance certainly did.....I cringed when we come on match of the day.

Just about every feature of our game was poor....it was just a consolation, Wolves was below par too....I think in the main,we just got in their way and under their feet.

The worst game I have seen under Dean Smith.

Wolves played well to be honest they didn't have a off day. We certainly did. If we have our full team at a packed villa park I fancy us to beat them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wolves played well to be honest they didn't have a off day. We certainly did. If we have our full team at a packed villa park I fancy us to beat them

If we had got anywhere close to our form against Liverpool.....we would have won that.

21 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They're a decent team and we're a pretty poor one, clear gulf in quality between the two sides but they still gave us a good chance to get something out of it. 

I don’t know about that, I’d say that was probably our worst performance of the season to date taking everything into account and they still only just beat us in the end......

They're ahead of us, but if we'd have won yesterday we'd be ahead of them in the league now, of course we didn't win but who's to say that we wouldn't have done if we'd have had our full strenght team playing.

Â