Jimzk5

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wolves fans will be fuming to have a 3 time Premier League and 2 time Champions League winning manager in charge

I know Mourinho has his faults and has had times where things aren't going so well, but it has made me laugh how many of them think they have now surpassed Mourinho as a club.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Mourinho can be very limited, but I still don't believe for a second that he'd even consider joining Wolves. Since he left Utd my opninion has been that anyone he would be willing to join doesn't want a managerwith his style and anyone who would actually be willing to hire him he'd feel he was above. If he can manage to take a job that detached from football I'd be very happy if he stayed as a pundit.

Mourinho wouldn't go to Wolves, after United he'd want a club where success would be a more sure thing in order to rebuild his reputation. Only reason he gets linked with them is because of Mendes, but he's a big enough name and has enough pull that he can do his own thing. They'd probably more likely get someone like Bruno Lage.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Mourinho wouldn't go to Wolves, after United he'd want a club where success would be a more sure thing in order to rebuild his reputation. Only reason he gets linked with them is because of Mendes, but he's a big enough name and has enough pull that he can do his own thing. They'd probably more likely get someone like Bruno Lage.

I agree with your first sentence, but I really can't see Mourinho wanting to join anyone who would actually want him. The only possibilities I thought of previously were the likes of PSG, but with such an easy league teams like that really place a premium on style.

I do think it's likely to be a lazy Mendes link.

6 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I know Mourinho has his faults and has had times where things aren't going so well, but it has made me laugh how many of them think they have now surpassed Mourinho as a club.

Like when we turned our nose up at Benitez and ended up with Houllier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Like when we turned our nose up at Benitez and ended up with Houllier.

That isn't how I remember it.   

I believe Lerner &  Krulak (🙄) interviewed Benitez and he said he needed/wanted 35 million a season to keep the team progressing (this was 2010.)

They said no thanks mate and gave Houllier the job. By January we were in the relegation zone (18th in the table, lowest position since 2002) so Lerner shit the bed and went and bought Bent for between 18-24 million (depending on which report you believe.) \We also bought Jean Makoun for God knows how much and bought in Kyle Walker and Michael Bradley on loan.

Looks like Rafa knew what he was talking about.

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I believe Lerner &  Krulak (🙄) interviewed Benitez and he said he needed/wanted 35 million a season to keep the team progressing (this was 2010.)

They said no thanks mate and gave Houllier the job. By January we were in the relegation zone (18th in the table, lowest position since 2002) so Lerner shit the bed and went and bought Bent for between 18-24 million (depending on which report you believe.) \We also bought Jean Makoun for God knows how much and bought in Kyle Walker and Michael Bradley on loan.

Yeah that's what happened from the club but I remember a lot of ours fans not being impressed when he was strongly linked.  In fairness we had just finished above his Liverpool team but if only we'd known what was to come!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Pretty sure Benitez was interviewed or at least approached in summer 2001 so after Houllier. Think you're right about his transfer demands as that's basically what he wanted at Newcastle and I remember  Brian Reade saying an experienced manager had turned us down due to lack of transfer funds. Reade was covering Liverpool so you could guess he meant Benitez.

Anyway we then went for Martinez but Wigan wouldn't give us permission so that was scrapped and then we had a flirt with Steve McClaren of all managers.

Ended up with McLeish so thinks worked out o.k in the end.....

said not even Alex McLeish. :bang:

Edited by VillaChris

Wolves losing at Palace. 

I noticed an interesting snippet in the press last week stating that Fosun were looking for some outside investment to take the club forwards.  Why to Fosun need outside investors? I thought they were rich as creosote? 

Edited by sidcow

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 22:37, VillaChris said:

Anyway we then went for Martinez but Wigan wouldn't give us permission so that was scrapped and then we had a flirt with Steve McClaren of all managers.

Pretty sure we did speak to Martinez and he turned us down.

I doubt they will be buzzing, a lot of their fans before the season began were seriously talking about them capitalizing on Arsenal, Chelsea and United having transitoinal seasons and breaking into the top six.

On 22/09/2019 at 15:20, sidcow said:

I noticed an interesting snippet in the press last week stating that Fosun were looking for some outside investment to take the club forwards.  Why to Fosun need outside investors? I thought they were rich as creosote? 

Fosun will have lost a shed load over Thomas Cook. 

I wonder if they saw this coming and the two are connected. 

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Fosun will have lost a shed load over Thomas Cook. 

I wonder if they saw this coming and the two are connected. 

Let's hope fosun are down to like a couple of brass farthings and have to go back to China or start to give out the Dr. Tony style excuses

Â