Ashley Young

maqroll

He was very good last season for Manure but after the injuries he has either regressed or not yet completely match fit and/or just not in form. Young was never the most versatile player though and that's why he never won't be more than good winger - winger who can adjust and change his game can step up to the next level. I think he will struggle in tactics which don't have wide-wingers (like what Villa and some other teams are playing), we saw how poorly he played in "Number 10" role under Houllier.

I can see him getting down in pecking order if Fergie buys another winger/attacking mid, which he probably will.

I always said that I'd be amazed if Man Utd wanted him because there were/are much better players out there. I saw him as more of a Spurs or Liverpool player and I haven't seen anything that has changed my mind.

Yeah he'll produce the goods now and then but the majority of the time it's all running into people and under/over hitting crosses.

• 8 years later...

Aston Villa are interested in bringing Ashley Young back to the club.

The 35-year-old will be allowed to leave Inter Milan this summer and Villa have already asked about whether he would consider returning.

https://theathletic.com/news/ashley-young-aston-villa-transfer/GLsPEH4XZjSd

athletic saying we enquiring about Ashley Young as versatile full back option.

still a good player playing at a high level. 35 though 

Seems like the complete opposite of a signing we would make. But I could kinda see the logic in it if we did on a 1 year deal, though, that seems too short sighted for where the club is now. Don't think it would happen. 

• Like 1

I would be shocked if we brought him back, unless it's for peanuts and we miss out on all our left back targets.  

Also, if he's expecting an emotional return, he must have forgotten all about that dive against us the following season after he switched teams...  because we sure didn't!

• Like 2

Â