Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

26 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

It's funny, it's like there is some kind of memo from sky etc to push us as everybodys favourite losers. I think the length of time we've been away from the league and Bielsa being manager has combined to make a perfect storm of media nonsense.

I hate both sides of what we get from the media, the criticism and suggestions Bielsa should turn into Roy Hodgson are just as bad.

There's a narrative that Bielsa does this because he wants to entertain and that's not true, he's corrected loads of sky journalists on loads of occasions that he plays this way because it's the best way he thinks we can get the win.

We don't go out to get a 'result' like a lot of the bottom half. We play our way and to win regardless of who were lining up against for better or worse.

i genuinely think there is actually, because they know it triggers people. more clicks on the articles etc, so more money. i dont think those praising heavy defeats actually believe what they spout half the time

24 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

We're a few wins away from European football in our first season, I think we have to take the good with the bad and sitting back against top teams would mean we just lose as does everybody else, I'm not sure this team would do much if we played zonally and got forward less, its a championship squad still who found a way to play that evens the odds.

Nothing is made of the fact we have Llorente and Koch still injured, are playing a left winger at LB, RB at CB and a CB at DM..

I think you think I'm saying something I'm not saying. I haven't had a dig at how well Leeds are doing or their style in general.

My comment was aimed at the media who continue to compliment Leeds about how brave and attacking they are when they're conceding their fourth goal. It's the exact reason the goals were being conceded yet they were being complimented on it. It's a bit weird.

Leeds have done really well. I don't think it's unfair to suggest there are some scenarios where just continuing to blindly attack when the goals are pouring in at the other end isn't the right thing to do.

I'll make a bold prediction: 'Leeds will struggle next season'.

Of course Leeds' fans take the simplistic view that because they've done well this season then all they have to do is sign better players and they as a team will do even better. But I think that Bielsa has such a specific way of playing and doing things, that it needs a certain type to buy into it, it's probably easier to get a bunch of average championship players to buy into his methods than it is to do so with more expensive players that will have more of an ego, he's said himself that he sees players as like robots, or words to that affect.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Bielsa worked a minor miracle getting them promoted in the first place, especially automatically, would have been an achievment to get them in the play-offs, their squad was midtable championship quality, nowhere near as strong as the squads we had in the championship, these are their championship finishes in the six seasons prior to Bielsa's arrival: 13th, 7th, 13th, 15th, 15th, 13th, and they only got that one 7th place finish because of Chris Wood's goals, no other team that season was more reliant on one player.

Even if you look at their team this season, because of injuries for the most part they're using the same players they used in the championship, that is players in the championship that didn't amount to much both as a team or as individuals before Bielsa arrived.

I'm not sure why there's a need to keep comparing Bielsa and Smith anyway, they've both done very good jobs, but in different circumstances.

I think this gets exaggerated. I didn't pay much attention to them but they had: Phillips, who they rated at over £30 million and instantly became an international once promoted; Bamford, who'd had previous good spells in the championship scoring goal, Harrison on loan from man city and Ben White on loan from Brighton. 

Hernandez is clearly a top championship player and they were also able to sign the likes of Costa and Augustin at that level. Also they had Nketia from arsenal. 

I don't buy it. Biesla has done a good job but I think it's exaggerated. This year, he's also been able to spend a lot of money bringing players in. 

It's a success clearly but still no where near the hype they get. 

53 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Leeds have had a great season and play stuff that is great for the neutral to watch. I don't think anybody is denying that. However were I a Leeds fan I would be concerned at these sort of games

I wouldn't. I think their approach is perfect for their situation. No matter what style they played, as people have said the squad they have can't compete with the established top 6 type of clubs - they have and will get some tonkings over the season - but that's not the point here. The point is that they will comfortable survive because they play attacking football - they'll have enough wins through their endeavour and belief in their method. And then having stayed up, they can attract better players and push on again. They've done really well and like you say they're good to watch. If I was a Leeds fan I'd be ecstatic, regardless of the beatings.

There are many ways to skin a cat and the Leeds way is refreshingly different from the scraping around looking for a draw here and there, and a dogged 1-0 away at Southampton or Burnley or Palace or wherever. The try and win every game attitude is the right way, for me.

• Like 2

Interesting that Bielsa’s Wikipedia page’s longest bit is the Leeds part he really hasn’t done anything of note during his career, short spells at Argentine sides walking out after 2 days at Lazio suspension from Lille and very short spells in La liga and a disastrous Argentine national team gig 

Phillips and Hernandez they had before Bielsa arrived and they were finishing midtable, Phillips wasn't even a DM back then, he was meant to be an attacking midfielder, and most Leeds' fans thought he was rubbish, wasn't until working with Bielsa and chaning position that his form improved rapidly.

Harrison and Bamford weren't that great for them in the championship, in fact both are doing better in the premier league, but I think before this premier league season started most would have wanted them replaced as starters.

Bielsa hardly used either Nketia or Augustin, and Costa hasn't been very good for a while now, form dropped off massively when he was injured in Wolves promotion season which is why they eventually let him go and he ended up back in the championship.

If Leeds were to sell the likes of Ayling, Cooper, Dallas, Alioski, Struijk, Forshaw, Costa, Hernanez, Klich, and Roberts, I bet there wouldn't be many, if any takers at premier league level, and that's pretty much half of their squad.

22 minutes ago, useless said:

I'll make a bold prediction: 'Leeds will struggle next season'.

Of course Leeds' fans take the simplistic view that because they've done well this season then all they have to do is sign better players and they as a team will do even better. But I think that Bielsa has such a specific way of playing and doing things, that it needs a certain type to buy into it, it's probably easier to get a bunch of average championship players to buy into his methods than it is to do so with more expensive players that will have more of an ego, he's said himself that he sees players as like robots, or words to that affect.

Bielsa is also quick to throw a player away after 2 or 3 weeks if he doesn't fit the style ir attitude like Augustin. Might be a bigger issue if splash 20 million on a player 

10 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Interesting that Bielsa’s Wikipedia page’s longest bit is the Leeds part he really hasn’t done anything of note during his career, short spells at Argentine sides walking out after 2 days at Lazio suspension from Lille and very short spells in La liga and a disastrous Argentine national team gig 

You're judging the success of a manager's career on the length of subsections of their Wikipedia page? Are you well?

On 14/02/2021 at 13:48, The Moustache of Teale said:

Say what you like about Leeds but their games are never boring. They’re a breath of fresh air to be fair. If they weren’t a bunch of man-bun wearing toss pots with arrogant words removed for fans, I’d actually quite like them. 

Yeah they're really fun to watch. Their movement almost reminds me of synchronized swimming, everybody knows where to be at any given moment and they all flood forward together. Very well coached (shame they neglect the defensive side though).

Compare that to watching a team like Newcastle who look like someone assembled a team of 6.5/10 players and asked them to play with each other for the first time with no further instructions. I know what team I'd rather have in the league.

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think this gets exaggerated. I didn't pay much attention to them but they had: Phillips, who they rated at over £30 million and instantly became an international once promoted; Bamford, who'd had previous good spells in the championship scoring goal, Harrison on loan from man city and Ben White on loan from Brighton. 

Hernandez is clearly a top championship player and they were also able to sign the likes of Costa and Augustin at that level. Also they had Nketia from arsenal. 

I don't buy it. Biesla has done a good job but I think it's exaggerated. This year, he's also been able to spend a lot of money bringing players in. 

It's a success clearly but still no where near the hype they get. 

Phillips wasn't that great before Bielsa. He was more of an attacking midfielder and he wasn't anything to write home about.

Think about it like this, in the 2 years before Bielsa came, were you dreading trips to Elland Road? Were there any players you were worried about? There was Chris Wood that one season and that's it. They were remarkably mediocre before Bielsa.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Phillips wasn't that great before Bielsa. He was more of an attacking midfielder and he wasn't anything to write home about.

Think about it like this, in the 2 years before Bielsa came, were you dreading trips to Elland Road? Were there any players you were worried about? There was Chris Wood that one season and that's it. They were remarkably mediocre before Bielsa.

We struggled there in Championship, s loss and a draw from a Lansbury equaliser

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

You're judging the success of a manager's career on the length of subsections of their Wikipedia page? Are you well?

If you go and delete the Leeds subsection then he has achieved literally nothing there, if he was ever even manager.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Not really the later part of his career I knew but the early part is just as bad, sure he has a good brand of football but it’s pointless as he never lasts anywhere long, No Im not well been very ill for a year thanks for asking though mate

Leeds are certainly fun to watch simply because their games are unmitigated chaos. It's good as a neutral, but I often feel like I'd be watching the games from behind the sofa if I were a fan.

Edited by Greenfly
Damn typos

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think they have more going for them than Sheffield United

me too, can see them making some good signings and again being perfectly fine next season

and the fans declaring those signings as world beaters who could play for any club in world football but they want to work with bielsa and all of the english media declaring that leeds are in a great position to make the push for europe and that they're the only team in the history of the PL to do it making them this huge special club!!!!

and then this time next year when they're still sat in 11th  rival fans will tell them to get back in their box again

Â