Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nah, they won't at all.  They weren't necessarily unlucky tonight, but I thought they were the better side.  They've played some tough teams and looked decent - will be mid table.

I'm not convinced. They nearly had a terrible collapse against Fulham, their keeper kept them in the game against sheff u and man city should have been out of sight after 20 minutes.

They play some good stuff and they go for it in games but over the course of the season I don't see them doing much. Think they have enough to stay up  

1 minute ago, useless said:

Sheffield United and Fulham are the only teams they've managed to beat, and even those games were close. I think it's too early to rule them out of being in a relegation battle.

Yep. 

It was a good draw against city but city were poor and their loss against Liverpool seems to have increased the hype around them. 

Costa looks like he's going to be a good player for them . Their work rate and intensity is good to watch , some of the one touch football and their well coached , they no where to be and where to run.

I like watching them. If they can get some luck in front of goal then they could really batter someone, they really went at Wolves tonight, first 20 minutes. A lesser team could have easily capitulated. 

Leeds are a decent team missing some quality, that maybe Costa once he gets up to speed. 

They are very physical and could find yellow cards an issue , the ref let a fair bit go tonight , Philips got away with a forearm smack, without even a booking. 

They'll still be fine but I think reality is dawning in Yorkshire (and seemingly the national press) that games like tonight show Leeds are a country mile away from being a serious top 7 contender which loads were bigging them up for some reason.

I remember reading an article a few years ago, of the top ten most hated clubs in English football. Leeds were the only team on that list that wasn't in the Premier League. They also seem to have 4 or 5 times more rivalries with other clubs than any other team.

What I don't get, is what or where is this huge fan base? I don't see any non English football fans having a moment of enlightenment thinking " I want to be a Leeds supporter", and they are definitely not the team for glory hunters. The only fan catchment they could have is the possible 750 thousand who live in Leeds, but then you subtract all those who couldn't give a toss about football, or support someone else, and that remains a pretty small fan base. 

I am just going to say it. Leeds' huge fan base is a myth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

I remember reading an article a few years ago, of the top ten most hated clubs in English football. Leeds were the only team on that list that wasn't in the Premier League. They also seem to have 4 or 5 times more rivalries with other clubs than any other team.

What I don't get, is what or where is this huge fan base? I don't see any non English football fans having a moment of enlightenment thinking " I want to be a Leeds supporter", and they are definitely not the team for glory hunters. The only fan catchment they could have is the possible 750 thousand who live in Leeds, but then you subtract all those who couldn't give a toss about football, or support someone else, and that remains a pretty small fan base. 

Leeds have a decent fanbase from a certain age group and they pass it onto the kids. In Ireland and Scandinavia they would have a good following from people born in 50s or 60s

In England the fans mainly have the hooligan reputation as why they are disliked

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

6th most shirt sales in England last year, from the championship.

51 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They'll still be fine but I think reality is dawning in Yorkshire (and seemingly the national press) that games like tonight show Leeds are a country mile away from being a serious top 7 contender which loads were bigging them up for some reason.

Yeah. They'll probably be 15thish but the media basically built them up as Wolves Mk2 for no good reason.

• Like 1

Their run in the late 90's came when the Premier League was reaching more people around the world via satellite tv.  Therefore they gained quite a few fans in that period. I have a good number of friends here in Asia that follow them - quite disproportionate to other non Sky 4 sides.  

The only thing I really dislike about them is from the last time we played them. Very poor sportsmanship, prior to giving us the goal. Also, there are not many players I dislike more than Bamford. 

Disregarding that game, they don't exactly turn me on. They appealed to a few of my fellow southern Earthers with the Kewell and Viduka factor some time ago, but to me they were just meh.

For some unknown reason Russell Crowe is a fan of theirs. He narrated that ridiculous documentary that white washed the fact that they f*cked everything up in the run in and missed out on promotion in 2019 :crylaugh:

But thinking about it these days he looks like an old Northener who has drank too much bitter and had far too many pies, so I guess he'd fit in up there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

For some unknown reason Russell Crowe is a fan of theirs. He narrated that ridiculous documentary that white washed the fact that they f*cked everything up in the run in and missed out on promotion in 2019 :crylaugh:

But thinking about it these days he looks like an old Northener who has drank too much bitter and had far too many pies, so I guess he'd fit in up there.

They had a pretty strong Australian connection around the turn of the millennium which was also about the time matches were finally getting shown on cable TV in Australia, so they have a pretty big following there.

It wasn’t just Kewell and Viduka, there were a whole bunch of Australians including the Aussie captain Paul Okon and a bunch of lesser names. They must have had a scouting team down under. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Bound to be. Leeds United fans mass buying their 'big promotion shirt'.Just another year for everyone else. 

Or that people with jobs need to wear other clothes than football shirts. 

I'm taking a hazard guess Newcastle also were on that list. 

That being said, despite the loss last night they have had a good start to the season and shown both work rate, organisation and skill. They should be fairly happy. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â