Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

Looking at the transfer stats, Leeds have spent around £100m as well.

Yet no-one is the media is asking if they will "do a Fulham" like they were with us. It's bizarre.

As for Crediting Bielsa with "showing us the way" (muppets) they really should be saying how brilliant Smith is, in being able to take Bielsa's ideas and convert them from a 4-3 loss to a 7-2 win......

My prediction for Leeds - continue their reasonable start, pull off a few shock results, hit mid-table, the touting of European football for them gets louder, then after Christmas start to burn out and drop down the table. Narrowly avoid relegation and Bielsa is hailed as a god by all in the media.

Ironically, I think that in the same way the COVID break saved us from relegation, giving us time to regroup and rethink, it gave promotion to Leeds, allowing the players to recover and rejuvenate and continue the levels of intensity that would otherwise have fallen off like previous years. This season the premier league fixture list is more congested - meaning games with a similar regularity to the Championship, but there are less of them - be interesting to see when fatigue sets in. Like us last year they have a decent first team squad, but no strength in depth.

I don't dislike Leeds, I just don't get the media love in for them. Yes they are a "big" club compared to most in the Championship, but I would much prefer to see Forest, Wednesday or Derby in the prem before Leeds (albeit, at the moment all three look like they might go the other way!)

• Like 1

Leeds spent the £100 mill on fewer players than last season's Villa. So they are not "doing a Fulham". Leeds has made good additions to a team that has played with each other for 2 years. And Calvin Phillips is a really good player. That Grealish wasn't called up last year at all, wasn't the fault of Leeds or Phillips.

15 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Hahaha, did you manage to miss Gomez playing attacking midfield against Leeds or van Dijk giving Bamford an assist?:crylaugh:

He seems to have forgotten that Leeds scored every shot on target in that game and like you said, were gifted a goal. 

Leeds didn't show any such plan how to exploit Liverpool. 1) they lost 2) Liverpool could have scored 7 or 8 against them 3) Leeds barely created many goal scoring chances. 

And you've got @BigRedclaiming they created some master plan that no one else could have done from it. 

Unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I cracked a smile when listening to Football Weekly this week when Barry Glendenning managed to give credit to Bielsa for Villa beating Liverpool 7-2

The love in is real. I really **** hope they go down.

I've just downloaded it. Thanks for the heads up so I can delete it without listening. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

As for Crediting Bielsa with "showing us the way" (muppets) they really should be saying how brilliant Smith is, in being able to take Bielsa's ideas and convert them from a 4-3 loss to a 7-2 win......

This is ultimately what I don't get about Bielsa. He's raved about as being amazing, and I get that he's certainly a manager's manager, but if you look at every manager inspired by him, they take his ideas but convert them in to something much better and add the stability that makes his ideas workable. That's why Bielsa hasn't won a major trophy for 30 years. Professional sport is littered with visionaries who are so obbsessed with their systems that they can't see the faults or can't apply the system to get sustained success, who are then followed by much better coaches that perfect their ideas. For all the managers that are inspired by Bielsa (Pochettino, Guardiola, Simeone to name a few), how many actually play similarly to him? Or even each other?

So maybe Smith was inspired by Bielsa, but he'd just be another in a long line of managers that saw his work and went "I can make that better".

Glad this bickering will be over in a few weeks , I wonder who will come out on top. Bet it's a draw,, 4-4 . 

Leeds had a great game against Liverpool and we had a better game , we have had an extra year in the Premier League but Bielsa has had a few more years to build his team. 

Question I would really like to ask is how long has Philip's got left on his contract? 😉

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Glad this bickering will be over in a few weeks , I wonder who will come out on top. Bet it's a draw,, 4-4 . 

Leeds had a great game against Liverpool and we had a better game , we have had an extra year in the Premier League but Bielsa has had a few more years to build his team. 

Question I would really like to ask is how long has Philip's got left on his contract? 😉

Oh, we are definitely getting pumped 4-0 or something. We were shocking against them in the Championship, and even the couple of years before they went down when they were terrible. We were actually decent against them when they were good.

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've just downloaded it. Thanks for the heads up so I can delete it without listening. 

To be fair it’s actually pretty good and they give a lot of praise to Villa and Grealish in particular

Just that comment from Barry made me roll my eyes

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair it’s actually pretty good and they give a lot of praise to Villa and Grealish in particular

Just that comment from Barry made me roll my eyes

Really frustrates me. It's either underselling us and forgetting we exist or trying to sell our players off.

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've never known a club, achieve so little and yet their fans act so entitled. 

There's an odd section of Villa fans that love to talk about how huge a club they are and how much they've won, that they're an entirely different entity to your Forest, Leeds, Spurs etc but most of your winnings are in the 1800's? Legitimately not a person alive has seen those days but you'll all talk about how Everton are a 'proper club like us with proper history like us' its bizarre. Post WW2 you've had some good stints, like a lot of clubs but that's about it.

I dont think I've ever seen Preston fans talk about how they absolutely bossed the league in 1890.

3 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

There's an odd section of Villa fans that love to talk about how huge a club they are and how much they've won, that they're an entirely different entity to your Forest, Leeds, Spurs etc but most of your winnings are in the 1800's? Legitimately not a person alive has seen those days but you'll all talk about how Everton are a 'proper club like us with proper history like us' its bizarre. Post WW2 you've had some good stints, like a lot of clubs but that's about it.

I dont think I've ever seen Preston fans talk about how they absolutely bossed the league in 1890.

Yeah but there's history and there's Villa's history. We were basically the most successful club in the country for over 70 years. Even now only a handful of clubs are above us. That's more than just beating the Royal Engineers 2-1 once in 1879. Also spent the second most amount of years in the top flight after Everton. So for pretty much our entire history we've either been at the top of the game or competing at the top level.

Edited by VillaJ100

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah but there's history and there's Villa's history. We were basically the most successful club in the country for over 70 years. 

This explains a lot. Grandparents who saw the best British team took their sons (our fathers) to see the Villa and that mentality has trickled down on today's fans.

Add to that that that we were only really in lower divisions for a longer period in late 60s/early 70s (excluding the most recent 3 years in championship) and you have a club that has been in the top divisions for a vast majority of their history, playing with the best teams in the country and expecting to challenge within the top leagues. 

Leeds can't say that about their club. 

7 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

We have a lot of history and just over a decade ago, we were challenging for top 4, yet most villa fans don't act like we're the greatest team out there or we're something special. The vast majority last year, knew that 17th was a good season. 

In contrast, Leeds who haven't been in the prem for how many years, and weren't even a top championship side for many years, have now become some elitist fanbase because they finally got promoted. 

The hype around your manager is ridiculous and the post from your fellow Leeds supporter was a prime example of the arrogance of your fanbase. You lost a game to the champions and you genuinely believe you're the ones who have found them out. 

I never really cared about Leeds until that game at Elland Road, the more I pay attention the more there is to dislike. 

11 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

I think most of my arrogance as a Villa fan comes from Villa winning the European Cup which I shoe horn into conversations with Blues fans as often as is possible. 😆

It's always done tongue in cheek but I'm probably not a good example because I love when people overly talk up their own clubs, that's the whole point of being a fan as far as I'm concerned.

If I was a Leeds fan I would never stop banging on about the EC that Bayern cheated you out of. I love that Leeds fans are very confident, it makes for more fun discussions. Especially after they've been so shit for so long.

My only real problem with Leeds is the media's narrative they've almost let get out of hand that Bielsa is an untouchable genius beyond what any lowly regular coach could even comprehend. It was a bit tedious at first but now it's verging on Poe's law territory. Multiple unrelated sources have given him credit for our win against Liverpool despite the fact that, as I've already mentioned, Leeds used a completely different gameplan and got outclassed and were lucky to only lose by one goal.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah but there's history and there's Villa's history. We were basically the most successful club in the country for over 70 years. Even now only a handful of clubs are above us. That's more than just beating the Royal Engineers 2-1 once in 1879. Also spent the second most amount of years in the top flight after Everton. So for pretty much our entire history we've either been at the top of the game or competing at the top level.

But you didn't continue to win in those 70.

Competing at the top level but achieving very little is essentially the stick everybody uses to beat Newcastle with it can't then be turned around as an argument for success.

So 3 generations ago your club had a dominant spell and has spent its last 120 years telling future generations how great the club was? I mean I guess but achievements from the Victorian era have no relevance to really any modern fan.

4 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

But you didn't continue to win in those 70.

Competing at the top level but achieving very little is essentially the stick everybody uses to beat Newcastle with it can't then be turned around as an argument for success.

So 3 generations ago your club had a dominant spell and has spent its last 120 years telling future generations how great the club was? I mean I guess but achievements from the Victorian era have no relevance to really any modern fan.

I would have no issue with Leeds referring to past glories and the success the club have had previously, if they weren't so arrogant about right now. 

Every club is proud of achievements. We can talk about glory some of us weren't even alive to see, and at the same time acknowledge we were a newly promoted club and finishing 17th was a good year last season. 

But I don't hear about Leeds past success or what they used to be. They've become so arrogant its like they're currently that team, when in reality you've finally got out of the championship and have had a couple of decent results. 

Â