Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

12 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Their run in the late 90's came when the Premier League was reaching more people around the world via satellite tv.  Therefore they gained quite a few fans in that period. I have a good number of friends here in Asia that follow them - quite disproportionate to other non Sky 4 sides.  

They were good in the 90s in fairness. Won the league which everyone forgets about because it was last year of old Division one (imagine the hype if they'd actually won in the first ever season of prem like we should've), got to cup final in 1996 (too young for that Rino?😉) and think between 98-2002 they were in europe every season (we were aswell but they didn't have to go through intertoto route).

Actually we didn't qualify in 1999 which is a bit mad considering we were top of the league until mid February. Ended up finishing 12 points behind Leeds and below West Ham which is pretty embarrasing.

Leeds just fell so much after the money ran out from 2002 onwards but easy to forget 20 years ago us, them and Newcastle were all part of the 7 teams who'd interchange positions and likes of Everton and Spurs were regularly battling relegation.

The 90s were fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Disagree - think we're better when we have time on the ball rather than being hurried; particularly defensively.  We'll see how it goes!

It's certainly been a big weakness for us last few years, Hourihane is the sort who goes completely AWOL when we face those sort of teams.

I think now with fully fit McGinn, Doug and Barkley we have midfield who can counter that.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Law of averages to be honest. It's just a gut feeling.

I agree we should be favourites. We are clearly better than leeds, we're the form team in the whole league, we're playing with confidence, we have better players, a better manager. Everything is in our favour.

Maybe it's just the absolute absurdity of Villa winning 5 premier league games in a row and being top of the league. For whatever reason I'm just expecting defeat.

Honestly there's probably not another team in the league I'd rather smash this season than these cretins, but I just have a bad feeling.

Think what will hurt Leeds is quick turnaround of games. O.k it happened aswell in championshiop but playing Luton and Barnsley in quick succession is a bit easier than Wolves and us.

Think more dangerous game for us is Southampton who destroyed us at VP last season, have a fantastic striker and they're very good away from home and just scored 3 times at Chelsea. I'd be pretty impressive if we actually won that one.

Just now, Xela said:

I think Leeds will be a real challenge for us on Friday. 

Just a feeling I have 

We know how they play.

Still remember the game at Villa Park. Just a relentless pressure for the whole game.

Luckily we have a stronger midfield this time out who is able to compete with them.

7 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I think they look very busy.

At the same time, they don't look like a free scoring team, nor are they hard to score against.

They just look busy.

I don't know, I'm sure Bielsa is a good manager and the style is unique, but they aren't anything special, they weren't even anything special in the Championship. 

They are a good team, but they can get in line with teams like Crystal Palace for me. 

Yup. They play good football, but lack quality in the final third. With our defence and how it's playing I don't really see them hurting us too bad, but I worry they'll disrupt our rhythm and make it hard for us to hurt them.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Just a feeling I have 

I agree - I've been really impressed with Leeds and their attacking intent in games and I say that as someone who dislikes them a lot!

Let's hope we put in a top performance and get the 3 points.

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Dunno, they might have been better off if he didn’t play last night.

Someone doing a confused face reaction to this post (@tinker ;)) must not have seen who deflected the ball into his own net to sink Leeds :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Just a feeling I have 

Yeah, I dislike Leeds, but no doubting they work like trojans and will give most teams a run for their money from just pure effort if nothing else.

Also, as much as I cringe at the way a lot of their fans and media jerk over bielsa, he does have a really nice style of play, and demands 100% work ethic which you can see on the pitch, he is a good manager.

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You'd think they were top of the league with tweets like this.

They're mid table because they've beaten the two worst teams in the league. They're doing about as well as expected

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m quite happy to see Leeds do well in the premier league, just as long as we beat them twice and finish above them. 

Thats the spirit. I don't care about Leeds. Just another team we have to beat!

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You'd think they were top of the league with tweets like this.

They're mid table because they've beaten the two worst teams in the league. They're doing about as well as expected

Amusingly out of everyone I think Leeds' results most closely reflect the position of the teams they've played. Lost to 3rd and 6th, drew with 11th and beat 19th and 20th.

They're the unsurprising package so far this season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Amusingly out of everyone I think Leeds' results most closely reflect the position of the teams they've played. Lost to 3rd and 6th, drew with 11th and beat 19th and 20th.

Lost to 2nd/1st on Friday too 🔮

2 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

To be fair one of those draws were against Man City 

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I'm not suggesting it wasn't a good result, just that it was a vulnerable looking City that had just been boot stomped 5-2 by Leicester so not overly surprising

If Bielsa's record is anything to go by they need to get off to a flyer because they will run out of steam by Easter. I think they were helped by the Covid break last season. 

Â