Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

To be fair to them they put a good showing in for the first half, they do like to do everything at full pace.

However they have been used to this being enough the last few years, up here it will be far more difficult as most the teams are much more savvy.

Wolves just did their half time switch to attack tactics thing and they couldnt handle it.

They will be screwed when bielsa leaves as it's still a championship side in essence, but he just makes them play like their lives depend on it.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not convinced. They nearly had a terrible collapse against Fulham, their keeper kept them in the game against sheff u and man city should have been out of sight after 20 minutes.

They play some good stuff and they go for it in games but over the course of the season I don't see them doing much. Think they have enough to stay up  

They did nearly have a collapse against Fulham - they were almost too comfortable.  Not sure about them being kept in the game against Sheff Utd; I certainly don't remember it being that way - think their keeper did make a couple of great saves though (sort of like Martinez has!).

Leeds will finish in the 10th to 14th range IMO and won't be involved in a relegation battle.  (Obviously hoping they go down lolz)

Edit:  They're also the kind of side we tend to struggle against - high pressing, fast paced.  Both Liverpool and Leicester do that but were nowhere near as intense as they usually are when we've played them.  Will be interesting on Friday for sure.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Disagree - think we're better when we have time on the ball rather than being hurried; particularly defensively.  We'll see how it goes!

Hard to tell as we haven't struggled against anyone yet  😎

But yeah, got to be careful with the press. As good as they were on Sunday both Konsa and Mings were guilty of playing a suicide pass out from the back.

10 hours ago, tinker said:

Costa looks like he's going to be a good player for them . Their work rate and intensity is good to watch , some of the one touch football and their well coached , they no where to be and where to run.

I like watching them. If they can get some luck in front of goal then they could really batter someone, they really went at Wolves tonight, first 20 minutes. A lesser team could have easily capitulated. 

Leeds are a decent team missing some quality, that maybe Costa once he gets up to speed. 

They are very physical and could find yellow cards an issue , the ref let a fair bit go tonight , Philips got away with a forearm smack, without even a booking. 

They have been. Their shots to goals ratio was ridiculous and never going to continue. 

Last night showed what will normally happen with them IMO. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Last night showed what will normally happen with them IMO. 

Not every team will defend as well as Wolves though. 

I really am curious how Smith will set up his team against them. They play football in a really unique way.

We have shown this season that we are capable of playing in different ways to counteract our opponents style and it will be interesting to see how we approach this one and to be honest I am not sure which style I would like us to adopt.

Do we go more conservative, sit back and let them come on to us, then look to exploit the spaces that they leave between the midfield and defence - like Wolves did to them last night to great success.

Or do we press from the front, put them under pressure right from the off and try to dominate possession, trusting that we have more quality to hurt them than they do us - bit like their game with Liverpool. This could play more into their hands but likewise I also could see another Liverpool type performance from us.  So an interesting predicament for the coaching staff IMO.

From what I have seen of Leeds, which is all their games bar the first half of Manchester City, they obviously work extremely hard, and for each other, everything 100mph, and they possess some good players - I think they will finish around mid-table but not sure why they are getting all this media attention. Well I am. Bielsa. Rather nauseating and like a fair few Villa fans, it would be great to knock them down a peg or two with a nice solid victory on Friday night. 

They looked quite jaded in the second half last night, Phillips (arguably their best player) took a heavy fall and might be a doubt for Friday, and if he does play might not be at 100%, and they have issues in central defence, so hopefully with an extra days rest and buoyed by our stunning start to the season, we can get another 3 points. Match them for work-rate and effort and our extra quality should be enough 🙏 UTV

I thought they were shit last night. 

They were good for the first 20 minutes, but that's clearly how Wolves play. They're a second half team. 

Second half Leeds looked awful and never really looked like scoring.

I still think they'll beat us on Friday though :( 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

We have shown this season that we are capable of playing in different ways to counteract our opponents style and it will be interesting to see how we approach this one and to be honest I am not sure which style I would like us to adopt.

Do we go more conservative, sit back and let them come on to us, then look to exploit the spaces that they leave between the midfield and defence - like Wolves did to them last night to great success.

Or do we press from the front, put them under pressure right from the off and try to dominate possession, trusting that we have more quality to hurt them than they do us - bit like their game with Liverpool. This could play more into their hands but likewise I also could see another Liverpool type performance from us.  So an interesting predicament for the coaching staff IMO.

From what I have seen of Leeds, which is all their games bar the first half of Manchester City, they obviously work extremely hard, and for each other, everything 100mph, and they possess some good players - I think they will finish around mid-table but not sure why they are getting all this media attention. Well I am. Bielsa. Rather nauseating and like a fair few Villa fans, it would be great to knock them down a peg or two with a nice solid victory on Friday night. 

They looked quite jaded in the second half last night, Phillips (arguably their best player) took a heavy fall and might be a doubt for Friday, and if he does play might not be at 100%, and they have issues in central defence, so hopefully with an extra days rest and buoyed by our stunning start to the season, we can get another 3 points. Match them for work-rate and effort and our extra quality should be enough 🙏 UTV

We need to stay in the game. If it's 0-0 at half time that would be great.

They can't keep up that pace for a whole game which the Wolves game showed. They will start to tire.

I think they look very busy.

At the same time, they don't look like a free scoring team, nor are they hard to score against.

They just look busy.

I don't know, I'm sure Bielsa is a good manager and the style is unique, but they aren't anything special, they weren't even anything special in the Championship. 

They are a good team, but they can get in line with teams like Crystal Palace for me. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought they were shit last night. 

They were good for the first 20 minutes, but that's clearly how Wolves play. They're a second half team. 

Second half Leeds looked awful and never really looked like scoring.

I still think they'll beat us on Friday though :( 

I agree, second half they were very poor - I don't think Wolves were particularly great either, albeit defensively solid.

Why do you think they will beat us? We have won 4 from 4. Thrashed the Champions, won away at a top four chasing side, kept 3 clean sheets, playing well, so much positivity within the camp...

Style of play? Law of averages?

I mean, I am normally quite pessimistic but I think they should be worrying more about us than we should be them.

50 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think they look very busy.

At the same time, they don't look like a free scoring team, nor are they hard to score against.

They just look busy.

I don't know, I'm sure Bielsa is a good manager and the style is unique, but they aren't anything special, they weren't even anything special in the Championship

They are a good team, but they can get in line with teams like Crystal Palace for me. 

This. 

I don't think they were better than wolves or Norwich when they won the championship and got promoted. Yet the Biesla myth would have then down as the greatest team to come from the league. 

55 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I agree, second half they were very poor - I don't think Wolves were particularly great either, albeit defensively solid.

Why do you think they will beat us? We have won 4 from 4. Thrashed the Champions, won away at a top four chasing side, kept 3 clean sheets, playing well, so much positivity within the camp...

Style of play? Law of averages?

I mean, I am normally quite pessimistic but I think they should be worrying more about us than we should be them.

Law of averages to be honest. It's just a gut feeling.

I agree we should be favourites. We are clearly better than leeds, we're the form team in the whole league, we're playing with confidence, we have better players, a better manager. Everything is in our favour.

Maybe it's just the absolute absurdity of Villa winning 5 premier league games in a row and being top of the league. For whatever reason I'm just expecting defeat.

Honestly there's probably not another team in the league I'd rather smash this season than these cretins, but I just have a bad feeling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â