Media and punditry

BOF

15 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Ivan Toney presented an award at the Brits last night, just to add to the media love in about him. Its stuff like that, genuinely, that will make southgate pick him over Ollie

If Ollie had been banned for betting issues, the Nose would never pick him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Ivan Toney presented an award at the Brits last night, just to add to the media love in about him. Its stuff like that, genuinely, that will make southgate pick him over Ollie

Nice to see him fully focused on his football since coming back from his ban. Take the piss some of these players.

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

Personally, I like hearing them talk about games and validating certain decisions.  It's a form of entertainment.

They also show more highlights (generally) than the goals on YouTube - which is a plus.

Yeah, comparing MOTD to YouTube/Sky goals coverage is a non comparison really. 

Mcoist on  Talkshite at it again with his favourites. Foden or Saka best players in the country???

Yes I'd say Foden is technically better, but Watkins playing in a lesser team with better stats than the pair of them, not even a mention 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Mcoist on  Talkshite at it again with his favourites. Foden or Saka best players in the country???

Yes I'd say Foden is technically better, but Watkins playing in a lesser team with better stats than the pair of them, not even a mention 

Awful programme.

Only time I listen to it is Friday afternoon when collymore is on , nice to hear someone bigging us up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

To be fair, there is an argument for Foden being the best attacker in the league now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

To be fair, there is an argument for Foden being the best attacker in the league now.

Yeah he probably is and also to be fair to him saka is a great player 

It's the old problem that we used to have with Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard etc though as well as various other players

Best players in the PL + PL is the best league in the world = they're the best players in the world and world class

I get the logic but it's simply not true and that's where a lot of the overrating of our players comes from, both are great players, neither are world class walk in to any team players, only 2 English players are and funnily enough neither of them play in the PL

• Like 1

Story today seems to be focusing on the fact that forest regained possession amd the decision to give Liverpool the ball was nearly 2 minutes prior to them scoring.

Forest regained possession in their own penalty area. 

They should have had possession on the outskirts of Liverpool's penalty area, uncontested.

It's just a joke. The media backing up the incompetence of the referees to play down major incompetence.

Then the BBC leading with an article that Tierney has not selected for this weekend... except he has, he'll be the VAR, and like every other weekend it's just a simple rotation of responsibilities and nothing to do with the FA recognising he was rubbish.

• Like 1

One of those dumb "soccer fan" language questions, if you don't mind?

The British football media use the idiom "take his chances" or "take their chances" often. This is a confusing phrase for these American ears. The meaning seems to "scoring when given an opportunity," but to me, it sounds always like it means "taking risks" or "risking shots" near the goal. The difference isn't all that subtle, obviously -- it's dramatically different. But anytime a British commentator criticises a team or player for not "taking their chances," to me it always sounds slightly absurd, like what they're actually criticizing is the risk aversion of the players, but I am certain that's not what they mean -- right? 🤔

7 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

One of those dumb "soccer fan" language questions, if you don't mind?

The British football media use the idiom "take his chances" or "take their chances" often. This is a confusing phrase for these American ears. The meaning seems to "scoring when given an opportunity," but to me, it sounds always like it means "taking risks" or "risking shots" near the goal. The difference isn't all that subtle, obviously -- it's dramatically different. But anytime a British commentator criticises a team or player for not "taking their chances," to me it always sounds slightly absurd, like what they're actually criticizing is the risk aversion of the players, but I am certain that's not what they mean -- right? 🤔

Yeah it’s as you first described- it’s basically criticising the team for not being clinical enough in front of goal and therefore coming to rue not having scored later on in the game.

It’s interesting though that it sounds odd to American ears. When I lived in the states for a year I used to confuse people by suggesting we meet at “midday”, which I later learned didn’t have any meaning for Americans: “ok so that’s like 3pm right?” 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Yeah it’s as you first described- it’s basically criticising the team for not being clinical enough in front of goal and therefore coming to rue not having scored later on in the game.

It’s interesting though that it sounds odd to American ears. When I lived in the states for a year I used to confuse people by suggesting we meet at “midday”, which I later learned didn’t have any meaning for Americans: “ok so that’s like 3pm right?” 

Haha. Yes. Midday sounds very vague to me, almost casual.

So what is Bryan Ferry actually saying here? Does he mean, please be more clinical with me? 😉

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Haha. Yes. Midday sounds very vague to me, almost casual.

So what is Bryan Ferry actually saying here? Does he mean, please be more clinical with me? 😉

Take a chance in that sense is different in that it means more give it a go.  Try your luck.  What's the worst that could happen. Similar to the ABBA take a chance on me. 

In footbal terminology it does have its own meaning,  and should really say converting a chance.  When the commentators use the phrase of a team not taking their chances it could equally be used to describe a team squandering opportunities to shoot (a la the arsenal of old that tried to walk it into the net) as well as a team having a number of one on one's that the striker doesn't put away (be it saved, blasted over,  or placed wide).

I've never really thought about it, as it's just always meant a team not scoring as many as they should have to me, for whatever reason it is that they haven't. 

I'm sure in the Luton match I thought to myself "We're going to regret not taking our chances here". And it wasn't any particular miss, save, or wasted good position... just the collection of attacks we had that made me feel we should have been more than 2 up. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

idiom "take his chances" or "take their chances"

It is Gretzky's "You miss a 100% of the shots you don't take."

• Thanks 1

On 03/03/2024 at 19:32, GingerCollins29 said:

I don't think Southgate picks his team based on awards given out at music shows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Carragher said he called Kane and spoke to him last week, then Kane said it didn’t happen live on air :lol: 

Didnt Carragher deny spittimg that time he was caught spitting. An absolute scumbag but somehow the media have bought into his antics. Way he acts you would think he was an elite player in his day

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Way he acts you would think he was an elite player in his day

The way sky talk about him you'd swear him and Neville were world class superstars. 

Â