Media and punditry

BOF

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yeah i have a feeling that maybe we rejected a chance to sign him and he has some resentment about

He said in an article years back he just found Villa Park a really boring place to play football compared to the likes of Leeds that according to him always had a big game feel.

Probably means more when he was coming here with Charlton and Fulham and attendance was low 30k.

I do actually like him as a pundit, terrible as a co commentator though.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

100% this

Said many times the target audience is not somebody who watches every week rain or shine, moans like **** about it but watches next week regardless 

The target audience are casual floaters who might watch next week if they're entertained, not bored with in depth analysis about teams they don't really care about 

England games have a target audience of people who watch an England game in the summer every 2 or 4 years, that's why they're so painful 

And why Southgate still has the backing of a huge fan base. Anyone who knows football can see he is a fraud.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Apparently, us and Spurs are looking over  of our shoulders fearfully at the Manchester United charge for the Champions League

I see it's starting.

Pray to god they don't catch us.

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Apparently, us and Spurs are looking over  of our shoulders fearfully at the Manchester United charge for the Champions League

It's funny without var corruption and our injuries we would be about 20 points clear of the cheats. Sadly you just know they will catch us in the end and the media will spunk conveniently ignoring what it took for them to get there.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

I don't like them either but if Man U catch us I hope Spurs beat them to 4th. In a perfect world it would be us 4th Spurs 5 and literally anyone else 6th

If we are guaranteed 6th and Europa and Man U are 5th and need us to win conference final to make 5th champions league it would cross my mind to thinking losing it won't be so bad 🤣 only briefly though I'm not insane 

Edited by VillaJ100

Curtis Davies thinks we're vulnerable if we lose one of our key players to injury.  Seemingly completely unaware that we've already lost several key players to injury since the season started. And it's all down to what United do as to whether they can get top 4... because one of us or spurs are definitrly going to **** up and united just have to do their thing.

You take a key player out of united and they'd struggle. Their bench is worse than ours. And surely its down to us and Spurs, and if we carry on with the ppg we have so far, United can't overtake us anyway (short of setting an unprecedented winning streak)

Sky set up the response, with their spunkfest over Man U. As if they'd played well against Luton and deserved to win. This obsession with them is so sickening. It actually makes me want to puke.

On 18/02/2024 at 09:00, VillaJ100 said:

On the 'Football' page on the Guardian website, our match report is the 19th listed article, just above Celtic v Kilmarnock's, and below Championship round-up, the Arsenal-Man U WSL report, an article about Rodri, and an article about the f******* Baltic league.

Drives me nuts how little coverage Villa get in the Grauniad. The Europa Conference games didn't even get mentioned at the start of the season. 

I realise this is my problem and I'm working on solutions...🤪

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Curtis Davies thinks we're vulnerable if we lose one of our key players to injury.  Seemingly completely unaware that we've already lost several key players to injury since the season started. And it's all down to what United do as to whether they can get top 4... because one of us or spurs are definitrly going to **** up and united just have to do their thing.

You take a key player out of united and they'd struggle. Their bench is worse than ours. And surely its down to us and Spurs, and if we carry on with the ppg we have so far, United can't overtake us anyway (short of setting an unprecedented winning streak)

Sky set up the response, with their spunkfest over Man U. As if they'd played well against Luton and deserved to win. This obsession with them is so sickening. It actually makes me want to puke.

This is not meant as a criticism of you @MrBlack, more of a general observation, but I do think greater media literacy has to some extent come at the expense of being charitable in how we interpret what people say. I don't really think anything he says in this ~20 seconds or so is factually wrong, or even that controversial. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is not meant as a criticism of you @MrBlack, more of a general observation, but I do think greater media literacy has to some extent come at the expense of being charitable in how we interpret what people say. I don't really think anything he says in this ~20 seconds or so is factually wrong, or even that controversial. 

I like Davies comes across really well and is always respectful of Villa when asked, even if towards the end it didn’t work out well for him here.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd accept his comment if he didn't end it with "it's just about what Manchester United do"... when it quite clearly isn't. Its also about whether they can maintain this run of results, despite not actually playing that well. That would be an appropriate comment.

That statement implies its totally within their control, when it clearly isn't. And even if they do win all their games, they might still not overtake us or Spurs.

Standard of punditry is terrible, these are people whose job it is to know about the teams in the PL. Curtis another ex pro that's no better than the rest of them and will just throw out clichés. 

50 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'd accept his comment if he didn't end it with "it's just about what Manchester United do"... when it quite clearly isn't. Its also about whether they can maintain this run of results, despite not actually playing that well. That would be an appropriate comment.

That statement implies its totally within their control, when it clearly isn't. And even if they do win all their games, they might still not overtake us or Spurs.

Standard of punditry is terrible, these are people whose job it is to know about the teams in the PL. Curtis another ex pro that's no better than the rest of them and will just throw out clichés. 

Again though, is it possible you're just listening to that quite uncharitably? I doubt he literally thinks that Villa and Spurs have no say at all in who finishes 4th; what he's trying to do is link back (slightly clumsily) to the conversation about United after he briefly diverted it to the other teams. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Again though, is it possible you're just listening to that quite uncharitably? I doubt he literally thinks that Villa and Spurs have no say at all in who finishes 4th; what he's trying to do is link back (slightly clumsily) to the conversation about United after he briefly diverted it to the other teams. 

Maybe. Probably in fact.

As you say they don't get long to respond, and given his clarification on twitter sounds like had he got endless time he'd have explained himself better.

Maybe my ire should be at Sky for the way the question and section was framed. They are trying to make a race for the top 4/5 exciting,  and obviously it's more exciting if there are more than 2 teams fighting for those two spots.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 19:04, Follyfoot said:

Some say Bayern Munich are only wobbling due to the fear that a rising Man Utd will build on their momentum, win the PL, fly away over to Germany, win the bundesliga and take all Bayern’s trophies.

Tommy Tuchel wakes up in night sweats with Scott Mctominay’s face in his dreams. Don’t believe me? Just ask Gary Neville 

• Haha 2

JFC !!!!!

The bias from Sky towards Manure is beyond a joke. It's so fecking annoying.

They lost, they're 6th yet Sky football go straight to reporting on them after the results are read out and it's all about Manure. It's all about Manure and the Jim Ratcliffe revolution.

Absolute bunch of hand gallopers.

We are 4th, win an entertaining game but no, it's the Manure road show.

Dreadful

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, imavillan said:

JFC !!!!!

They lost, they're 6th yet Sky football go straight to reporting on them after the results are read out and it's all about Manure. It's all about Manure and the Jim Ratcliffe revolution.

Dreadful

Yes its sickening the bias towards thst club. 

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

JFC !!!!!

Dreadful

Sadly it is what it is, most of manure fans are armchair fans so of course they are going to report on them.

But sky are all about the big 6. Its mostly the fans of them that tune in, glory hunters, armchair fans (much like MOTD) 

Â