Media and punditry

BOF

Which game would you show first on MOTD?

Crazy 3-2 game with loads of chances for both sides. Winning goal in the last 2 mins. 

Or a boring 1-0 standard win for a top of the table team against a relegation candidate. 

…..

Yep you guessed right.  They chose Liverpool winning 1-0 rather than the 5 goal thriller involving Villa 🙄🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Crazy 3-2 game with loads of chances for both sides. Winning goal in the last 2 mins. 

Or a boring 1-0 standard win for a top of the table team against a relegation candidate. 

…..

Yep you guessed right.  They chose Liverpool winning 1-0 rather than the 5 goal thriller involving Villa 🙄🤦‍♂️

Standard choice from them 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

…..

They scored a controversial winner in the 99th minute! 

Same as last week (and let's be honest next week too...) they go with the biggest headline, Liverpool is a bigger story than us, it is what it is

And another weekly question as to why anyone watches it anymore 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

…..

Unless I'm missing something this seems an unfair comment

Loads of chances for both sides -- applies to the Forest game

Winning goal in the last 2 mins -- applies more to the Forest game than our game!

Forest game also has a hugely controversial decision at the death.

It was a 3pm kickoff so most won't have seen it. I'm all for calling out top six bias but this seems a reasonable decision and honestly I'd rather reward Forest's efforts making it a close game and nearly holding the league leaders by having them on first.

Edited by jayEm
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And another weekly question as to why anyone watches it anymore 

I was out for the day and so only saw the scores a couple of hours ago. So assumed that a 5 goal thriller would be better for MOTD to show. I wouldn’t normally watch the programme. 

1 minute ago, claretman said:

At least they called the awful refereeing out in the Forest game.  Horrific decision to give a drop ball back to Liverpool.  

I thought but was a possible penalty. But to give the drop ball back to Liverpool in such a important game, when it blatently should have been Forests ball, an lead to a goal, is well dodgy. Ref should miss games for that f*** up.

• Like 1

Just now, jayEm said:

Unless I'm missing something this seems an unfair comment

Loads of chances for both sides -- applies to the Forest game

Winning goal in the last 2 mins -- applies more to the Forest game than our game

Forest game also has a hugely controversial decision at the death.

Well I wrote the comment just as MOTD started and knew nothing else about any of the matches apart from the scores (except the Villa match).

Just now, ender4 said:

I was out for the day and so only saw the scores a couple of hours ago. So assumed that a 5 goal thriller would be better for MOTD to show. I wouldn’t normally watch the programme. 

Not sure if they've made yours yet but the games are all on YouTube over here by now 

I dont think they go by goals, they go by story, it's like the news, the controversy in the Liverpool game is a bigger headline than the 5 goals in our game

whether or not they pick spurs over us is something different though, not because of us but because of Luton to be fair to them, palace are an absolute nothing team whereas I think Luton have something about them but are ultimately falling short in good games vs us and utd etc 

Why do you all watch it? The goals are available on YouTube 30 mins after the games. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Why do you all watch it? The goals are available on YouTube 30 mins after the games. 

Or iPlayer tomorrow, just skip through the other games ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Well I wrote the comment just as MOTD started and knew nothing else about any of the matches apart from the scores (except the Villa match).

Ah well if you didn't know what happened in the games I can see why you'd have that reaction

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Where were we out of interest? 

Third I think.

Forest - Pool

Spurs - Palace

Luton - Villa

Everton - WHU

Saudis - Wolves

Fulham - Brighton

Brentford - Chelsea 

The funny thing is, the Forest game was about 30 seconds away from being last in the running (I would imagine). The Brentford game probably featured the best goal of the fixtures, fwiw. Not that that attribute should automatically bump it up, but it was a definite highlight of the show saved towards the end.

You could make a case our game should be ahead of Spurs. Meh I really don’t care, although I do find the consistency in choices (or inconsistency, if you prefer) mildly interesting.

Yeah I'd make a case for Luton being more interesting than Palace but maybe not  this week with the new manager, us or spurs and the way the game played out is splitting hairs 

Did they do anything on Watkins after our game? 

9 hours ago, Xela said:

Personally, I like hearing them talk about games and validating certain decisions.  It's a form of entertainment.

They also show more highlights (generally) than the goals on YouTube - which is a plus.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I'd make a case for Luton being more interesting than Palace but maybe not  this week with the new manager, us or spurs and the way the game played out is splitting hairs 

Did they do anything on Watkins after our game? 

Yes - whole segment.

• Thanks 1

We all need to get it into our heads that programs like MOTD is not for the die hard fan, it's for the casual armchair fan. There could be a 10 goal thriller between West ham and Fulham. A 8 goal thriller between Everton and Wolves

Or there could be a 1-0 for Sheffield Utd vs Manure and a 3-0 win for Liverpool vs Newcastle and 2-1 win for Man City Vs Spurs.

The latter games will always go on 1st.

The 1st would be a huge Story. The 2nd and 3rd game are about the title race.

Most of the viewers of MOTD are scum 6 fans, so they will pander to that narrative. 

Had many a heated discussion at work with Liverpool/Manure/Arsenal Fans. Their take on MoTD, who wants to watch S****y Villa, Wolves, Everton. They want to watch good players... 

These days I tend to avoid talking about football at work as I like the job I do 🤣

• Like 1

Â