Media and punditry

BOF

Everyone's got it in for us and love Newcastle even though Newcastle fans think everyone has got in for them and love United even though United fans think everyone has it in foe them and loves Arsenal even though Arsenal fans think everyone has it in for them and loves Liverpool. 

Who the **** cares.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well only 3 of the top 8 played yesterday so its a bit weird if teams like West Ham or Spurs were mentioned when they didnt move positions

From the bit I saw at the end of MOTD, Spurs were mentioned because “Man Utd’s win takes them to within 3 points of Tottenham who play tomorrow - Wolves move above Newcastle and Brighton into 8th”.

🤷🏻‍♂️

48 minutes ago, bobzy said:

From the bit I saw at the end of MOTD, Spurs were mentioned because “Man Utd’s win takes them to within 3 points of Tottenham who play tomorrow - Wolves move above Newcastle and Brighton into 8th”.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Weird not to mention that spurs play us though,  in what should be the match of the weekend given the relative positions and implications of the result. It probably isn't a conscious ignorance of us,  just a fact that we've been nowhere until the last 14 months and so there's no real wider interest in us.  Have a run of 4 years in the top 6 and we'll be talked about like spurs.

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Weird not to mention that spurs play us though,  in what should be the match of the weekend given the relative positions and implications of the result. It probably isn't a conscious ignorance of us,  just a fact that we've been nowhere until the last 14 months and so there's no real wider interest in us.  Have a run of 4 years in the top 6 and we'll be talked about like spurs.

It’s a summary of the table at the end of the show. There’s nothing weird about it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Liverpool vs City in a top of the table clash is clearly the game of the weekend. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Liverpool vs City in a top of the table clash is clearly the game of the weekend. 

Somehow I'd managed to miss that they were playing 😅. And yes, you're right. But still 4th v 5th also worthy of a mention

I would imagine the game taking place today in Liverpool would occupy the most space in the media’s thoughts.

And just generally they probably feel safer in talking about Spurs in the context of a top four finish because they have a better track record in doing so (or being close to).

I think ultimately those in the media don’t want to look stupid so maybe they want to see if Villa in the top four is a more likely occurrence going forward. This is probably mostly subconscious. They don’t wanna be all like “Hey Newcastle have upset the top six elite!! Howay! Brace yourselves everyone!”. Then next season watch them hang about in ninth and try and pretend they didn’t go over the top. 

I don’t think there is a broad anti-Villa bias. Individual pundits clearly don’t like us, that can’t be argued otherwise. And there is stuff like last season with “the relegation battle” and including Villa who are safely in 11th, but when Chelsea are 11th they’re not included for whatever reason. That sort of stuff is there, how conscious it is, I don’t know. Villa supporters, or any supporters are going to notice and think about these things more than the guy they got to draw up the relegation league table I’d imagine.

On a broader scope, I think the media finds Villa a little bit boring maybe. I don’t think they quite know how to pigeonhole us. For instance Brighton are like the plucky hipsters. As often stated, we’re kinda like Everton but at least with Everton they have a glamorous local rivalry that can add as a showcase while we have a turd occasionally sharing the bill with us.

Ultimately what I’d say is, try not to let any perceived bias bother you. 

And if it doesn’t, but other people complaining about a perceived bias does, try not to let that bother you.

24 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I would imagine the game taking place today in Liverpool would occupy the most space in the media’s thoughts.

And just generally they probably feel safer in talking about Spurs in the context of a top four finish because they have a better track record in doing so (or being close to).

I think ultimately those in the media don’t want to look stupid so maybe they want to see if Villa in the top four is a more likely occurrence going forward. This is probably mostly subconscious. They don’t wanna be all like “Hey Newcastle have upset the top six elite!! Howay! Brace yourselves everyone!”. Then next season watch them hang about in ninth and try and pretend they didn’t go over the top. 

I don’t think there is a broad anti-Villa bias. Individual pundits clearly don’t like us, that can’t be argued otherwise. And there is stuff like last season with “the relegation battle” and including Villa who are safely in 11th, but when Chelsea are 11th they’re not included for whatever reason. That sort of stuff is there, how conscious it is, I don’t know. Villa supporters, or any supporters are going to notice and think about these things more than the guy they got to draw up the relegation league table I’d imagine.

On a broader scope, I think the media finds Villa a little bit boring maybe. I don’t think they quite know how to pigeonhole us. For instance Brighton are like the plucky hipsters. As often stated, we’re kinda like Everton but at least with Everton they have a glamorous local rivalry that can add as a showcase while we have a turd occasionally sharing the bill with us.

Ultimately what I’d say is, try not to let any perceived bias bother you. 

And if it doesn’t, but other people complaining about a perceived bias does, try not to let that bother you.

Well you have been spot on, so far 30 mins speaking about Liverpool, now speaking about Spurs.. we might get a quick 30 second overview 🤣

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It’s a summary of the table at the end of the show. There’s nothing weird about it. 

They'd already shown a trailer for Match of the Day 2, which clearly showed that our game was today. There was no need to specifically mention it. It's not weird in the slightest, this conspiracy theory is absolutely bizarre. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Is the Liverpool vs Manchester City game the World Cup final or something? 

Bigger... 

End of the pep vs klopp era, the people's champions vs the cheats, light vs dark

It's one for the ages 

Ange is the first manager in English football history that his team scored a goal in his first 27 league games

What a bizarre stat for the media to pedal out

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ange is the first manager in English football history that his team scored a goal in his first 27 league games

BIG ANGE MATE

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It would be bizarre if people were treating the odd number 27 as significant in itself, but it's clearly significant because it's one more than the previous record. 

• Like 2

The worst about yesterday is they can now bang on like our form over the last 18 months is some sort of freak fluke and genius Big Ange has outwitted limited Emery etc which pisses me off no end

14 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

The worst about yesterday is they can now bang on like our form over the last 18 months is some sort of freak fluke and genius Big Ange has outwitted limited Emery etc which pisses me off no end

Has anywhere done that though? Seems you’re getting pissed off over some throng you’re creating in your head

16 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Has anywhere done that though? Seems you’re getting pissed off over some throng you’re creating in your head

It's the whole narrative today of how Spurs smashed us, put villa in their place etc, Ange all unliveable etc. anyone would think they were now 15 points clear of us. It wasn't that long ago they were above us and cocked it up. I hope their death run absolutely kills them. And Man U can f off as well

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

There's an article on BBC titled 'How Tottenham's tactics blunted Villa' with a big picture of Ange smiling. Not sure what it actually says though as no intention of giving it a click. We lost 4 nil at home, so not sure we can be upset if they say we lost the tactical battle, we clearly did.

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's the whole narrative today of how Spurs smashed us, put villa in their place etc, Ange all unliveable etc. anyone would think they were now 15 points clear of us. It wasn't that long ago they were above us and cocked it up. I hope their death run absolutely kills them. And Man U can f off as well

I don’t understand what the problem is here.

When we beat Man City, for example, we got a vast amount of praise. We were called the real deal, a genuine top 4 contender and outside title challengers.

Our home record is immense and Spurs have come and hammered us 4-0 (I can’t actually think of a beating we’ve taken at home like that… maybe since the Son hattrick game?). Why wouldn’t they get praise?

• Like 2

Â