Ashley Westwood

Nabby

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Wasn't it the 2006 game against Man City when Cahill and Ridgewell played together and they ripped us apart, Oneill decided he needed that Cahill and Ridgewell wern't up to it.

Once upon a time we bought Martin Laursen.  Laursen then got injured.  It looked for a long time like he was going to stay injured, so we needed another CB. We bought Zat Knight.  Then Laursen became available again.  Now we have a surplus of CBs but Zat had come in for a relatively decent sum.  Bolton asked for Cahill who was still a yoof at this stage.  They offered £5m and we snapped their hands off.  We then had to endure Zat Knight instead of watching Cahill bloom.  Oh well, at least we got to enjoy Laursen.

• Like 1

I thought Zat Knight wasn't that bad for us, and a bargain compared to a lot of MON's signings.  Still I'd rather Cahill stayed.  I think Westwood would be a great signing for a promoted team but I think any manager that takes us over will want to keep him.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Once upon a time we bought Mrtin Laursen.  Laursen then got injured.  It looked for a long time like he was going to stay injured, so we needed another CB. We bought Zat Knight.  Then Laursen became available again.  Now we have a surplus of CBs but Zat had come in for a relatively decent sum.  Bolton asked for Cahill who was still a yoof at this stage.  They offered £5m and we snapped their hands off.  We then had to endure Zat Knight instead of watching Cahill bloom.  Oh well, at least we got to enjoy Laursen.

People wanted MON sacked when he kept getting higher points total each year. I doubt many would have had the patience to watch Cahil bloom under him. 

People wanted MON sacked when he kept getting higher points total each year. I doubt many would have had the patience to watch Cahil bloom under him. 

This is the Cahill who scored THAT goal and the one many fans were furious when he left. We'll disagree on that one so, although I don't doubt there's a certain type of fan too stupid to see what's staring them in the face at the time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

This is the Cahill who scored THAT goal and the one many fans were furious when he left. We'll disagree on that one so, although I don't doubt there's a certain type of fan too stupid to see what's staring them in the face at the time.

Like Lambert being a good manager ;)

13 hours ago, BOF said:

Once upon a time we bought Martin Laursen.  Laursen then got injured.  It looked for a long time like he was going to stay injured, so we needed another CB. We bought Zat Knight.  Then Laursen became available again.  Now we have a surplus of CBs but Zat had come in for a relatively decent sum.  Bolton asked for Cahill who was still a yoof at this stage.  They offered £5m and we snapped their hands off.  We then had to endure Zat Knight instead of watching Cahill bloom.  Oh well, at least we got to enjoy Laursen.

Laursen got fit near the end of 2006/07 season and we still got rid of Cahill for Davies. Zat Knight was brought in regardless and did a good job when called upon. We have had a lot worse defenders this season than Zat before comparing against others ;) 

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

In the post above, Zat was being compared with Cahill but I think you knew that. Your username just got in the way ;)

yeah but Davies was bought to replace Cahill in squad not Knight

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

yeah but Davies was bought to replace Cahill in squad not Knight

It was a mistake to sell Cahil but he is still average at best and shows how poor England are at the back that he is even in he squad let alone first choice 

Oh what we would not give to have average CB's...

Edit: All this talk about Cahill, poor Westwood i nowhere to be found even in his own thread on VT.

Fitting I guess...

Edited by sne

Cahill wasn't ready for our 1st team when he was sold, bags of potential and a good squad player, but not a 1st choice defender for a team pushing for the CL, he'd been on loan a few times and wouldn't go again IIRC, a "play me or sell me" deal, so we sold him for the good of his career, I don't think he'd be the defender he is today if he'd stayed

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BOF said:

Cahil had great moments but at that age I don't think he was good enough to play regular for a team challenging for top 4. That's why he ended up at Bolton instead of a top club. 

Fans were furious, but I'd imagine as like I say, they wanted him sacked for finishing 6th, they'd have been furious had we finished lower while waiting for Cahil to bloom. 

Not sure what your last point is on about.  

I don't recall any fans being happy at the sale of Cahill, we all knew Zat Knight wasn't better than him even though Cahill was still a youth player. Davies cost twice as much and was a similar age. In my mind its the most ridiculous thing MON did - along with buying Heskey when we were crying out for a proper striker.