Ashley Westwood

Nabby

personally, i wouldn't sell him for 6 mil because he still has a role to play in the championship. Maybe if we get promoted then I'd possibly look to shift him, but i wouldn't shift him before some of our other midfielders 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

May I ask why not?He's been at the club for 4 years now, I've always rated him

I'm not sure why being at the club for 4 years adds anything. He has his moments and is a decent passer. But he's not an excellent player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure why being at the club for 4 years adds anything. He has his moments and is a decent passer. But he's not an excellent player. 

When he first came to the club, he was just a player with an awful lot of potential, now if he leaves, he can realise that potential :)

• Like 1

When he first came to the club, he was just a player with an awful lot of potential, now if he leaves, he can realise that potential :)

I don't think there's much potential. I think he is what he is. He may improve after moving but I don't really care. I've seen enough to know he's not the type of player that's going to move this club forward. 

• Like 1

An awful lot of potential? Really?

Also, if he's yet to realise it, how is he an excellent player?

Stop contradicting yourself and let's all say as one 'ashley westwood is shite' ;)

1 hour ago, useless said:

Being able to pass the ball to his teammates being available to receive the ball from his teams, keept hings ticking along, and being an alround reliable player. We need his or if at all possible a better version's composure in the middle of the park.

joking aside i don't mind Westwood, he is tidy and rarely does anything wrong, but then again he rarely does anything of note. He doesn't tackle well, his long range passing and forward creativity is average, so are his set pieces. He did at one point show signs like he was starting to improve and become a decent player, but that never really quite happened and i'd argue he's gone backwards, but then again so has almost the entire squad.

he's not a player i would look to sell, i don't think he is part of the cancer that has riddled this great club, but for 6 mil it's hard to say no.

• Like 2

£6m isnt enough IMO 

comapre him to Tomkins (not sure if palace have bought him in as a CB or a DMC) Westwood has played more games and in a bigger role for us  I think both are bang average on a good day

add to that the risk of selling him, we won't have passed judgement on Gardner or Stan yet, we have this supposed Gana release clause, we sell westwood decide those 2 aren't good enough and lose Gana, we go in to next season with veretout, Sanchez and lyden...

i don't actually have that much against Westwood, he's not that bad, he's just kind of pointless, usually playing in a midfield with another pointless player be it veretout or Sanchez, I think a midfield of Westwood, Gana and a good creative central midfielder could actually work, expecting us to have a lot of possession next year

• Like 2

Will be sad to see him go. Every team is made up of a number of different types of player and from my eye he is a very competent player and as others have said keeps possession well and the team ticking over. Never one to be shouted about but very good at what he does.

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

£6m isnt enough IMO 

comapre him to Tomkins (not sure if palace have bought him in as a CB or a DMC) Westwood has played more games and in a bigger role for us  I think both are bang average on a good day

Tomkins played 250 game for West Ham most of them in Premier League. has he even played a game in defensive midfield, always a centre back or odd game at full back

41 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

May I ask why not? He's been at the club for 4 years now, I've always rated him

He's not good at tackling, he doesn't score goals, he doesn't get many assists. He is quite decent at mid-range passing, though they're rarely particularly meaningful. 

His main talent is the accumulation of cliches, such as 'tidy', 'keeps things ticking over' etc, which largely seem to be synonyms for 'I like him but I can't quite pinpoint why' from where I'm sitting. 

£6m isn't that low, really. He's a player with 100 PL games, sure, but probably less than 20 wins and before four very hard years with us he was playing in League One. Burnley are bidding for a hard worker, but he'll likely only be a squad player and I just don't think he's worth much more than that. 

• Like 1

Would be one of our better midfielders in the Championship, but for £6m we could probably upgrade and add the experience and steel that Westwood lacks.

I like him, but I'd take that offer.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

£6m isnt enough IMO 

We're a Championship club, whereas West Ham are not. That alone makes comparing those two fees pretty pointless. West Ham wouldn't have got anywhere near £10m in our situation.

Considering RDM has already stated that the squad is too big, and we've got Gardner, Petrov and potentially the lad from Reading coming into the squad (not to mention any further signings in his position) I think its very hard to turn a good offer like this down.

Yes i think he'd probably do very well at this level, but i also think RDM needs to stamp his own identity on the team therefore letting players like Westwood go fits into that way of thinking.

Decent player but i think if we want to improve its probably a good deal for us.