Ashley Westwood

Nabby

On 25 April 2016 at 13:15, a m ole said:

I would find it funny if Mr 'not even league 1 standard' is still playing in the premier league next season.

Along with Cahill, Albrighton, Davis and possibly Lowton and  Bannan. 

All of them in one way shape or form, deemed not good enough for us. 

Two of them will have won the league :crylaugh:

Edited by wazzap24
Forgot one

People were just blindly supporting MON when Cahill left, we could all see deep down he was going to be a quality player and much better than Knight and Davies.

Bannan is very good in the championship, could he step up and do the same in the prem, I have my doubts as remember he barely got a kick at Palace. Could well have a Peter Whittingham career.

The only thing I'd say on Davis and Albrighton, it's not like they went away and immediately set the world on fire, Albrighton couldn't get in the Leicester team for most of last season.

Westwood would be no loss, I've said before I believe Gary Gardner coming back is capable of doing his job given he's been playing well week in week out for Forest in that position.

• Like 1

Davis and Bannan and even Lowton made sense at the time we let them go. Particularly Bannan. He was consistently shite at this level.

Cahill and Albrighton made less sense.

• Like 1

Davis and Bannan and even Lowton made sense at the time we let them go. Particularly Bannan. He was consistently shite at this level.

Cahill and Albrighton made less sense.

Cahill made no sense, albrighton IMO looked great every time he got a sniff but got "injured" in the same way as Grealish under garde, sat next to his box for a game! chatted to him! watched him jumping about when we scored, he wasn't injured, he needed to be cut lose to reinvigorate his career

Bannan doing well now I think you could maybe probably male some sort of link between what some of the yoof suggested about the drinking here and his smash and losing his licence and say 2+2= he was enjoying himself here a bit too much and cutting him loose has benefitted him too, he was so lightweight and ineffective in our McLeish midfield

Lawton iirc was his missus, I always thought he was a good player, think if we had him now in the set up where Hutton is our best attacking player ( :( but it's true) he's a better crosser that's for sure, but he had a newborn and was living in Sheffield

Davis I can't remember why he left tbh

But that's 3 of them where it was something off the field that was going on, we're **** rotten

• Like 1

I think people forget the position we were in when some of these players left. 

We were challenging for top 4 and cahil was not at the level to be playing week in week out. My understanding was that he wanted regular first team football so we didn't stand in his way.

Similar with Davis, he wasn't good enough for first team football at that point. It's no surprise to see the teams they dropped down to at first. 

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think people forget the position we were in when some of these players left. 

We were challenging for top 4 and cahil was not at the level to be playing week in week out. My understanding was that he wanted regular first team football so we didn't stand in his way.

Similar with Davis, he wasn't good enough for first team football at that point. It's no surprise to see the teams they dropped down to at first. 

I seem to remember (whether correctly or not) that we essentially chose to hold on to Ridgewell over Cahill.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I seem to remember (whether correctly or not) that we essentially chose to hold on to Ridgewell over Cahill.

But I'm sure it was down to Cahil being frustrated at not playing rather than us deciding he'd never be good enough

I think he'd had a good loan spell and was desperate to keep playing first team football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

But I'm sure it was down to Cahil being frustrated at not playing rather than us deciding he'd never be good enough

I think he'd had a good loan spell and was desperate to keep playing first team football.

I think it was more O'neill not being able to see a bloody good player in front of him. He used the money to buy Zat Knight for Christs sake. All in all, an appalling piece of business by Villa. We've had a few more since then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

I seem to remember (whether correctly or not) that we essentially chose to hold on to Ridgewell over Cahill.

Ridgewell went 6 months before Cahill, it was Knight and Davies we signed and pushed Cahill out of picture. Cahill next to Laursen could have been brilliant

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ridgewell went 6 months before Cahill, it was Knight and Davies we signed and pushed Cahill out of picture. Cahill next to Laursen could have been brilliant

We were just silly, then.  (Although I vaguely remember thinking "at least we got £6m for him" - how wrong was I :D).

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Wasn't it the 2006 game against Man City when Cahill and Ridgewell played together and they ripped us apart, Oneill decided he needed that Cahill and Ridgewell wern't up to it.

Some revision going on here ?

Cahill left because he wanted to play, he didn't accept the Managers word, (doesn't matter whether we/he agreed with MONS view) so we rightly got rid of him.  More of that approach since and we would be a lot better off.

But as for Westwood, I just don't think he is one of those we should let go.  Lets say we can get rid of, what, 8 ? 10 ?  Not much more than that.

Well there are 10 worse than Westwood.

Though he is pretty ordinary to say the least lol.

Edited by terrytini