Ashley Westwood

Nabby

1 hour ago, Risso said:

He does nothing well, his form has been dismal this season, and he hasn't exactly pulled up any trees any of the time he's been here.

Again I disagree. His form has been quite poor this season but so has everyone else's. I think he'll be a useful player in the Championship although shouldn't be a starter when/if we come back up.

• Like 1

The way I look at it is if it was Bacuna for example who had just scored 2 - would I want us to keep him? No

If it was Sanchez who had just scored 2 - would I want us to keep him? No

Same applies to Westwood. He's been poor all season and it is too little too late. When it mattered he was nowhere to be seen (like most of the rest of them)

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 3

I'm sure I heard whilst watching it, that was his 1st goal in 69games....absolutely an appalling record for a midfielder 

Correct.

Appalling.

• Like 1

Took both of his goals well today. I know he hadn't scored in a long time, but he has had quite a few good shots saved by the keeper during that time, it's not like he has always blasted them high and wide in Gana style.

Still rubbish, still won't be good enough for the championship and if he plays defensive midfielder next season we'll most likely be in a relegation scrap. I don't like him as a footballer, he's too timid and cowardly for me; never takes responsibility and most of all he's just not very good. 

I really disagree with the 'he's a model professional' just because he doesn't rub it in our faces like the other plums; he hasn't improved in 4 years, hasn't tried to learn a defensive side of his game. Watch him play he's always pointing at someone else to pick up the players all whilst he's on no one and not following any runners.

He's one of the senior players now and I don't think he's a decent role model, he's been a huge part of the decline of our club.

But fair play to him today, took the goals well by all accounts.

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

His form has been quite poor this season but so has everyone else's.

Seriously whether the debate is westwood or any other player, Wtf has this point got to do with it?

So what if everyone else has been shite.

He's been shite, because he is.....shite.

And has been for 4 years.

54 minutes ago, poitier said:

Took both of his goals well today. I know he hadn't scored in a long time, but he has had quite a few good shots saved by the keeper during that time, it's not like he has always blasted them high and wide in Gana style.

That is exactly what he does.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Seriously whether the debate is westwood or any other player, Wtf has this point got to do with it?

So what if everyone else has been shite.

He's been shite, because he is.....shite.

And has been for 4 years.

I don't believe he is shit. And it's relevant because naturally players bring each other down. Everyone's been poor this season but I don't believe every player is poor as individuals (most are though).

• Like 1

He is shit though, like really shit. The amount of times ive watched one of his corners or freekicks in disbelief is well into the hundreds. Absolutely rage inducing at times. Get the **** ball into the air and into the box Ashley its not that **** hard.

One of the few times I've noticed him all season. To be charitable, at least he cares, you could tell by his reaction at the final whistle last week and today he played OK, tried and looked gutted when he scored. In terms of my personal list of Villa players I hate, he's near the bottom. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

Nothing personal on Westwood, think he genuinely cares and probably lives somewhat a professional lifestyle. He's just never been good enough for us. His level currently is probably as a starter in a top league 1 team or a squad player in Upper mid table championship team. He's been a regular for years now for us.

For a while he was showing improvement defensively. His performance in the semi-final vs. Liverpool last season was outstanding, he made several game-saving blocks. No one could accuse him of hiding that day. But I agree those performances have been too few and far between in the main, and this season's been a step backwards for him. I still like him and think he'll be a good option in the Championship. I'd like to see him focus on improving his attacking play, I just don't think he's big or strong enough to do the work we need defensively.

• Like 1