Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Unsurprisingly, clubs are sniffing around our better players. 

Don't think we can turn down £6m for Westwood, but he really isn't the type of player we need to be shifting first off. 

• Like 1

If we sell him he'll need replacing because we don't really have another player in his style. I'd try and get more money out of Burnley. Because when it does come to replacing him you can be sure that clubs will be over-charging us.

for me the one reason he has to go though not exactly his fault, he is synonymous of the failure our club has been through in last 4 years and fact he was ever-present in that time means letting him go will indicate a complete fresh start for the club

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If we sell him he'll need replacing because we don't really have another player in his style. I'd try and get more money out of Burnley. Because when it does come to replacing him you can be sure that clubs will be over-charging us.

Just out of curiosity, what is his style of play?

Being able to pass the ball to his teammates being available to receive the ball from his teams, keept hings ticking along, and being an alround reliable player. We need his or if at all possible a better version's composure in the middle of the park.

• Like 1

Well he's a safe player isn't he? Keeps things ticking. Not spectacular, but does what he's supposed to do.

Unfortunately for him that means that because he isn't scoring 30 yard screamers or hitting 50 yard cross field passes every time he gets the ball then generally he is one of the first players to get criticised by the fans 'for doing nothing' when the team is playing badly. On the flipside of that, it's often players like him that receive a high amount of praise when the team is playing well. Fickle old game isn't it?

I like Westwood and think he would be a good player especially at this level, but £6 million is a fair price and probably not one worth turning down (unless we think we can squeeze a bit more out of them).

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Being able to pass the ball to his teammates being available to receive the ball from his teams, keept hings ticking along, and being an alround reliable player. We need his or if at all possible a better version's composure in the middle of the park.

Fair enough, but for me those are the basic things all midfielder must be able to do, at any level.

For me he is a player that any functioning midfield can't afford to carry as he just offers to little and disappears from games too often.

He covers a lot of ground, but is often in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hence the running.

I don't dislike him, I just don't rate him. At all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Fair enough, but for me those are the basic things all midfielder must be able to do, at any level.

For me he is a player that any functioning midfield can't afford to carry as he just offers to little and disappears from games too often.

He covers a lot of ground, but is often in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hence the running.

I don't dislike him, I just don't rate him. At all.

Carlos Sanchez is a World Cup Quarter Finalist and he can barely make a 5 yard pass without tangling his legs up. :D

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Would be sorry to see him go, I know I'd be in a small minority.

I agree. Poor last season but was surrounded by utter dross. With the right players around him I reckon he can do a decent job in the Championship. As one of our English contingent who wasn't a total knobhead there are loads I would want to leave ahead of him.

Anyway, I reckon Burnley will struggle to match his £100k a week salary.

2 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

Carlos Sanchez is a World Cup Quarter Finalist and he can barely make a 5 yard pass without tangling his legs up. :D

Too true, and it shows when he's back here, not surrounded by world class players, and asked to do more than just man mark and protect the back 4 just how limited he is.