Ashley Westwood

Nabby

We should be selling quite a few midfielders before we get to Westwood. Sanchez for a start or Gana who doesn't want to be here or Veretout who's shown next to nothing.

Everyone is replaceable or can be improved on but we have significantly bigger problems than Westwood. I'd prefer him as a squad player than the other midfielders mentioned, so unless we are selling them all, he should stay in my opinion. His work ethic will be far more value to us than a sulking Gana, Veretout or useless Sanchez.

• Like 4

He would be a real asset in the Championship. We just bought a midfielder who made 12 appearances for the same price. Him and Gary Gardner are in the upper bracket of Championship midfielders, and unless we have a better replacement lined up, I'd rather keep him. He's also pretty experienced now too which includes lower league experience so that's another plus.

• Like 1

Could go either way on this one. Isn't one of the first players I'd want to see out of the squad but at the same time if we can get a decent price for him and he wants to play Premier League it's probably win/win.

I am happy for Westwood to go. Especially at that price. However.. we have at LEAST 5-6 others who SHOULD be going before him. 

It will also depend on who comes in i guess. RDM may get the best out of Westwood again.. who knows. 

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To those saying that others should be going before him, it doesn't work like that. If RDM thinks he is replaceable then see ya later, you don't turn down a good offer like that for a player you don't want on the off chance you are able to shift somebody else first. It's not a linear process.

Sell Westwood today and Sanchez next week, bring in the players you want to replace them with players you want when you can. It's all about getting the job done, in whatever order. 

yeah i understand that.. but you dont want to be left with the garbage as depth. I would prefer RDM play his preferred signings and have Westwood as cover instead of say someone like Bacuna. As i said in my post.. happy for him to go as i never rated him anyway. 6 million is a rip off. Prefer to gamble on the Reading chap with that money. 

11 minutes ago, KSV said:

yeah i understand that.. but you dont want to be left with the garbage as depth. I would prefer RDM play his preferred signings and have Westwood as cover instead of say someone like Bacuna. As i said in my post.. happy for him to go as i never rated him anyway. 6 million is a rip off. Prefer to gamble on the Reading chap with that money. 

Sure, if we only do half a job of it then it's a problem. 

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Problem is you need interested parties in the others first. I think ask for 8-10m tbh

Well no, you don't, that's my point. You don't put everything on hold while you try and shift players in order like dominoes. 

24 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well no, you don't, that's my point. You don't put everything on hold while you try and shift players in order like dominoes. 

You misunderstood my point I was saying to the above posters who were saying we should be looking to sell veretout and gana before westwood, you need interest in them first before you could sell any of them ahead of westwood :) if a bid comes in thats decent for westwood we should sell for sure. definitely replaceable in my eyes

• Like 1

Exactly. We are not desperate to sell Westwood, AND he has 4 years left on his contract.

I ask for 10m, especially from a Premier League team who are getting some of that TV revenue.

22 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I wish people would realise that £6m isn't a large fee any more it's not even a medium one.

It is for shit players 

• Like 1

The Stoke Sentinel (I know, I know ...) are reporting that Crewe are 'set for a windfall' if Westwood goes to Burnley because, you guessed it, there is a sell-on clause.  They even think it might be more than the usual 10-15% owing to the low original purchase price.  We could be giving up to £1m of the £6m over to Alexandra.  I don't begrudge them at all.  I think Crewe are a wonderful club and I think development clubs should be getting this kind of benefit.  But they should get it ALL the time.  Not just from us, dagnammit :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KSV said:

I am happy for Westwood to go. Especially at that price. However.. we have at LEAST 5-6 others who SHOULD be going before him. 

It will also depend on who comes in i guess. RDM may get the best out of Westwood again.. who knows. 

The best out of him "again"?

its almost like you're suggesting he used to be good?

• Like 1