Ashley Westwood

Nabby

If we want to go from being a very very poor team, to being a simply mediocre team, then keep him. If we want to progress to be a good team, then  get rid of him, along with quite a few others. 69 games since his previous goal. He just aint good enough for where we want and need to be. 

If we want to go from being a very very poor team, to being a simply mediocre team, then keep him. If we want to progress to be a good team, then  get rid of him, along with quite a few others. 69 games since his previous goal. He just aint good enough for where we want and need to be. 

But with it looking like we could reasonably lose 12 players from the first team this summer, why would the hard-working, level headed, average talent of Ashley Westwood be someone we are looking to be shot of? With everything else going off like bombshells around him, he has at least proven he can be depended on when others are only capable of sixty yard hooked backpasses to Shane Long.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't think he is good enough.

but because he is one that gives a shit......He might be one of the last I would move on.

sounds paradoxical, but the attitude has become a major factor.

36 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

He's dogshit. Scoring two goals doesn't change that. Get rid.

I agree with both of these posts at the same time. 

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

The 'debate' here really needs to move away from 'he's worst ever player' vs 'he's good' to a question of priorities. There are a number of posters on this thread who almost have a personal grudge against Westwood because of what they believe he represents - an ever present in our decline. 

However my argument is to move away from trying to quantify how good or bad he is but to ask a simple question; do Guzan, Lescott, Richards, Bacuna, Richardson, Agbonlahor, Sanchez or Sinclair (in particular) add any more to our first team squad than Westwood does? Or do they have more potential than Westwood does? Or do they have a better work ethic than Westwood does? Is he on a ridiculous wage? If the answer is largely no, then why are some so focused on him?! There are loads of other issues to sort before Westwood.

Of course every player can be improved on, but Westwood doesn't even feature on most fans priorities. Unless of course you're equally anti all the above players (personally I'd add Gana, Veretout and Gestede to the above list) and post equally on all their threads too.

We know the team is awful, but forgetting how awful you believe Westwood is I can't understand anyone considering him worse than the group of players mentioned. I don't even need to say Westwood is good, just that he really isn't the priority at the moment. 

I think this post is about where I'm at. Basically I'd be quite happy to move Westwood on, but there are 15 to 20 players I'd be focused on moving before I got to him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Top logic that. Burnley, a probable PL team next year, want him and he should be kicked out of the door?

One of the last I'd sell for attitude alone.

I don't care what Burnley think or do. They're not my team. If they want to build a team for the Premiership by buying failures from the Premiership, then that's their mistake to make. He's the first we might actually be able to move out. Hopefully he wont be the last. But it would be a start.

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

I don't care what Burnley think or do. They're not my team. If they want to build a team for the Premiership by buying failures from the Premiership, then that's their mistake to make. He's the first we might actually be able to move out. Hopefully he wont be the last. But it would be a start.

Westwood is a sellable asset, whereas I can't see some of our players even being wanted.  To that end, he'll likely be moved on.

Would rather keep hold of him but I doubt he could turn down a move to someone like Burnley.  Quite incredible really.

He would be down the list on my clear out list.  He isn't prem standard, i hate his corners and people dance past him, but lets face it we cant let everyone go.  Alot of other players who are worse to get rid of first.  He might do a job against the likes of Rotherham or Bristol City.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

He would be down the list on my clear out list.  He isn't prem standard, i hate his corners and people dance past him, but lets face it we cant let everyone go.  Alot of other players who are worse to get rid of first.  He might do a job against the likes of Rotherham or Bristol City.

Exactly, plus if we let everyone go then we're basically in the same situation as this fall. A brand new team that haven't played with each other. Could just as well be a similar disaster to this year.

He is like a bag of salt and vinegar crisps.

He will sit in the cupboard for a couple of months doing nothing, if someone ate them you wouldn't be too bothered but you will be happy to keep them there as one day you will have to make do and eat the bastards when it's 1 am and you're starving.

A ringing endorsement I am sure you can all agree.

• Like 3