Ashley Westwood

Nabby

First of all. This thread is insane. I think Westwood would be good for us in the Championship. IF he wasn't part of the losing mentality we have established at the club the last years. For that reason I wouldn't want him near our squad. Can we offload him we should.

4 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I would keep him, he knows how big this club is having come from Crewe, he cares about the club and would be good for the dressing room. He would be a good solid player in the Championship. 

But sadly and despite all that he happens to be a quite awful footballer. For Christ sake just get rid!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I only occasionally pop in this thread this days, it's become so ridiculously polarized and for the life of me I don't understand the hatred towards him. What's even more unusual is this is the only Player thread that doesn't echo what I hear week in, week out at Villa Park. We all hate Lescott, we all like Ayew but I don't hear any hatred towards Westwood.

I don't think anyone is saying he's world class or anything. But of the absolute drivel we put out every week he comes so much further down the list than others. With the current squad, I personally think he has to start. Sanchez is a liability, Veretout and Gana never have a good game on the same day, youngsters have shown very little and Westwood is solid enough.

Could he be replaced? Of course he could. But I'd rather find replacements for Guzan, Hutton, Bacuna, Lescott, Sanchez, Richardson and Gestede first. Westwood joins the group of Cissokho, Richards, Clark, Sinclair, Veretout etc that could easily be improved on but aren't walking disasters with bad attitudes. They're just limited.

So why the hatred? He's been picked by a majority of managers, he works hard, he's never been caught in a controversy, he's made less mistakes than a lot of players and he gives the impression he's loyal and actually cares.

I just don't get the strength of negative feelings towards him that is only really found on Villatalk. He might not be good enough for Villa, but he's a mile more reliable and effective than at least half the squad so I'm not sure why some single him out. 

That's because people don't notice he's there on match days.

Fwiw I think hate is a too strong word. Most poster just don't rate him and the over the top responses usually comes after yet another loss (you'll find this in every player thread).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meregreen said:

He's a mediocrity. one of a few at our club. Needs to be shifted out. 

If he is genuinely mediocre, then sadly that makes him one of our better players. As has been said, there are many others that need to be shifted first.

Edited by TheStagMan

Yep I think in the Championship he woudl be good just sat in front of the defence as an outlet for them who can keep the ball. We will be playing sides who give the ball away more than the teams we've been failing against in the prem, so having someone who can keep it is a good thing.

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yep I think in the Championship he woudl be good just sat in front of the defence as an outlet for them who can keep the ball. We will be playing sides who give the ball away more than the teams we've been failing against in the prem, so having someone who can keep it is a good thing.

Possibly, but that still means that other players will have to do all the defending, all the creative stuff and all the attacking.

What does he actually bring to the team? Tidy with the ball (when not pressured) and good for making short passes. That's not enough to warrant a starting spot. He's literally the middleman, taking 10% of any deal made, but is he needed?

His positioning is awful, that wont change in the Championship. He can't really tackle and is a bit weak, that won't change in the Championship.

He's imo not skilled enough to work in a 2 man central midfield, but possibly in a 3 man midfield as long as the other 2 are solely focused on defense (Gana?) and creativity (Grealish?) 

• Like 1

just curious, has anyone seen/heard any interview with westwood on his opinion of the teams current performance and where this club is heading?

otherwise, how do we know he cares about this club and wants to stay? for all we know, he could just be keeping his head down in the hope of a bigger club comes in for him...

ye, i made myself laugh just then as well.

• Like 2

the way I see it is most of hate that comes towards Westwood is that he has been a consistent starter in one of the worst teams in clubs history and dont just mean this season

FWIW I dont hate him personally he is just a crap footballer who I would be happy to never see in a Villa jersey again

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

just curious, has anyone seen/heard any interview with westwood on his opinion of the teams current performance and where this club is heading?

otherwise, how do we know he cares about this club and wants to stay? for all we know, he could just be keeping his head down in the hope of a bigger club comes in for him...

ye, i made myself laugh just then as well.

Some quotes somewhere that he found it difficult watching MOTD with his Son this season due to the games.

Personally to me he's not some sort of difference maker to us going up or not like say Ayew is.

I'd get rid for a couple of million as think Gardner could do his job no problem given he starts week in week out currently at championship level and does fine.

If he is as good as some of you on here seem to think, then he won't be here next season, someone in the Prem would have bought him..........i would be absolutely amazed if we get any money for him, but i hope we do.

For me, he is the epitome of the reason why we are where we are.He is a defensive midfielder who does'nt know how to play that role, nor does anybody else at the club by the way, he is an average passer, who does'nt score goals, does'nt create, is not quick, and not physical.In fact bang average, like Clark, Like nearly every player in the squad.We need to start again, and the likes of Gabby, Westwood, and Clark should all be moved on, good luck to them, but none of them should have been 1st team players, and that is why where we are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

the way I see it is most of hate that comes towards Westwood is that he has been a consistent starter in one of the worst teams in clubs history and dont just mean this season

FWIW I dont hate him personally he is just a crap footballer who I would be happy to never see in a Villa jersey again

He's not a crap footballer, technically he's sound, can control and pass a ball reliably even if it's only 5 yards.

Last season we finished the year by having a balanced midfield for the first time in years....Westwood would sit and distribute the ball and get our play going, d*lph would help him out and add pace and mobility and Cleverley was the one breaking into the box.

I think D*lph leaving really hurt Westwood's game as he has to do some of the stuff D*lph did and he's simply not capable of that. That and Gana and particularly Veretout not really settling and making much impact means our midfield is piss poor again and sadly Westwood is a week in week out starter so most of the stick is going to be directed at him.

• Like 3

The other point on Westwood for me is, he's had to try and 'develop' during one of the worst periods in our modern history. 

Brought in on a shoestring, expected to make a huge step up, at a young age and in a complete shambles of a team. 

Same for the likes of Clarke, Baker and Okore - all young players, who need good coaching and good players around them. They have had neither, yet we expect them get better and improve? How does that work then? 

Westwood is part of a young(ish) group that I think with the right coaching and the right atmosphere, could still turn out to be decent for us, 

• Like 4

Personally I would keep him and see how he performs under the new manager and coaching structure. That position applies to many of our under performers. If he then can't deliver better performances I would then look to move him on. I'm of the opinion that we have serious deficiencies in how we coach players. Someone needs to work with Westwood because I am of the opinion there is a better footballer in there.

There is a huge amount of completely unnecessary vitriol on this thread which very much reminds me of the Albrighton thread and look what happened to him with some proper coaching to deal with his development needs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Personally I would keep him and see how he performs under the new manager and coaching structure. That position applies to many of our under performers. 

I'm at the polar opposite of this opinion.

Imo the only way we'll have any chance to improve is to get rid of these players. Giving them another go is a season wasted.

• Like 3

By all accounts Lowton has had a decent season at Burnley and I'd probably feel more comfortable with him at right back next season than any of our options.  I see Westwood similarly, both players were effectively having to punch above their weight in the Prem but I think Ash would do a decent job next season and I'm sure whoever comes in as manager will value him.  Even with the shambles this season, a bit of continuity is needed and as far as I'm aware Westwood's attitude has always been good.