Ashley Westwood

Nabby

29 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm at the polar opposite of this opinion.

Imo the only way we'll have any chance to improve is to get rid of these players. Giving them another go is a season wasted.

If you honestly think we will be able to replace 'these players' (assuming you mean most of them), with better players, by spending less money, in a lower league and offering lower wages than the 'poverty prem' budget we had this year - it's going to be a summer (and subsequent season) of disappointment. 

Proper management, proper coaching and half a dozen ins and outs is what's required. 

Replacing Westwood, shouldn't even be in the new guys top 10 'to do list' when he arrives. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Uppernorthstander said:

At the moment we are mediocre club.... So he fits quite nicely 

Mediocre is a distant dream at the moment! 

I long for the day we can once again stand proudly and call ourselves mediocre. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

If you honestly think we will be able to replace 'these players' (assuming you mean most of them), with better players, by spending less money, in a lower league and offering lower wages than the 'poverty prem' budget we had this year - it's going to be a summer (and subsequent season) of disappointment. 

Proper management, proper coaching and half a dozen ins and outs is what's required. 

Replacing Westwood, shouldn't even be in the new guys top 10 'to do list' when he arrives. 

Of course it will be a summer of disappointment.

Getting rid of Gabby, Sinclair, Lescott, Guzan, (N'Zogbia) Richards, Richardson, Hutton, Sanchez is a must as they are all on PL wages but offering very little if anything in return.

Westwood is on a bit lower wages but offering just as little on the field, fair enough if you think he'll be a better player under another manager, I don't

Edited by sne

I don't think it's a certainty SNE (that he would be better under another manager), but I don't see him as being anywhere near as bad or as 'toxic' as the others you mention (Hutton and Sanchez aside). 

I'd give Westwood more leeway when it comes to the initial cull and see what he could do in a decent, motivated side with good coaching. 

Bad apples out first, build a team of motivated and committed players - then start upgrading the Westwoods of the world when things are on a solid foundation. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's not a crap footballer, technically he's sound, can control and pass a ball reliably even if it's only 5 yards.

Last season we finished the year by having a balanced midfield for the first time in years....Westwood would sit and distribute the ball and get our play going, d*lph would help him out and add pace and mobility and Cleverley was the one breaking into the box.

I think D*lph leaving really hurt Westwood's game as he has to do some of the stuff D*lph did and he's simply not capable of that. That and Gana and particularly Veretout not really settling and making much impact means our midfield is piss poor again and sadly Westwood is a week in week out starter so most of the stick is going to be directed at him.

Can't argue with that.

On 15 April 2016 at 09:56, samjp26 said:

The one thing I can say good about Westwood is that he seems to genuinely care and enjoy being here, although rightly so, he got a move to one of the biggest clubs in England after all. Maybe after some of the bad eggs are taken out he'll hit a bit of form in the Championship, however I don't think he is a Premier League player.

The last bit negates the first bit for me.

I want players we are happy to have as opposed to them being happy to be with us.

The two situations tend to take on, quite a different reaction on the pitch.

however we could have both.

I just happen to think we have too many who are happy to be with us, but don't deserve to be.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

It depends on his salary, he's a very ineffective and often invisible player contributing very little that's positive. I'm sure we could pick someone up to do that for half of his salary (assuming he's on £30k+ a week). 

We're so broke we're trying to save money on our scapegoats

On 4/15/2016 at 09:53, Stevo985 said:

No. It's not a particularly good attribute unless you do anything when you get there. I could work hard on the pitch for Villa but I wouldn't be any good.

Indeed, for someone who covers a fair amount of ground each game he is such a non-presence, having virtually no influence over any game he plays. He really offers nothing at this level, and although I think he could be decent in the Championship, he has been a key part of the malaise here, being a regular in some of our worst ever premier league years. It would be best for both parties if he were to leave. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It depends on his salary, he's a very ineffective and often invisible player contributing very little that's positive. I'm sure we could pick someone up to do that for half of his salary (assuming he's on £30k+ a week). 

Think Gardner could do his role no problem next season and probably chip in with a few more goals.

I'm guessing he's on about 15-20k here so much cheaper than Westwood.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Looked genuinely gutted at the final whistle - more so than the likes of Bacuna et al.

I know he's much maligned on here but my brother ooops I mean Westie is not one of the villains of this season.

;)

Can't disagree with that SNE really, the loses of Delph and Cleverley were more impactive than many originally imagined.

I like Gana and Westwood individually but neither are good enough to be a 2 man central midfield.

Sadly, the likes of Sanchez and Veretout weren't good enough either to make a decent 3 man midfield.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Looked genuinely gutted at the final whistle - more so than the likes of Bacuna et al.

I know he's much maligned on here but Westwood is not one of the villains of this season.

Probably thinking about that relegation wage reduction clause...

• Like 1