Ashley Westwood

Nabby

To be fair to him, as shit as he's been, Westwood covers more ground than anyone on the team, so whether he works hard enough or not, he certainly works harder than the rest of the jokers in the team.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair to him, as shit as he's been, Westwood covers more ground than anyone on the team, so whether he works hard enough or not, he certainly works harder than the rest of the jokers in the team.

Surely as centre mid, covering ground is your job?

I would imagine being a cm means he should be covering more than others. 

The ground he covers doesn't make up for his weak tackling and zero impact on the game. 

He's not the worst player. He's just been around the longest performing poorly. Totally sick of seeing him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I would imagine being a cm means he should be covering more than others. 

The ground he covers doesn't make up for his weak tackling and zero impact on the game. 

I agree. it doesn't make up for that. I never claimed it did.

I merely offered up the stat that he covers more ground than anyone else on the team. Including any of the other CMs.

None of this makes up for him having a terrible season. 

• Like 2

Do CM cover the most ground typically? It does seem that way.

I have come to conclusion that in all honestly, playing CM you can cover a lot of ground just jogging back and forth really not doing an awful lot.. He doesn't seem to be working his bollocks off to me.

• Like 1

We have at least 2 other players who regularly play CM and he covers more ground than them too.

I don't know what other stat you could use to measure work rate. Number of sprints maybe? If anyone's got them feel free to post.

Edit: a quick google found a stat for that

3362925.jpg

I'm unsure as to what time period that covers. Possibly the season to date, but it was published in November.

But again, it would suggest he certainly doesn't slack off.

Has to be in constant movement to be able to hide behind his teammates :)

Seriously thou he has no impact at all, you only notice him when he wastes a set piece or gets a silly yellow card.

Once every 10-15 games or so he also makes a really nice pass, but having him in the team is utterly pointless.

Those stats above would be impressive IF he got something out of all that running, but he doesn't.

It's not like he's tracking runners or closing down options for the opponents, making it difficult for them on a regular basis.

More likely he's misplaced having read the game badly and is having to chase back to where he was supposed to be.

Or he's just confused about what his role really is, I know I am.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

Blandy. 

You suggest that Westwood does exactly what the manager asks him to do. Does the manager ask him to make ludicrous tackles each game to get himself in the book?

For me, this 'at least he tries' argument is nonsense. I have never seen him busting in a gut. In fact the fans of westwood used to argue that he's never going to be a player who runs his heart out for the cause. He goes hiding it's as simple as that.

I mean in fairness to gabby et al, at least they've got the balls to make it clear as day they don't give a shit. 

Re the manager comment - I got that from Paul Lambert praising him and his professionalism and his attitude. 

Re the tackles - yes, he needs to cut it out. It's a flaw in his game.

Re he tries - as Stevo has posted, there's stats to back up observation. Yes, it's the minimum expected and sadly others in our squad can't even be bothered to do that. But it's not a stick anyone can fairly beat Westwood with.

Re going hiding - some more than others. I accept that all our players are not as mentally tough as we'd like. The terrible results have got to all of them. The (deserved) derision of the supporters has got to them. They are utterly demoralised. Part of the problem with our recruitment policy in the summer was that when we lost stronger characters like Vlaar and Delph, we replaced them with players who were bought because they were cheap, or because they were "prospects" but the character and the need for leaders and such like doesn't seem to have entered the equation.

As much as the players are the primary reason for the appalling displays and results, they too have been let down, they've not been well managed and the club didn't recruit properly in the summer to give the decent humans amongst them, to give the youngsters team mates and squad mates the necessary fibre and ability and experience.

3 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

If Mo Farah was in our team I expect he would run more distance than anyone else in our team.

Like Westwood he would probably be rubbish at football.

It's not how much you move - it's how effective you are.

Nobody has said any different.

On 3 April 2016 at 20:08, Dante_Lockhart said:

Can't agree with that. He's a model professional, doesn't complain, have off field troubles, and regardless of how you rate him he gives 100% on the field. 

Hes on a modest salary for a Premier League club, especially compared to some of the guys who DO have off field troubles and seem to not give a toss on the field. 

You should expect that as a bare minimum.

He is lightweight....passive in his play, anonymous at times.He has little overall effect on a game , does not weigh in with goals and is muscled out of most encounters.He is quite frankly not up to premiership standard and his staurelends itself to that.

not saying he isn't a nice lad....but then I wasn't referring to him personally, I was referring to him as a football player.

ps my point is.....as one of our better players, what chance have we got, when most of the others are worse.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And your point is?

.......he has one good attribute?