Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think Westwood is just been shown up having poor players around him too. As part of a midfield with Delph and Cleverley he was pretty good most of the time. I still think he can do a job in the championship.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sne said:

Almost 120 PL games for us, less than 5 goals and less than 10 assists.

Sure you can say that is not his role, but what is his role?

That is for me his biggest redeeming grace, no manager seem to have found a role for him, he just is. Had he been given a clear role he might have performed better. Don't buy that he keeps things ticking and does his work in the quiet. We've all seen enough games to know this is just not true.

He get's slack because he's always playing, but is never visible. It's not his fault that our midfield has shit for seasons now, but he's been a mainstay in a shit midfield.

Had he'd been a part time player for said midfield he'd get less critique. 

Has nothing to do with his nationality or where we signed him from, if anything he'd get much more critique had he been an expensive signing from another PL team.

This is a big issue for me. 'It's not his role'. But I bet there are several out-and-out defensive midfielders who score and assist more frequently than Westwood does.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is a big issue for me. 'It's not his role'. But I bet there are several out-and-out defensive midfielders who score and assist more frequently than Westwood does.

Considering how many set pieces he's taken it's not very impressive is it?

Again, our midfield as a whole has not been working for ages, even with Delph and Cleverly it was poorly composed. But Westwood is just not good enough to play on a regular basis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ashley Westwood - 119 PL games, 3 goals, 10 assists

Over the same time period:

Nemanjc Matic - 83 PL games, 2 goals, 8 assists

Mathieu Flamini - 66 PL games (second time at Arsenal), 3 goals, 1 assist

Michael Carrick - 107 PL games, 3 goals, 6 assists

Lucas Leiva - 94 PL games, 0 goals, 1 assist

Lee Cattermole - 88 PL games, 2 goals, 0 assists

A couple of recent Villa players:

Fabian Delph (from 11/12 onwards) - 97 PL games, 5 goals, 5 assists

Carlos Sanchez - 44 PL games, 1 goal, 0 assists

...and, for what it's worth, a better technical player in a much better team at the time:

Stilian Petrov - 91 PL games, 5 goals, 5 assists

I'm sure there are defensive midfielders who contribute more to the end-part of the pitch, and I'm also sure Westwood gets forward more than a lot of them, but hardly outrageous comparative to people in much better teams?  (All stats from WhoScored and obviously a random selection of defensive players).

I think the problem with Westwood is that he has no specific role, he lies deep, but doesn't seem to win many tackles (I am sure someone can give me some stats) or interceptions. He's weak and too slow to be a presence as a defensive player. He's not a play maker, as he does not create enough chances, I appreciate that he is supposed to be a safe option that doesn't loose the ball and keeps the play ticking, but his passes are just to safe. and when he tries making good passes he fails quite often. AND he has the worst shots I have seen of any professional premier league player ever.

He is not close to being our worst player, but he is not good. Maybe with better players around him he would improve. 
Also that we keep using three defensive midfielders may ruin his game a bit, as he has less options when trying to pass forward and the other defensive midfielders get in his way. (the three central midfielders is in my opinion one of our weakest links, no one else plays like this) 

• Like 1

Westwood pass forward never seen that.  There are two who can compete with the worst shot competition and they are Carlos Sanchez and Alexander Tonev, the latter was a danger to all but the goalkeeper.

• Like 1

I'm pretty neutral. There are certainly a fair few others that must go before he does.

But I would say its hard to criticise him for so few assists - who has he had to assist ?  I can't remember the last time we had a player who made proper 'runs', (including Tekkers).

His corners and free kicks are, to be sure, woeful.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think Westwood is just been shown up having poor players around him too. As part of a midfield with Delph and Cleverley he was pretty good most of the time. I still think he can do a job in the championship.

No, no he wasn't "pretty good most of the time", ever. 

The sooner this stain on our history is shown the door the better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Ashley Westwood - 119 PL games, 3 goals, 10 assists

Over the same time period:

Nemanjc Matic - 83 PL games, 2 goals, 8 assists

Mathieu Flamini - 66 PL games (second time at Arsenal), 3 goals, 1 assist

Michael Carrick - 107 PL games, 3 goals, 6 assists

Lucas Leiva - 94 PL games, 0 goals, 1 assist

Lee Cattermole - 88 PL games, 2 goals, 0 assists

A couple of recent Villa players:

Fabian Delph (from 11/12 onwards) - 97 PL games, 5 goals, 5 assists

Carlos Sanchez - 44 PL games, 1 goal, 0 assists

...and, for what it's worth, a better technical player in a much better team at the time:

Stilian Petrov - 91 PL games, 5 goals, 5 assists

I'm sure there are defensive midfielders who contribute more to the end-part of the pitch, and I'm also sure Westwood gets forward more than a lot of them, but hardly outrageous comparative to people in much better teams?  (All stats from WhoScored and obviously a random selection of defensive players).

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. 

Westwood is shit and has been since day one. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. 

Westwood is shit and has been since day one. 

****, you sure shown him. Whos opinion do i believe more. You literally just shown a very very good argument there compared to bobzy. Im so so confused now.

OT: he will obviously be good player in championship lol.

• Like 2