Ashley Westwood

Nabby

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

just a theory: maybe his pointless shadow chasing wouldn't be quite as pointless if the rest of the side were willing to run and chase as much too.

interesting theory but what about the previous 3 seasons?

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

just a theory: maybe his pointless shadow chasing wouldn't be quite as pointless if the rest of the side were willing to run and chase as much too.

What's the actual difference in his running to that of other villa players?

Have we got anything a bit meatier than a table highlighting number of sprints, that includes diafra sakho - a man who has played only 16 games this season.

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

What's the actual difference in his running to that of other villa players?

Have we got anything a bit meatier than a table highlighting number of sprints, that includes diafra sakho - a man who has played only 16 games this season.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/find-out-how-far-gabby-11075810

Ashley Westwood covers more blades of grass per game than his other Aston Villa team-mates.

On average Westwood runs 11.42 kilometres a match in the Premier League.

Captain Micah Richards is the outfield Villa player who covers the least distance per match - 8.71km.

The figures have been provided by the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, the Official Player Rating Index of the Barclays Premier League.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I'm sure it would.

If all the players did a better job, all of their teammates would have an easier time, and our results would be better.

Goes for Westwood, and all of our players.

If our tactics was clearer and everyone knew exactly what his job was and how their teammates would act in any given situation our results would be better.

If our midfield was better composed our results would be better.

To say that Westwood would do better in a better team thou is only true in the sense that he'd have better players to hide behind. He has not actual skills to make him a playable option if you wan't to win games.

Of course but I'm not saying that necessarily, all I'm saying is that it's not really fair to accuse him of disappearing, not caring, not trying when he's shown he's willing to run and chase more than anyone else, as good or poor as that might be as a metric.

Especially since this thread is literally ALWAYS at the top of the forum, you'd think he had the attitude of N'Zogbia and the ability of the Djemba Twins.

• Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

Of course but I'm not saying that necessarily, all I'm saying is that it's not really fair to accuse him of disappearing, not caring, not trying when he's shown he's willing to run and chase more than anyone else, as good or poor as that might be as a metric.

Especially since this thread is literally ALWAYS at the top of the forum, you'd think he had the attitude of N'Zogbia and the ability of the Djemba Twins.

He's been a huge scapegoat for a select number of people who are constantly bumping this thread - presumably because he was purchased from League One.

Nothing more, nothing less than this.

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's been a huge scapegoat for a select number of people who are constantly bumping this thread - presumably because he was purchased from League One.

Nothing more, nothing less than this.

He's also been massively overrated and defended probably for the same reason. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

He's also been massively overrated and defended probably for the same reason. 

He really hasn't been "massively overrated" at all.

People have just taking offence at others giving him any credit whatsoever and feel the need to comment on it every 2 weeks or so.

26 minutes ago, sne said:

everyone knew exactly what his job was and how their teammates would act in any given situation our results would be better.

That was summed up for me on the weekend - start of the second half, Westwood charged someone down and chased after the loose ball and flicked it back into play just before it ran out. 

Unfortunately the team mate who was previously alongside him had decided to break off and run downfield awaiting a pass, leaving the ball alone with 2 players nowhere about to do anything with it.

• Like 1

I think he has. It was made out like you didn't get or appreciate football If you didn't rate Westwood and his role. That's now stopped once it's become obvious he has zero impact on us 

Almost 120 PL games for us, less than 5 goals and less than 10 assists.

Sure you can say that is not his role, but what is his role?

That is for me his biggest redeeming grace, no manager seem to have found a role for him, he just is. Had he been given a clear role he might have performed better. Don't buy that he keeps things ticking and does his work in the quiet. We've all seen enough games to know this is just not true.

He get's slack because he's always playing, but is never visible. It's not his fault that our midfield has shit for seasons now, but he's been a mainstay in a shit midfield.

Had he'd been a part time player for said midfield he'd get less critique. 

Has nothing to do with his nationality or where we signed him from, if anything he'd get much more critique had he been an expensive signing from another PL team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CardiffGreens said:

That was summed up for me on the weekend - start of the second half, Westwood charged someone down and chased after the loose ball and flicked it back into play just before it ran out. 

Unfortunately the team mate who was previously alongside him had decided to break off and run downfield awaiting a pass, leaving the ball alone with 2 players nowhere about to do anything with it.

Very much this.

Our managers have failed the players and fans as they have not been able to hammer in any clear tactics and patterns.

I don't rate MON very much, he's very limited and we became too easy to read when he was here, but at least our players knew exactly what to do when we won the ball.

yeah the problem is he is picked by every manager when he offers absolute nothing, having him play midfield for 4 years everyweek its no coincidence we are in the shit each season

Doesnt help he takes the worst corners in football

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yeah the problem is he is picked by every manager when he offers absolute nothing, having him play midfield for 4 years everyweek its no coincidence we are in the shit each season

Doesnt help he takes the worst corners in football

Every professional football manager at this club knows nothing.

Us forum folk, though, know everything.

lol.

Just now, bobzy said:

Every professional football manager at this club knows nothing.

Us forum folk, though, know everything.

lol.

well by going by the management in recent seasons I think people on this forum probably do know better ;)