Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Did one good pass in the game.

Completely overrated, didn't do his job as a defensive midfielder.He has a pass on him, but for me is far too cautious.Half of our problems are because we don't compete for the ball higher up the pitch enough.Westwood would get on better if we had Sanchez in the midfield, we lack a physical presence.

Compare Barry to Westwood today, and that is what we lack.

Barry had McCarthy absolutely everywhere helping him out, I didn't see the same energy from Richardson.

Completely overrated, didn't do his job as a defensive midfielder.He has a pass on him, but for me is far too cautious.Half of our problems are because we don't compete for the ball higher up the pitch enough.Westwood would get on better if we had Sanchez in the midfield, we lack a physical presence.

Barry had McCarthy absolutely everywhere helping him out, I didn't see the same energy from Richardson.

Nope, Westy was alone and coped well. Most of hiss passes went left yo Cissokho today, or ahead to Cleverley.

yet Gareth Barry when he was Westwood age didnt have the same midfield dominance

yet Gareth Barry when he was Westwood age didnt have the same midfield dominance

No but Gareth was getting assists and regularily chipping in with goals.

I don't want to be the negative one, but it is games like that, and it happens way too much where I really wonder what Westwood brings to the team.

In a good team, when we are playing well, he is a tidy player to have, but we need more than that.

Barry is much better defending than Westwood and has better positinal sense when defending so despite his lack of pace he is in the right place when needed as opposed to Westwood who is reacting to the situation.Barry also has ability to hold onto the ball and slow things down if needed, he is hard to push off the ball and wins free kicks this way.In terms of when playing for Villa , Barry has Young and Gabby hogging the wings always giving him an outball , particularly effective with Ashley Young on the left.

IMO Westwood in a midfield with Cleverly and Delph is not going to be effective there is neither the goal threat ,creativity or defensive ability there to make it work.With the players we have in a 3 man midfield with them playing well it would be 

Sanchez 

Cleverly/Westwood                                                        Delph 

10 years older though! Barry was hugely talented when we signed him as a youngster from Brighton and he when he first broke into the side at 16/17 I thought wow this kid can play but I don't think he was that highly rated by villa fans when he first played in central midfield under Taylor. It wasn't until Oneill that we started seeing the best of him. Not sure Westwood will ever be as good but he has time. 

Oh please!

Westwood has never and will never be a dominant midfield player, nor has he ever been better than Barry at anytime in his career. Barry was called up to an England squad at 18 if I remember rightly. Westwood is one of the reasons why we have the poorest midfields in our history. Don't believe the Villa PR hype. He's crap.

Edited by avfc1982

Oh please!

Westwood has never and will never be a dominant midfield player, nor has he ever been better than Barry at anytime in his career. Barry was called up to an England squad at 18 if I remember rightly. Westwood is one of the reasons why we have the poorest midfields in our history. Don't believe the Villa PR hype. He's crap.

I think Zat means that when Barry was Westwood's age, he(Barry) did not have the same midfield dominance as he(Barry) now has.

Meaning, presumably, that Westwood has time to get better.

I assume this is what he means, as I do not think anyone would claim that Westwood has `midfield dominance'.

• Like 1

Oh please!

I think Zat means that when Barry was Westwood's age, he(Barry) did not have the same midfield dominance as he(Barry) now has.

Meaning, presumably, that Westwood has time to get better.

I assume this is what he means, as I do not think anyone would claim that Westwood has `midfield dominance'.

Fair enough. I'm just sick of the plaudits Westwood seems to get for churning out substandard performances week in week out. I've been pretty consistent with my view that he is a lower league player completely out of his depth in the PL. I look forward to the day when Lerner sells up to someone who gives a damn about the club and rids the club of the players who aren't fit to wear the colours. It isn't rocket science to suggest that the reason we're a poor team is because we have a squad packed out with poor players. The only thing Villa and Lerner have been good at over the last 5 years is the churning out of hype and PR in an attempt to fool the fans into thinking different.

What I don't get with Westwood, is that into his third season a prem dm and he still doesn't pick up good defence positions. You don't have to be a midfield powerhouse but surely with all the technology around he can study videos of dm positions? He can then learn from those and try to adapt his game.

He isn't a DM and will never be one, all our CM options are very weak which is why Sanchez needs to start now that Delph is out.

But sadly Sanchez doesn't look the player we believed he would be when he signed. It's just a bloody mess, just like the previous 4 seasons before this.