Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I feel sorry for him and any player that plays in that role. Due to the very nature of said role these sorts of players are almost always under-appreciated. Delph rightly gets a lot of the praise and he definitely catches the eyes more but Westwood is probably almost if not just as important IMO.

I disagree. I think a number of decent players in that position get praise for their performances and rightly so.

I think I posted similar in the a Sanchez thread (if not here) but the deep lying central midfielder who keeps it ticking over rather than a midfielder enforcer neary always gets called The Crab by their own supporters. Of course some of these players get praise as well but along with Westwood, Petrov was called The Crab, Cleverley when playing deep at Utd and even Carrick, Arteta gets it at Arsenal as well.

it is the type of player England are desperate for but there is no a massive amount of them to choose from because of the way football is played in this country and fans get frustrated far too easily with a few simple passes in the middle of the park.

Westwood et al do get praise from fans of their team, opposing clubs and the media but they also get more stick than they deserve.

So Westwood doesn't get praise for his performances at Villa?  Lambert is often praising him and a lot of Villa fans also seem to rate him highly.

And a lot put him down or can't/won't find positives, ignore evidence of his good work and then pounce when he might overhit a corner. Westwood (in my eyes) is out most complete midfielder and he will just get better and better.

• Like 2

Really DC?...........thought we were poor going forward, too weak, knocked off the ball too easily, gave the ball away far too easily.

I'm not going to mention Westwood, but not sure Cleverley is worth £8m .

I think we did give the ball away but I thought they played well. I think against worse teams they will start to impress more.

Big fan of his but I'd have Delph ahead of him as captain.

I'd probably go along with this but I guess none of us really know their personalities and how the other players see them/what influence they have on others.

Looking solely at Westwood I like the lad. He reads the game well, can pick a pass, very rarely misplaces a pass and links up really well with Delph and more recently Cleverley.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

You don't think, that as the deeper lying midfield player, he should have got to Toure quicker for the goal, or been more aware of where Silva was for most the game?

I thought the Toure goal was more on Cleverley myself.

Edited by Isa

Watch the goal again.Westwood, as the deep lying, if you like defensive midfielder, is to play in front of the CHs.When Toure picks the ball up, Westwood is in the right position, but he moves away, he doesn't need to, Toure runs past Delph, and Cleverley, far too easy granted, but he runs into the area where Westood was/should have been.I f he would have held his position, the probability is Toure wouldn't have scored.

This is why i don't rate Westwood, its not about ability, or passing, its about knowing how to play your position, and i don't think he contributes enough in this department to justify his place, or contribute enough in other aspects of his game to compensate for it.

I think we are a long way away from 6/7 years ago, but saying that CB is as good a striker as i have seen down VP since the 70s, the defence looks settled, i like Delph, and think Sanchez will be fine.I think we need 2 or 3 good footballers in the team to go with thw above named 7 , and we will be comfortably in the top 8.