Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I mean we played a top team (who didn't play particularly well)

I think that's being very harsh on us. They played well, we just kept them from scoring for most of the game.

That was by no means a poor Man City performance.

Was the cost of the man city midfield the reason why hull (in the same fixture) managed nearly 10% more possession and 5 times as many shots on target than us?

They didn't play half as well against Hull as they did against us.

I thought they were ok. I've certainly see them play a lot better. I thought David silva embarrased us and Aguero was a constant threat. Other than that, they weren't that great IMO. They made a number of mistakes and this was highlighted again on motd. There finishing was extremely poor and on another day, it could have easily been 5/6.

I think that's being very harsh on us. They played well, we just kept them from scoring for most of the game.

Was the cost of the man city midfield the reason why hull (in the same fixture) managed nearly 10% more possession and 5 times as many shots on target than us?

I thought they were ok. I've certainly see them play a lot better. I thought David silva embarrased us and Aguero was a constant threat. Other than that, they weren't that great IMO. They made a number of mistakes and this was highlighted again on motd. There finishing was extremely poor and on another day, it could have easily been 5/6.

I'm embarrassed that 2 of the best players in the world managed to be a threat.

I think they'd have beaten the majority of teams in the league with that performance.

Like I said in the match thread, I think we did about as well as you can expect yesterday. If a top team turns up and puts in a top performance, you're not going to win.

I don't think we could have asked much more of our players yesterday.

• Like 1

Well you're obsessed with Westwood Stefan, and will have no criticism of him at all, so whats the point?

In the Nathan Baker thread you said that Baker was receiving too many uneeded passes "Particularly from Westwood" . Now to me , having a pop at Westwood in another players thread tells me that you are at the other end of the spectrum and will have no praise of him seen either ! You clearly don't rate Westwood,which is fine , but you are just as prone to confirmation bias as you believe Stefan to be .

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 2

Really? Why?

Really? Why?

I was being sarcastic. I don't think it's fair to have a go at our midfield for being outplayed by 2 of the best players in the world to be honest.

Really? Why?

I was being sarcastic. I don't think it's fair to have a go at our midfield for being outplayed by 2 of the best players in the world to be honest.

I thought that you were but sarcasm makes little sense when your point is out of context.

I didn't have a go at our midfield for that. I was highlighting to Steveo that other than those two, I didn't think man city were particularly good. That is very clear from my post. The line after the line you've put in bold in fact, starts with 'other than that'............

I'm really not sure how you missed it.

I think he is intelligent and technically brilliant but for me he still isn't aggressive or dynamic enough . I don't know if that is because it is beyond him or if he is under instruction to hold ground . He also infuriates me when he stands there pointing at danger that he should be sniffing out himself .

There you go ! Criticism of Ashley from one of his biggest fans . He is garbage in the air too .

• Like 1

I think he is intelligent and technically brilliant but for me he still isn't aggressive or dynamic enough . I don't know if that is because it is beyond him or if he is under instruction to hold ground . He also infuriates me when he stands there pointing at danger that he should be sniffing out himself .

There you go ! Criticism of Ashley from one of his biggest fans . He is garbage in the air too .

He is an expert at pointing. He is woeful in the air as well.

I think they'd have beaten the majority of teams in the league with that performance.

Like I said in the match thread, I think we did about as well as you can expect yesterday. If a top team turns up and puts in a top performance, you're not going to win.

I don't think we could have asked much more of our players yesterday.

This is where I am as well. Considering the gulf in class I thought we performed well, carried out our plan and looked to get something out if the game.

Although I can see the merits in Westwood's game I do have reservations about the mix we have in central midfield and particularly if Cleverley and Westwood are a bit too similar. I still fail to see (if we're not going to play with width) where the creativity is going to come from.

Although I can see the merits in Westwood's game I do have reservations about the mix we have in central midfield and particularly if Cleverley and Westwood are a bit too similar. I still fail to see (if we're not going to play with width) where the creativity is going to come from.

I'm still optimistic there is creativity there. There are signs of good quick passing between the 3 of them, which has the potential to unlock defences. If we can actually manage to do it in the final 3rd rather than the half way line and not lose the ball as easy then there's loads of goals :D . Sounds easy and obviously there are a few If's in there but lets see how we are doing come then end of November.

• 2 weeks later...

I really feel like he is wasted sitting back so far all the time.  He is our only midfielder who has the composure and skill set to unlock teams imo.  He isn't good enough at DMF to keep playing there imo and would benefit hugely from playing higher up the pitch.  I'd like to see The Rock play next week and allow Westwood more freedom to roam forward.  Keep Richardson for the wings.

I really feel like he is wasted sitting back so far all the time.  He is our only midfielder who has the composure and skill set to unlock teams imo.  He isn't good enough at DMF to keep playing there imo and would benefit hugely from playing higher up the pitch.  I'd like to see The Rock play next week and allow Westwood more freedom to roam forward.  Keep Richardson for the wings.

Yep, Cleverley and Westwood are the key.

Did one good pass in the game.

Completely overrated, didn't do his job as a defensive midfielder.He has a pass on him, but for me is far too cautious.Half of our problems are because we don't compete for the ball higher up the pitch enough.Westwood would get on better if we had Sanchez in the midfield, we lack a physical presence.

Compare Barry to Westwood today, and that is what we lack.

Like what was said above, stick Sanchez in behind and then we will have less trouble keeping the ball further up the pitch - which is where we lose it.

Well there is nothing to suggest that either. While we can't string 5 passes together, it doesn't really matter where the players are. I see what your saying in shifting our 2 better ball players further forward, but we will no doubt struggle to get the ball to them.

The whole of the weeks training session next week should be focused on passing. Nothing else. We can worry about our tactics when we can pass the ball.