Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I suppose what I am saying is that I don't believe Westwood would have made a big difference, not because I'm unfamiliar with what Westwood brings to aston villa but because I am all too familiar with the tendencies of aston villa. Especially, the recent Aston Villa.

I suppose what I am saying is that I don't believe Westwood would have made a big difference, not because I'm unfamiliar with what Westwood brings to aston villa but because I am all too familiar with the tendencies of aston villa. Especially, the recent Aston Villa.

But that's not how it works. That's akin to saying that your opinion is based upon a "feeling in your waters".

We badly missed Westwood IMO. As much as we missed Vlaar and Benteke. Whether that would have made a difference to the result will never be known, but in my opinion we missed him. I think he's having a fantastic season.

Not sure why y'all needed a 6 page debate over a hypothetical question. Nutters ;)

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

We needed Westwood to banana in some of those whipped set pieces but he was not the most accurate crosser in the Premier League today.

The best with at least 3 crosses were Steven Davis (100%), Steven Gerrard (75%), Raheem Sterling (60%), Branoslav Ivanovic (50%) and Jason Puncheon (44%). Stewart Downing gets special mention for 8 from 16 (50%).

If we are going to compete against the top teams Westwood needs to be more consistent with his delivery because we're not going to get many chances.

Adrian Durham thinks Westwood is exactly what Arsenal need.   Who's Adrian Durham?  Interesting to see someone rain on Arsenal's parade a little and remind them that Vill a were hit by a virus.   Is he a Villa supporter?

I do like the article.

Ignoring Westwood of the moment it is so so true about Arsenal. Wenger is capable of creating a side that can get Champions League football (just) every season but he will never win the PL or the CL as you will never do that with a bunch of tippy tappy midfield players and no decent defence. Arsenal fans delude themselves. They would fully expect to beat Villa and they managed that against an sickness ravaged side but were comprehensively put to the sword by Dortmund. Which matters more?

As for Westwood we missed him hugely as Sanchez is way way off the PL at the moment.

We needed Westwood to bannan in some of those whipped set pieces

Let it go man....

Is there a heat map?

We needed Westwood to banana in some of those whipped set pieces but he was not the most accurate crosser in the Premier League today.

The best with at least 3 crosses were Steven Davis (100%), Steven Gerrard (75%), Raheem Sterling (60%), Branoslav Ivanovic (50%) and Jason Puncheon (44%). Stewart Downing gets special mention for 8 from 16 (50%).

If we are going to compete against the top teams Westwood needs to be more consistent with his delivery because we're not going to get many chances.

Agree fully with your last sentence Con.

Other than that, Westwood was good.

Why do we insist on giving this guy corners? He is hopeless at them. I would say he is as bad as bannan

Thats my biggest problem with him. Good player but he is awful at corners and always has been. This is Lamberts issue and not his.

He had a couple of bad corners but also put in a great ball which led to a chance for Cissokho. His delivery vs Liverpool was quality. It's like people wait til he puts in a few bad ones and then totally write him off. His general play yesterday was good.

• Like 1