Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Westwood was good in open play, obviously his set piece were shite! Still though I don't like him as defensive midfielder, simply not strong enough in the tackle for my liking! Once Sanchez is up to speed he would be a better fit for these type of games! Westwood though for home games against average teams!

Cleverley and Westwood would be both be poor in CAM and box to box midfield roles (respectively) IMO.

Don't understand why the majority of posters seem to be excited by the possibility of this midfield four, bores me just looking at it.

Best midfielder yday?..........good grief.This guy is incredibly talked up.Too safe yday, can't think of one telling pass, very average, no more no less, but to say he was excellant is absolutely ridiculous.

How dare people praise a player who plays for the team they support. 

Cleverley and Westwood would be both be poor in CAM and box to box midfield roles (respectively) IMO.

Don't understand why the majority of posters seem to be excited by the possibility of this midfield four, bores me just looking at it.

Why does it bore you? We've not had the chance to try this formation yet (with all players fit) so how can it bore you to look at it? I'm not sure how that works. It might make us more solid and actually give Benteke the ball in/around the box, as well as create runners from midfield (Delph, Cleverley), so we really should give it a try.

Cleverley and Westwood were linking really well yesterday, if we can get Sanchez/Vlaar in to keep us solid behind, they will do this (passing/keep ball/triangles) further up the pitch - where we gave/give the ball away a lot usually - and make us harder to break down.

Why does it bore you? We've not had the chance to try this formation yet (with all players fit) so how can it bore you to look at it? I'm not sure how that works. It might make us more solid and actually give Benteke the ball in/around the box, as well as create runners from midfield (Delph, Cleverley), so we really should give it a try.

Cleverley and Westwood were linking really well yesterday, if we can get Sanchez/Vlaar in to keep us solid behind, they will do this (passing/keep ball/triangles) further up the pitch - where we gave/give the ball away a lot usually - and make us harder to break down.

Because we'll have no midfielders offering any attacking threat, meaning we'll just be relying on one of the two strikers to create and score the chances by themselves.

Because we'll have no midfielders offering any attacking threat, meaning we'll just be relying on one of the two strikers to create and score the chances by themselves.

I think Cleverley/Westwood will create chances, I also think Delph will start scoring more goals. I think it will work.

Saying that, I accept you may see things differently.

yesterday he proved again that he cannot play defensive mid reliably. 1st goal he is near to willian and spots him starting his run, but then he points for someone else (weimann who is playing upfront) to track it while he just jogs back. 3rd goal again he is closest to willian outside the box, but again elects to point for someone else to track the run while he ambles back into the box. its something he has done consistently since he signed - hes quite the expert at pointing. 

also i thought the only reason we were so poor against arsenal was that westwood didnt play. yet hes back in the side yesterday and we see exactly the same performance.

• Like 1

The same people who were running Sanchez down last week Stefan?

Praise where praise is due.He wasn't excellent yday, and he wasn't better than Delph or Cleverley, the over praise he gets is ridiculous.We lacked quality in midfield yday, we offered no threat, and that is because against teams like Chelsk, Westwood , Cleverley and Delph are not good enough.I believe only one of them ever will be.

I feel sorry for him and any player that plays in that role. Due to the very nature of said role these sorts of players are almost always under-appreciated. Delph rightly gets a lot of the praise and he definitely catches the eyes more but Westwood is probably almost if not just as important IMO.

• Like 1

Westwood is not a bad player but for me, he's certainly not our best midfielder and these comparisons with Barry and Petrov are off the mark. While Westwood's passing is of the same standard, he isn't solid enough to shield the ball and he can't tackle like they were able to. Westwood's biggest issue is that he's neither quick nor strong, which isn't a good thing in the premier league. 

I think Westwood is doing a decent job at the moment but I disagree he's as important to us than delph. Delph offers so much more and his pace on the ball is essential if we plan to continue being a counter attacking team.

Delph has no end product.  Much the same way that people berate Westwood for not being defensively strong enough, Delph has the same problem going the other way.  Lots of great bits of skill with nothing at the end of them.

Edit:  Though I agree Delph is important given our style of play.  He's the only midfielder with a proper engine on him.

Edited by bobzy

I feel sorry for him and any player that plays in that role. Due to the very nature of said role these sorts of players are almost always under-appreciated. Delph rightly gets a lot of the praise and he definitely catches the eyes more but Westwood is probably almost if not just as important IMO.

Lambert doesn't under-appreciate him. He has played him for almost every game in the last 2 years and always praises him. If your boss rates you, damn the rest,

I disagree. I think a number of decent players in that position get praise for their performances and rightly so.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

I disagree. I think a number of decent players in that position get praise for their performances and rightly so.

At other clubs, maybe.