Ashley Westwood

Nabby

By saying pure class, you're literally indicating that he is absolutely brilliant, which he clearly isn't.

One of our better players maybe, (which isn't hard), but pure class, nah, not for me.

Fair enough. If Westwood was playing in a system like what Swansea play then I believe you would see why I think he is pure class. It's hard for him to play to his full potential in our team atm working under an old fashioned manager with crap tactics.
Surely if he needs to play in another team to show he is pure class, that kind of hints at the idea that he is yet to show anything pure class in this team/or is even pure class. Asking the question, what on earth have you seen?

With the greatest respects, it's a bit weak to say he needs to be in a different team to show he's pure class. Maybe a different team would get the best out of him, but I believe we'd know if he was pure class, regardless of our system.

I said he would shine if we played a system similar to what Swansea play not that he has to play for another team to show he is class. Do you think that it could be the case that he is restricted in showing how good he is by having to play so deep and his influence on a game could be restricted due to being asked to fulfill certain duties by Lambert?
You're right you did say that - my bad. Misread it.

Erm, to an extent yes, and there is an arguement for a number if players in terms of that. However, I just don't see a top class player in there and I believe I would.

Quite a bad example given the obvious gulf in class, but when messi plays for Argentina it's in a system that doesn't suit him (or was). You could still see his level of ability and he stood out from the rest.

I don't see any unique ability from Westwood, that I don't see in the other 9 or so players we've got out there.

I agree that a different approach might suit him a bit better, but I'd very much doubt a pure class player would jump out of nowhere.

Well I guess time will tell, not much else to debate on this. I rate him, you don't.

he quite clearly cant play DMF, but i dont think he would be any good further forward either. he can pick a pass when he has time and isnt under any pressure, but i dont think he can do it in tight spaces such as around a congested box. he also has no ability to go round or past a player.

compare to him to someone like sigurdson at swansea who plays that creative, attacking mifield role and hes miles behind.

He is pure class, what's your point? He has a bad game and you think it justifies all the dribble you write about him?

Westwood, pure class?

Honestly he's nothing better than average. Forget the hype from Villa's PR team and look closely at the team. There is no one at Villa Park that is "pure class". That's why we're in the shit.

Just because somebody rates a player doesn't mean they have fallen for PR. Jesus Christ stop being patronising.

If we'd all have listened to you we'd have thought the Villa were Champions League material and not relegation fodder. You need to take the rose coloured specs off.

I like Westwood because he has improved as a player and seems to be doing the right things to continue to improve himself as much as he can. Having said that, he has never dominated a game like Sanchez did against QPR from the DMF role, and I'm not sure he is suited to playing anywhere else in our midfield.

• Like 1

It's got to be Cleverley or Westwood in midfield, but not both. I think Westwood just edges it for me at the moment as I've been severely disappointed with Cleverley (although I'm not sure what I was expected as I never rated him at Man Utd).

Because that's clearly what I said. Bore off.

Charming.

He's no where near pure class. He's a very average player who occassionaly can play very well. But even when playing very well he has little impact on the team.

Type of player who has dragged us down the level we're at.

Spot on.

He's not pure class but he's still one of the better players in our team.

A truly depressing fact.

Another player who people seem to say ' if he was surrounded by better players he would shine.'

No, if you have the class, you show your class, you lead by example, and lift everyone around you.

10 years ago a player like this wouldn't have got near out first 11 yet alone be lauded as pure class.

10 years ago a player like this wouldn't have got near out first 11 yet alone be lauded as pure class.

how about Djemba Djemba?  Westwood is better than him

how about Djemba Djemba?  Westwood is better than him

When was Djemba Djemba ever in our first 11?

Edited by rodders0223