Ashley Westwood

Nabby

For one, our midfield was certainly not ticking tonight. It was pretty lacklustre. And secondly, he was never excellent. Decent, ok, maybe good, tidy, whatever - but excellent? We played at home to Reading and we never bossed the game from midfield. Again, people should ease off on the superlatives.

I disagree. Reading to me, packed the middle of the park, which was always going to make it difficult for a 2 man midfield with an AM playing just over them who is not known for composure on the ball (Homan). Westwood did have a couple of giveaways today, but it seemed Reading's midfield was pressing very hard to force these mistakes, and on a few occasions were successful. Overall though, he handled himself well and put in the corner that got the game winner.

I asked for assists from this guy yesterday before the game, and boy did he deliver. It seems our set pieces are getting better and better, here's to Benteke winning the goals from corners statistic this year. If he was on the end of that Bannan corner that Ciaran headed wide he'd have two from corners. Westwood has been very impressive.

I would like to see if he has a shot on him. Seen him a few times in space on the edge of the box in prime shooting position only to pass it wide. It would be very handy if he could leerya few go, if only to draw defenders and create space behind them.

Still, he isa very tidy little player and seems to have taken to the premiership likea duck to water. Jumping 3 divisions in class in one season its no mean feat.

For one, our midfield was certainly not ticking tonight. It was pretty lacklustre. And secondly, he was never excellent. Decent, ok, maybe good, tidy, whatever - but excellent? We played at home to Reading and we never bossed the game from midfield. Again, people should ease off on the superlatives.

Why should they? Let them eat cake.

I think he's top drawer. Every time I see him my impression of him grows.

In answer to your valid point, the midfield as a unit was poor yesterday. Bannan and Holman were not quite at the races. That should not reflect badly on Westwood. A team of Westwoods would have won (which we did anyway in case you missed it) and won comfortably.

Where is this "30 game dossier" from? I havent read anything about it.

So either Lambert cut and pasted the 30 game dossier from a document with Norwich FC letterhead on it , or McLeish and his scouts were the ones tracking him ??

I have to admit that I must be seeing a different player to a lot of people. He has looked tidy and can pick a pass but has been ineffective in the final third and makes a lot of back passed and poor passes. He's got ability and I'm happy for him to be in the side but he hasnt really impressed me yet.

If you see this, I'm genuinely interested to hear your thoughts having watched him tonight.

Best player on the pitch. One solitary mistake where he rolled it short for someone.

Not just composed on the ball, but also impossible to panic. Instead of giving it away to someone quickly, he'll put his foot on it, turn around and look for a better ball, constantly probing. Some of his passes cut straight through their defence causing them lots of problems. If we weren't so wasteful with Gabby's lack of talent, Weimann's lack of composure and Benteke's lack of pace, we would have had quite a few goals from them. I'll leave the Bent debate for somewhere else though.

Finally. not only was he superb with the passing and composed on the ball, he was also tactically excellent. As soon as the ball was lost from another Bannan or Baker long ball to Benteke's head, he was scurrying back into position, giving everyone else instructions on where to go and who to pick up. He was the main reason we kept Reading out, and also the main reason we scored. As about a complete a player as I've seen for a while.

• Like 2

So either Lambert cut and pasted the 30 game dossier from a document with Norwich FC letterhead on it , or McLeish and his scouts were the ones tracking him ??

I don't like to blame McLeish any more than I have to, but there's no real possibility that he was looking at Westwood.

When Lambert came in, he would have been speaking with his backroom staff discussing targets and they will already have had the info on Westwood. Any of McLeish's targets will have gone with him. You wouldn't have Lambert coming in and saying "Well if Eck thinks he's a good player we'd better get him in sharpish!".

have to say for a guy coming form league two he hasnt done too badly. I think he has a experienced palyer next to him he can bbe very good.

bannan for me is crap and shouldnt be his midfield partner. i think ireland and westwood in middle vs QPR.