Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Westwood and stevens would be a nice little pairing in the center of midfield, would be pretty happy if we got him in also trotter from Milwall would add some bite to our CM.....

-------Trotter

-----------------Westwood

---------Stevens

All we need then is the attacking 2 behind Benteke sorting out then we are flying i think!!

Found these interesting comments from Crewe's manager about transfer of Ashley Westwood on AVFC forum who many (including me) thought was a bit of a rush job cos we couldn't get Dale Stephen's off Charlton - He wasn't apparently - Lambert or Villa had been after him for a while it seems

Re: Ashley Westwood - progress report

"Clubs had monitored Ash for a long period of time. Villa came in, we thought Villa was a bit of a surprise. But then we found out that they had a thirty game dossier on him so they've done their homework; they knew what they were getting. But nobody else did, so fair play to them; they came in late with all their money and what a fantastic opportunity for him."

Crewe manager Steve Davis on Westwood's transfer to Villa

ergo - I wonder if we'll go back for Dale Stephens in January - he's box to box apparently and scored again for Charlton yesterday?

So does that mean Villa were watching him for 30 games under McLeish or that Lambert when he was at Norwich was watching him?

So does that mean Villa were watching him for 30 games under McLeish or that Lambert when he was at Norwich was watching him?

Pretty sure it was Lambert that was watching him. I mean, Westwood is the farthest thing from a McLeish player there is.

Pretty sure it was Lambert that was watching him. I mean, Westwood is the farthest thing from a McLeish player there is.

True, but who did Lambert get the dossier off? Cuz he didn't bring any of the Norwich scouts with him, and would he of been allowed to take the info to his new employers?

Darn. What did he do? Describe it CI, describe it.

He was chasing a ball down that looked to be going out for a throw, one of the Stoke oafs was right up his arse and was looking to put him and the ball into Row Z.

Westwood made it first and kind of reverse flicked the ball over his head and the thugs , did a little turn , came away with the ball and played the pass to villa feet. The thug was left bewildered.

What signings he and Lowton are turning out to be from Leagues 2 and 1 respectively.

I'd say most of Lambert's signings are turning out to be very good signings.

Vlaar, Benteke, Westwood, Lowton,... Guzan (ok that doesn't really count :) )

KEA and Bennett haven't been too impressive yet, but there's time for both.

Another Vlaar/Westwood/Benteke in january and I'd be ecstatic

Well for me I was concerned that being young and only ever playing league 2 football would mean he wouldn't be ready for the premiership straight away and wouldn't be able to help keep us up. Very glad he's proven more than capable. I guess your confidence came from all those games you'd seen him play.

I don't remember many saying all the signings from lower leagues would be poor, a lot just questioned wether they would be good enough to keep us up this year and at the moment that's still very much up for debate.

And for someone who said we have as much chance of finishing 6th as we do of getting relegated I think it's quite funny you mocking predictions from other posters.

Years ago English clubs ruled Europe - they had very very few 'foreigners' in the sides so English talent flourished - now is the chance to pick up that sort of talent and PL is looking to do that - but not the EXPENSIVE stuff JG and MON went after

Years ago English clubs ruled Europe - they had very very few 'foreigners' in the sides so English talent flourished - now is the chance to pick up that sort of talent and PL is looking to do that - but not the EXPENSIVE stuff JG and MON went after

In fairness the game has been moving away from "quality, no nonsense, English" football for a long time. It's a thing of the past.

Look at Stoke.

All the better if you can pick up a Messi-esque player from just outside of Swindon, but it doesn't seem that likely.

Yeah to be honest, I think the "if there were no foreigners in english football the english players would be better" argument is basically nonsense. If anything, it's the complete opposite.

Well for me I was concerned that being young and only ever playing league 2 football would mean he wouldn't be ready for the premiership straight away and wouldn't be able to help keep us up. Very glad he's proven more than capable. I guess your confidence came from all those games you'd seen him play.

I don't remember many saying all the signings from lower leagues would be poor, a lot just questioned wether they would be good enough to keep us up this year and at the moment that's still very much up for debate.

And for someone who said we have as much chance of finishing 6th as we do of getting relegated I think it's quite funny you mocking predictions from other posters.

I was never confident that he'd do well just as I was never confident that he'd fail. I didn't know what to expect from him but I wasn't automatically writing him off because he came from League 2 like a lot of people did on here.

And we aren't even halfway through the season so we could still finish closer to 6th than 17th.

I'd say most of Lambert's signings are turning out to be very good signings.

Vlaar, Benteke, Westwood, Lowton,... Guzan (ok that doesn't really count :) )

KEA and Bennett haven't been too impressive yet, but there's time for both.

Another Vlaar/Westwood/Benteke in january and I'd be ecstatic

So weird that we are 15th and struggling, not scoring goals and losing more matches than winning, when we have all these brilliant players!