Ashley Westwood

Nabby

villa have a problem of letting it happen though, why cant we as a club say no, our players are staying, were coming after your league postion

When teams like Spurs and Arsenal, who make the top 4 regularly, still have their best players poached by teams above them then you know that it really is an impossible dream to hang on to your star players.

Excellent again today. He is fast becoming the man that makes us tick. Has a touch of the Petrovs about him in that he reads the game superbly well, rarely gives the ball away and is always available to receive the ball. We have really missed Stan but if Westwood can continue in the vain he has we may well have found his replacement.

He is a superb player and an absolute steal for the money.

Saw his interview on SSN earlier and he comes across as a good guy as well.

No question he is a good guy, his quotes when he joined showed that in spades. To paraphrase, he said another club (I forget which) had been showing interest in him but it wasn't going anywhere I forget why. His agent called him to say we had made a bid and according to him his response was (again I'm paraphrasing) 'that is a good club, I will go there, get it done I'm not bothered about the contract'.

Now you can only take it at face value but I believe it and he seems to me to be the epitome of what Lambert wants in terms of both a player and character.

Before Swansea I'd have said he's Excellent. Now thinking "Brilliant" is more like it. I'm not sure how there can be doubt about the future under Lambert when he can sign players as good as him, Bentekkers, Vlaar and Lowton in a single transfer window for less than 17 million.

Found these interesting comments from Crewe's manager about transfer of Ashley Westwood on AVFC forum who many (including me) thought was a bit of a rush job cos we couldn't get Dale Stephen's off Charlton - He wasn't apparently - Lambert or Villa had been after him for a while it seems

Re: Ashley Westwood - progress report

"Clubs had monitored Ash for a long period of time. Villa came in, we thought Villa was a bit of a surprise. But then we found out that they had a thirty game dossier on him so they've done their homework; they knew what they were getting. But nobody else did, so fair play to them; they came in late with all their money and what a fantastic opportunity for him."

Crewe manager Steve Davis on Westwood's transfer to Villa

ergo - I wonder if we'll go back for Dale Stephens in January - he's box to box apparently and scored again for Charlton yesterday?