Joe Bennett

Si.

Give Tony a break, he's still learning about our squad and what level we're at. If he thinks something may benefit us but may upset a few in the process, I'd rather he does it. This is if Bennett's happy to stay.

Maybe the thinking has changed after the last two games, it could be RDM who has decided he made an error of judgement for all we know or maybe he has decided the tactics were wrong and not going to work so is planning on changing it at the back hence the bid for Chester and the rethink on Bennett? Could be a number of things. And i agree with Xia on why sell him to a direct rival? Seems nuts to me.... Xia has likely had Bristol City refusing to sell to him for a similar reason and thought "what the heck?!"

48 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm not for a number of reasons not the least of which being he is not the manager

Much prefer Bennett to Cissokho but as Richard says it's hardly healthy if the owner is overruling the manager.

32 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Give Tony a break, he's still learning about our squad and what level we're at. If he thinks something may benefit us but may upset a few in the process, I'd rather he does it. This is if Bennett's happy to stay.

That's the manager's call regarding the squad not Xia's

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Feel for the lad really if RDM believes that Aly is a better player. 

For me, I'd rather Bennett be backup to Amavi.

Seeing as he was willing to take a paycut to move, obviously wants to play football, shame to leave him in limbo. 

I think it's probably mostly down to him being seen as a bit lightweight to be honest. I actually think he is a decent player, and has been mentioned should probably actually function as a left winger some day.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Good news- Amavi is clearly not fit as shown last night, Cissoko the less said the better, Bennett has decent experience at this level. For the next few months this makes sense- situation can be addressed again in January if required.

Regarding who blocked the move- in the unlikely event it's the chairmen, then wise move which needed to be made. Roberto should be fully onboard with the decision factoring what we have seen first two games- if not then he can leave as well, no big loss given state we are in as a club right now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Not a great sign that Xia is getting involved to this extent.

I've not read the article on what's happened but does it appear it's definitely him who has taken this decision or just the media making up a story on the back of last night? Would RDM really not be part of this decision?

I can't really see Xia making this call on his own unless he's going a bit crazy on the basis that he scored a couple of goals pre season.

Alternatively maybe someone is looking to pay something for Cissokho? Or worse Amavi.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

who may have spoken to agents / wednesday etc involved in the deal

If another reason / something else materialises to contradict this story then fair enough. If the article is a total lie we'll presumably hear about it soon enough

Surely this is the point - they may have done.  The agent may also have been told that Villa have reconsidered and then "interpreted" that a Xia had reconsidered.  It might be that we still want to sell but after defeat at the weekend to Wednesday Xia has questioned whether we should be selling any players to other clubs in the promotion mix (which is not unreasonable).  It could be that RDM and the other officials at the club have become more concerned that promotion is tough and asked Xia to contact Wednesday and block the deal.  Or it could all be bollocks.  Surely it is a bigger story for the BM if they can claim that Xia has blocked a deal against RDM's wishes than it is to report that the club have re-considered?  So surely the onus is for them to prove this is the case rather than anyone else to prove that it isn't?  I suspect that if I'd been involved in the negotiations and the club had then had a change of heart that the easiest thing to say (and to save a bit of face) is that the owner has changed his mind and the decision was made over my head.  Doesn't make it entirely true.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I've not read the article on what's happened but does it appear it's definitely him who has taken this decision or just the media making up a story on the back of last night? Would RDM really not be part of this decision?

I can't really see Xia making this call on his own unless he's going a bit crazy on the basis that he scored a couple of goals pre season.

Alternatively maybe someone is looking to pay something for Cissokho? Or worse Amavi.

Yes precisely- seems like the media are jumping on Xia's quote last night and using that to fuel the fire he is controlling which players are in/out.

• Like 1

Someone tweeted Xia quite aggressively that he shouldn't interfere in footballing matters and he replied by saying that he couldn't agree more. He's said on numerous other times as well that he's not going to interfere.

• Like 2

Â