Joe Bennett

Si.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

who may have spoken to agents / wednesday etc involved in the deal

Gregg Evans should always be taken with a massive pinch of salt. I won't go into detail but through AVPG I found that he is occasionally very loose with the truth. This despite the fact we were feeding him and the paper material on an almost daily basis. 

Maybe that was a one off and I'm doing him a disservice, maybe he thought were a bit of a joke, but my faith in him as a journalist has been dented. Other than that he seems like a nice bloke, for what it's worth!

It's entirely possible he was fed bum info and didn't follow it up, like your average journalist. 

Xia has already responded to this by saying it's not true and not to listen to what the media say. It's the best we're going to get I think, up to us to believe either/or. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

After last night I imagine Tony and RDM sat down and had a long chat about what the hell they need to do to get us back on track quick.  Tony said do what you need to do, hence 3 quick signings and the Bennett turnaround to give a lot more defensive options.

• Like 3

Don't see the problem. Lots of ifs to this story, but worse case scenario: 

RDM: I don't want you, Joe Bennett

JB: okay, I'll move.

---------------

RDM to avfc staff behind the scene: I don't want Joe Bennett, he can be sold.

avfc staff: ok, we will sort this out.

--------------

Xia: Hang on, probably not best to sell to a promotion (fingers crossed) rival.

Hardly interfering with RDM is it. It's not like he's saying JB should be in the team, he's just saying (we think) not to sell to a 'rival'. Seems sensible to me. 

1 minute ago, VERB27 said:

Hardly interfering with RDM is it. It's not like he's saying JB should be in the team, he's just saying (we think) not to sell to a 'rival'. Seems sensible to me. 

After being told he is not wanted he is hardly going to feature,  will hang around like a bad smell and basically it was suggested that RDM wants a slimmed down squad as it is easier to manage.  How does retaining players that the manager does not want help in that.  Besides it's not like we have several clubs beating down the door to buy him,  we have a willing buyer for a player the manager feels is surplus to requirements.  get rid

• Like 1

I think the people who believe xia has interfered probably want it to be the case as its a good excuse to have a moan. 

I'd imagine RDM was happy for Bennet to leave and has changed his mind after watching the other 2 options play 90 mins each. 

Rather than admit the turnaround is because our current players are shit, xia has give a reasonable story to put out there. 

• Like 3

Because of the lack of width mentioned in the team and the need for wingers to bomb forward, i would have thought that Bennett in a wide midfield role with Amavi behind him would be something to try. Bennett is meant to have some defensive nous after all and seems to be able to cross and take set pieces.

7 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

We aren't a charity. Supposedly he was moving on a free transfer, he might be awful but that is terrible business even for us.

Even a £1m fee would do but to give him away for free is pretty ridiculous.

Further to this, we don't know the intricacies of the deal and whether we're being asked to subsidise wages. Would a fellow "promotion" rival hand a player to us on a free, even if that player didn't fit in with their plans. It's essentially making Sheff Wed squad stronger.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Someone must have originally agreed to a free transfer 

Maybe it was planned to disrupt Sheff Wed, now they have to move on other targets, still cruel on Bennett (pure speculation, mind)

Edited by GENTLEMAN
added more

28 minutes ago, AndFos said:

Or could it be that RDM and Tony agreed after yesterday that it was better to sell Cissokho and keep Bennet?

Dont know how they would have figured that out from yesterday unless Cissokho was spitting chewing gum on the bench.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

them mind games with Sheffield Wednesday really worked on Sunday ;)

I thought, you think you will steal money from Villa by charging us 42 quid a ticket.  Well show you by getting you to pay for medicals and lawyers then pull the plug.

Â