Joe Bennett

Si.

Ok, I sorta started this with my comment that his TWO goals from free kicks may be more the result of inept goal keeping.   And in at least one of them, the video looks to confirm that possibility.   But I want to remind you of my second point.   HE PUT A FREE KICK ON FRAME AND PAST THE FIRST DEFENDER!!!!!  That's better than the sizeable majority of our attacking free kicks last year !

He deserves some careful consideration on that alone, relative to those playing for us last year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Ok, I sorta started this with my comment that his TWO goals from free kicks may be more the result of inept goal keeping.   And in at least one of them, the video looks to confirm that possibility.   But I want to remind you of my second point.   HE PUT A FREE KICK ON FRAME AND PAST THE FIRST DEFENDER!!!!!  That's better than the sizeable majority of our attacking free kicks last year !

He deserves some careful consideration on that alone, relative to those playing for us last year.

Oh don't get me wrong, I genuinely think Joe can do a job for us this year, just not sure left back is his strongest position though, maybe push him up to left midfield?

He is also a beautiful looking thing!!

• Like 1

EDIT

Ignore all that. I see he signed a contract extension to keep him with us until 2017.

Thought his contract would end this year.

What halfwitted idiot gave him a contract extension FFS?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, briny_ear said:

EDIT

Ignore all that. I see he signed a contract extension to keep him with us until 2017.

Thought his contract would end this year.

What halfwitted idiot gave him a contract extension FFS?

Really? That info on a new deal slipped past me as well. In answer to your question at the end, I guess it was probably the same halfwitted idiot who awarded Hutton and Gabby their last contracts. Unless, it was the original contract with the option of an additional year tagged on, which we took up to get a fee?

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It sounds like he has been performing well in preseason. 

Perhaps a combination of him getting more experience and us dropping down a league means he has finally found his level with us?

We've played some shit teams in pre season. I'm sure that is his level. 

19 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You don't think he could have improved since he last played for us?

19 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You don't think he could have improved since he last played for us?

I'm sure he's better than the abysmal player he was for us. But I don't have high hopes. 

He's the type who will look good in preseason because he's a decent player. The issue is that he crumbles when it's a competitive tough environment. When he proves he can do that better I'll have more faith

Might be slightly OT, but Tony Bennet celebrated his 90th birthday yesterday in NY.

Billy Joel performed "Highway to hell" by AC/DC for some reason...

Anyway, carry on.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Might be slightly OT, but Tony Bennet celebrated his 90th birthday yesterday in NY.

Billy Joel performed "Highway to hell" by AC/DC for some reason...

Anyway, carry on.

Gordon Bennet will live forever

re. BJ - didnt think he was both ways inclined

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

If Tony Xia can't or won't fork out to get in a better LB squad player than Joey Bennett, that will be the first tiny increment of disillusion with him in my eyes.

Who said he can't or won't??? Our manager decides, not him and given we have at least 3 already in the squad, I would say it is sensible and prudent to not squander a few million on some crappy squad player so that we now have 4. WE NEED BETTER PLAYERS THAT WILL REPLACE A CURRENT FIRST TEAM PLAYER not add to a bloated group of squad players.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm sure he's better than the abysmal player he was for us. But I don't have high hopes. 

He's the type who will look good in preseason because he's a decent player. The issue is that he crumbles when it's a competitive tough environment. When he proves he can do that better I'll have more faith

He's shown glimpses in the Premier League (granted, only glimpses!) and has performed for a while at Championship level.  If Amavi stays (huge if), Bennett as backup/rotation left back is absolutely fine IMO.

Â