Joe Bennett

Si.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

...However the the very big up side to this is that we must be confident of Amavi staying for the season!

i have a horrible feeling he will go on deadline day leaving us with no one but cissokho

People talk about getting rid of the dross.  Now whether Cissokho or Bennett are the better leftback is kind of irrelevant.  Ultimately we need rid of both, and as we the fans have largely agreed that it's difficult, or more difficult, to get rid of the unwanted players then I think we need to be selling them whenever the chance comes up.  As it seems to have done here.

Neither player is good enough for us and neither will usurp Amavi once he's fit.  In the meantime either will do, or even Baker if needs be.  We won't miss Bennett.  We didn't miss him last year.  Yes he might have been allowed more chances than he got, but I don't think he'd have pulled up any trees.  Best of luck to him at his new club though.  And some of you lot now need a new crush :P 

• Like 4

Hi Guys

He was very competent on loan for us last season.  He didn't play many games due to the excellent Pudil and then he got an injury.  However, when we play weekend then midweek then weekend Carlos likes to rotate his full backs.

He played in some tricky matches away at Hull and away at Brighton and we kept clean sheets in both of them and Bennett played well (against Snodgrass and Knockaert).

I don't think there will be many better back up left backs at Championship level and he certainly looks a better player than your left back on Sunday (admittedly just one match).

But if he isn't your first choice full back it could be a good move for both parties.

As the season goes on I suspect that you will realise that quite a few players are decent in this division that you considered not to be up to it in the PL.  Its just that this is their level.  I am convinced you will find this with Gestede.  Look at Jerome at Norwich, every time he scores goals in this division and looks out of his depth in the PL.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WAWAW said:

Hi Guys

He was very competent on loan for us last season.  He didn't play many games due to the excellent Pudil and then he got an injury.  However, when we play weekend then midweek then weekend Carlos likes to rotate his full backs.

He played in some tricky matches away at Hull and away at Brighton and we kept clean sheets in both of them and Bennett played well (against Snodgrass and Knockaert).

I don't think there will be many better back up left backs at Championship level and he certainly looks a better player than your left back on Sunday (admittedly just one match).

But if he isn't your first choice full back it could be a good move for both parties.

As the season goes on I suspect that you will realise that quite a few players are decent in this division that you considered not to be up to it in the PL.  Its just that this is their level.  I am convinced you will find this with Gestede.  Look at Jerome at Norwich, every time he scores goals in this division and looks out of his depth in the PL.

Good luck for the season mate. Sheffield Wednesday are a great club, was really impressed how you conducted yourself on the pitch Sunday

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WAWAW said:

I think you make a decent point about some players. Ours though are just shit

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Did he sign a five year deal when we signed him? 

He signed a 1 year extension last year which brings him up to next summer.  So as we signed him in 2012 the initial contract must have been for 4 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WAWAW said:

Hi Guys

Bennett was woeful in his first season for us-He was young and had made the jump up to the prem for us.  It just didn't work out for him.  He seems to have found his level in the championship though.

From Villas point of view, we have Amavi at left back who is the best left back in the division by quite a distance.  He is way too good for the division and had he not have been just coming back from serious injury, it's doubtful we would have kept hold of him.  We were then faced with deciding who was best out of the other 2 left backs to keep as cover.  One of them was inevitably going to go.  One is the better defender, the other is better going forward.  I think our manager felt that for back up, it was best to keep the better defender.

3 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I'll never forget the roasting he took from Zavon Hines, it was an awful pity the Lambert went for him rather than Cresswell who was linked at the time also. t

Wasn't Lambert's fault, Randy refused to cough up.

• Like 1

Didn't they want £6m at the time?

Either way the Bennett deal was a hideous piece of business, never seen a player so out of his depth. The move was just way too soon for the kid.

Would still have him over Cissokho because he can actually do that football thing, but needs must. 3 left backs just isn't going to fly when you are paying Gabby Lescott and Micah to pick their arses.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

In the PL for us, him and Toner were together the worst players I think I have ever seen for us. He has kept his head down and not moaned so food luck to him, but he really isn't good enough. 

Agree about Bennett as a poor player.. But toner hasn't looked that bad in my eyes

Â