Joe Bennett

Si.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe Bennett is closing in on a permanent move to Sheffield Wednesday, the Birmingham Mail understands.

Aston Villa’s Championship rivals have been keen on the 26-year-old all summer and are expected to sign the left-back in the next 24 hours.

Bennett was left out of Villa’s opening day defeat at Hillsborough as boss Roberto Di Matteo favoured Aly Cissokho and Jordan Amavi ahead of the ex-Middlesbrough man.

And after holding talks with the manager over the weekend, he has decided that a move away from Villa is now his best option.

Bennett maybe heading to Sheffield Wednesday?

With Cissokho favoured at the weekend, the writing was on the wall. When Amavi is fully fit then his game time will be zero. A good move for all parties I guess, although I imagine this means Cissokho will be staying here for now.

In the PL for us, him and Toner were together the worst players I think I have ever seen for us. He has kept his head down and not moaned so food luck to him, but he really isn't good enough. 

• Like 1

We have seen this before , out the team for ages and becomes a better player for it.

The guy was utterly dreadfull for us and had plenty of game time and just because there is the remote chance that he is a better player than Ali that does not make him a good enough player for us.

• Like 2

Â