Joe Bennett

Si.

Good attitude, low wages (I imagine a fair bit less than Cissokho) and better than last years backup Kieran Richardson.

Out of his depth perhaps in the Premier League, but even at the time I think a lot of the abuse he received was more that he was 'flavour of the month' in terms of being a scapegoat and i'm sure that worked wonders for his confidence...

I'd say in this league he's more than adequate as a backup for Amavi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSV said:

Will be a decent back up to Amavi. Cissohko probably will leave. 

This is still Villa...

Will be decent back up to Cissohko.  Amavi probably will leave.

Neither of them are particularly good. I haven't seen Bennett for a while so he *might* have got better. I have seen Cissokho, and he's absolute toilet. Since Cissokho probably earns far more as well, I'd probably on balance bin him and keep Bennett, but let's be honest this isn't an inspiring discussion. 

• Like 2

Its the choice between chlamydia and gonorrhea.

We've collectively had one in the recent past but the other we haven't had for awhile.

Thankfully though we have STD free horizontal refreshment back from injury so hopefully we need neither! 

ill hold my hand up and be honest that i wasnt a fan of his at first, he was out of his depth in the premier league and was far too weak, since then hes clearly bulked up, but dont think he has played a game since, the championship would do him good before the club goes back up

I've always thought, even when he was at Middlesbrough, that Bennett's real position should be as a wide left midfielder.

My reasoning for that being that he has great delivery from corners and free-kicks, as well as from open play but, as a defender he is pretty clueless.

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

Its the choice between chlamydia and gonorrhea.

We've collectively had one in the recent past but the other we haven't had for awhile.

Thankfully though we have STD free horizontal refreshment back from injury so hopefully we need neither! 

Ha, we should just retire the left back position, play 3-4-2-1 or something mad.

the fact that he scored two long range free kicks v GAK may well be down to an inept keeper.  But, long-range and on frame is, of itself, and improvement on our recent past.

I would like to see him play to see if he has learned to defend better.  If not, a left side of Amavi with Joe right in front might be fun.  Most have thought Bennett was solid in attack but suspect in defense.

If we have Bennet as an attacking option we really are scraping the barrel, thankfully the word removed that used to own us has gone and chances of the likes of Bennet being around this team for much longer than their current deal is slim.

• Like 1

I don't think he has ever been that bad, last close season he looked good and scored a great solo goal then was shipped out.

I don't think he can defend, but i used to think he could play a different wide or midfield role, maybe that is wishful thinking.

Either way I think we should give him a chance or sell him, no more loans.

3 hours ago, 1958Villan said:

I've always thought, even when he was at Middlesbrough, that Bennett's real position should be as a wide left midfielder.

My reasoning for that being that he has great delivery from corners and free-kicks, as well as from open play but, as a defender he is pretty clueless.

Pretty much this, but yeah, Cissokho is dog shite awful.

I'll leave it up to RDM in all honesty though, I mean what do I know? I'm just a slightly overweight 41 year old semi-professional nobody.

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

the fact that he scored two long range free kicks v GAK may well be down to an inept keeper.  But, long-range and on frame is, of itself, and improvement on our recent past.

I would like to see him play to see if he has learned to defend better.  If not, a left side of Amavi with Joe right in front might be fun.  Most have thought Bennett was solid in attack but suspect in defense.

Yup, looks like Guzan played for them to make the numbers up.

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I don't think he has ever been that bad, last close season he looked good and scored a great solo goal t

Against a League 2 side as a sub in extra time.

Â